Goodbye, DirecTV!!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

2005matto

Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
I live in the St. Louis area. Charter is the local cable company here. They have the Motorola MOXI HDDVR with ZERO upfront cost. I called DirecTV and asked at least 2 CSR's for a price on a HDDVR. The price was $499.00 and this is for a LEASED piece of equipment!!!!! Also, sometime this month DirecTV is going to switch the St. Louis locals to MPEG4 - no free upgrade to the new dish/receiver is available. I paid $400.00 for the current dish/receiver at Best Buy a little more than 2 years ago. Now that equipment is about to become obsolete. Lastly, the Cardinals and Blues show 10-15 Fox Sports games in HD. Charter channel 792 has all of these games on. Every once in a while DirecTV will show one of these games on channel 95. So, I have made the switch and I won't look back. There are some minor drawbacks. KDNL (ABC affiliate) HD feed is not carried on Charter. Also, no ESPN2-HD or TNT-HD. Other than that, Charter is way better!

See Ya - DirecTV!!!!!!!!!!

Matto

Can't say that I blame you. To spend $900.00 over three years and end up with a leased piece of equipment is hard to swallow. Also, poor planning on D*'s part relative to getting the locals up with MPEG4, yet not having a DVR to support it. It seemed that D* was going to lead the pack in HD a couple of years ago, then, all of the sudden, E* got both equipment and programming launched before them.

Why in the world whould he have paid money for his equipment!!!! D* was giving it away for free.

I like the: "its better but I don't get this, or this, or this, but its still better".

No system has everything, now that C/Ku has burned out.

2005matto said:
I live in the St. Louis area. Charter is the local cable company here. They have the Motorola MOXI HDDVR with ZERO upfront cost. I called DirecTV and asked at least 2 CSR's for a price on a HDDVR. The price was $499.00 and this is for a LEASED piece of equipment!!!!! Also, sometime this month DirecTV is going to switch the St. Louis locals to MPEG4 - no free upgrade to the new dish/receiver is available. I paid $400.00 for the current dish/receiver at Best Buy a little more than 2 years ago. Now that equipment is about to become obsolete. Lastly, the Cardinals and Blues show 10-15 Fox Sports games in HD. Charter channel 792 has all of these games on. Every once in a while DirecTV will show one of these games on channel 95. So, I have made the switch and I won't look back. There are some minor drawbacks. KDNL (ABC affiliate) HD feed is not carried on Charter. Also, no ESPN2-HD or TNT-HD. Other than that, Charter is way better!

See Ya - DirecTV!!!!!!!!!!

Matto

I don't understand posts like this saying goodbye to X service or Y service.

If someone wants to switch, then good for them. But honestly, why feel the need to tell us? Does it bring some sort of justification of your actions by letting us know?

I hope you got a good deal. But beware the sticker shock when your cable "deal" runs out.

Too bad he left D* yesterday! Check out this morning announcement:
From SkyReport:

Four New HD Markets for DBS Giant
Beginning today, DirecTV is offering local high-def channels to customers in four new markets: Milwaukee, Phoenix, Salt Lake and St. Louis.
DirecTV's roll out of local HD channels is part of a nationwide expansion of HD programming that will culminate in 2007, when the satellite TV service will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels.

DirecTV offers local HD channels in 24 cities with plans to launch an additional 26 cities later this year, which will cover more than 65 percent of U.S. television households.

2005matto said:
I paid $400.00 for the current dish/receiver at Best Buy a little more than 2 years ago. Now that equipment is about to become obsolete.

What did you buy for $400 2 years ago that is about to become obsolete?

-JustBob

Proc said:
I don't understand posts like this saying goodbye to X service or Y service.

If someone wants to switch, then good for them. But honestly, why feel the need to tell us? Does it bring some sort of justification of your actions by letting us know?

I hope you got a good deal. But beware the sticker shock when your cable "deal" runs out.

I imagine its somewhat cathartic.

kentuck1163 said:
I imagine its somewhat cathartic.
Agreed...and lame...and self-indulging....and useless.

These people must think that the world operates on the herd mentality - I'm first, so follow me. This is now, and always has been, a personal choice. If somone's happy - great. If not - move on. Either way, it means nothing to anyone else.

Satmeister said:
These people must think that the world operates on the herd mentality - I'm first, so follow me.

He's not first. And the herd mentality is more applicable to the D* Hdlite viewership IMO.

vurbano said:
He's not first. And the herd mentality is more applicable to the D* Hdlite viewership IMO.
OK...I had a momentary memory lapse - YOU, of course, uttered the first moo in the herd. Gotta give credit where credit is due. The rest of the observations, however, still hold true.

Satmeister said:
OK...I had a momentary memory lapse - YOU, of course, uttered the first moo in the herd. Gotta give credit where credit is due. The rest of the observations, however, still hold true.

I see nothing wrong with his post. He's not bashing anyone. Sorry you are so narrow minded.

vurbano said:
I see nothing wrong with his post. He's not bashing anyone. Sorry you are so narrow minded.

No he's not bashing anyone, that is true.

However, I don't think anyone here really cares that he/she is leaving D*.

Bringing up positives, negatives, etc. is fair game, but who the hell cares if someone quits subscribing. I dropped my subscription to Sports Illustrated but I'm not on the forums of ESPN and CBS Sportline announcing my cancellation.

Proc said:
No he's not bashing anyone, that is true.

However, I don't think anyone here really cares that he/she is leaving D*.

Bringing up positives, negatives, etc. is fair game, but who the hell cares if someone quits subscribing. I dropped my subscription to Sports Illustrated but I'm not on the forums of ESPN and CBS Sportline announcing my cancellation.

Proc how dare you drop your subscription to SI!!!..This should be a new forum. (I hope others see this is only a joke)..I know SI forums dont belong here.

vurbano said:
I wouldn't suspect that any D*TV basher would have a problem with these kind of goofy posts. Anything negative about D*TV is glorified quite regularly by some.

These solo "declaration of independence" posts (as if they're some kind of big deal :rolleyes: ) are a laughable joke. For every one of these "defectors", D*TV is gaining more than 4 replacements. For the past year and a half, the new subscribers have out numbered the dropoffs (AKA churn) by over 1.25 Million. Churn is a normal part of any business, and D*TV's 1.9 - 3.1% rate average is nothing, compared to their NET growth rate.

..and yet the fodder of one person leaving D*TV is celebrated one lame thread at a time....over and over....on and on..... Totally a farse of the exponential kind. :cool:
Plywodstatebum said:
Whats the old saying? Don't let the door hit ya in the a$$..... Getting tired of all the crying about D* just go somewhere else, They'll be back some day.
AMEN BROTHER.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts