Goodbye Charlie... (OFFICIAL I am Leaving DISH Thread)

volfan615

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
Been a loyal Dish customer for 10 years but tomorrow is my last day with them. I've finally had enough of buggy hardware and promises of new technology that take much longer than promised. But the Fox deal finally pushed me over the edge. This negotiations scenario has played out way too many times.

And.. the only thing they wanted to offer me not to leave are channels that I already subscribe to in place of FX, etc.

I'm enjoying Cox Cable in OKC. I got Dish in December 2003 when I bought my first HDTV. Dish had the most HD offerings at the time, Cox had the least. Cable here has caught up to, and now passed Dish in HD channels. The receivers aren't technical marvels like the Dish receivers are, but they get the job done.

Reliability is up, and bundled TV and internet is an advantage. Local severe weather alerts are carried over Cox. The dish is usually down when bad weather blows in here.

Honestly I think it depends on what local cable providers you have on whether or not Dish is the best option. The only option for us other than satellite is Time Warner, and their service leaves lots to be desired. We tried it for a few months after moving and it seemed nightly we were saying how much Dish trumped TW in so many ways.

We have family and friends in areas with AT&T's UVerse, which I love, but it's not available in our area. If that were an option I'd seriously look at moving to it, but it's not.

So cheers for folks who leave Dish for greener pastures, but for where we're at Dish still offers the best bang for the buck plus in the 3+ years we've had our VIP 722 it's worked like a champ.

Sam

The two biggest problems with UVerse are the crappy DVR and the limit of 2 HD streams in the whole house. The hard drive is tiny, the interface is slow and I need the option to record more than 2 HD programs at once in my house.

I'm enjoying Cox Cable in OKC. I got Dish in December 2003 when I bought my first HDTV. Dish had the most HD offerings at the time, Cox had the least. Cable here has caught up to, and now passed Dish in HD channels. The receivers aren't technical marvels like the Dish receivers are, but they get the job done.

Reliability is up, and bundled TV and internet is an advantage. Local severe weather alerts are carried over Cox. The dish is usually down when bad weather blows in here.

Yep, been with Dish for a few years and Self-installed Comcast in SE Mich. just the other day. First thing I noticed was much brighter, clearer HD channels.

Last edited:
The two biggest problems with UVerse are the crappy DVR and the limit of 2 HD streams in the whole house. The hard drive is tiny, the interface is slow and I need the option to record more than 2 HD programs at once in my house.

Not to mention the real deal breaker...can only pause live TV from the DVR receiver, not the other rooms.

Comast and a Tivo Premiere is where I am headed for now. Of course I don't have a contact with cable so I have time to evaluate where to go from here.

Comast and a Tivo Premiere is where I am headed for now. Of course I don't have a contact with cable so I have time to evaluate where to go from here.

Comcast isn't doing commitments? Mediacom does if you want any kind of deal. I had looked at them when I switched my internet to them, but their 20 or so HD channels just left me unimpressed. I will say that the 2-year, $75/month 3-fer deal was tempting though.

My in-laws bit on a Mediacom (or Mediacon, as they now refer to them) deal. 2 year contract with cable with their DVR, telephone, and internet for $99 a month (it clearly said for the first year, but they didn't realize this). The first thing they found out when they switched from E* was that when the bill came, it was $116 due to taxes. Then after the bill for the 13th month came, it was $207. Couldn't cancel because of the 2 year deal. I'll take my chances with Charlie, RSN's or not.

Been a loyal Dish customer for 10 years but tomorrow is my last day with them. I've finally had enough of buggy hardware and promises of new technology that take much longer than promised. .

Enjoy life on the other side of the fence. I don't know that it's going to be that much greener....

Pay-TV subscribers increasingly unhappy with monthly bills, survey says

"Satellite TV carriers didn’t do too badly either, with both Dish Network and DirecTV consistently getting four or five stars out of five in J.D. Power’s overall satisfaction ratings.

Meanwhile, cable providers tended to fall anywhere from the middle to the bottom of the list, with carriers like Cox and Time Warner Cable in the four- to three-star range depending on the region.

At the bottom of the J.D. Power list, usually with just two out of five stars, three cable carriers appear time and again: Charter, Comcast, and Mediacom Communications.
"

It's a rough and cruel world out there. Hope you find what you're looking for.

After almost 14 years...I did it

Ordered DirecTV on Wednesday, had it installed this morning.

2 HR24’s & 2 H23’3

And before the Fan Boy’s start with the “don’t let the door hit you on the way out”, I’m not going to bash DISH it was just the right move for me at this time.

I now have all of my RSN's in HD including MSG, MSG+, SNY and YES.

I will miss a few of the movie channels but the added sports in HD will more than make up for it.

Getting a break for the promotional period and will pay about the same when it’s over. Money however was not the ultimate factor, programming was. And I was sure to let them know that.

They made a real attempt to keep my $140 a month when I called to cancel, 13 years is a long time.

Not bashing, but why the need to make an announcement? Just fade away quietly into the night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)