Goodbye Dish

enoree

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2005
My 211K started shutting off and rebooting by itself today, I did all of the usual things, but no luck so i called Dish, got to level 2 tech,got it back up for about an hour, then it shut off again and I had to unplug it to get it to start up. Gotta be a hardware problem. So, i called again, level 2, agreed it needed replacing, told them i was a long term sub and commit was up, they said no charge and the could have someone there on Tuesday.....well today is Wednesday, that meant a week with no TV, that is NOT acceptable, told them that DirecTV could be out tomorrow with a new install,they basically said take it or leave it as far as fixing it goes,..........well Dish, you just lost another sub, DirecTV is coming out tomorrow between 12 and 4 with a Genie and a new slimline dish, I only thought that Charter was so crappy on service times, but dish stepped over that bar as far as this sub is concerned.
So...BYE BYE DISH.

Best of luck with Directv. Should be quite nice. Surprised it would have taken Dish that long to get out to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A week is too long. That said, seems like a quick decision, maybe you were already thinking of switching?

Not sure why dish would say take it or leave it. Those schedules mean absolutely nothing. If they tried they could have a customer installed the next morning.

I imagine that the op may have gotten upset and threatened to cancel and the csr might have been trying to call his bluff...

However, going from a 211 to a genie is some what of an equipment jump. Me thinks there was a "give me a free upgrade" thrown in there somewhere. How ever. We may never know.

NO, I was just ticked off about the time frame and told them that DirecTV could install new equipment the next day if i called them and he copped an attitude then, so I decided OK, buddy, you just lost a sub, I didn't even have the Genie in mind, just wanted TV and I would not be home on Tuesday, which meant probably a longer delay.
He acted like he was doing me a favor, well I just returned the favor pal.
I do not have to put up with crappy CSR's, it is MY money and if they don't want it, i am sure another provider will be happy to provide what I want.

As a long time Purdue Boilermaker, good riddance to you.:)

Seriously though, I was with D* for 4 years and they are a good company, especially if you like sports and premium channels in HD. I get weekly letters from them asking me to come back and someday I'll probably take them up on their offer. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My 211K started shutting off and rebooting by itself today, I did all of the usual things, but no luck so i called Dish, got to level 2 tech,got it back up for about an hour, then it shut off again and I had to unplug it to get it to start up. Gotta be a hardware problem. So, i called again, level 2, agreed it needed replacing, told them i was a long term sub and commit was up, they said no charge and the could have someone there on Tuesday.....well today is Wednesday, that meant a week with no TV, that is NOT acceptable, told them that DirecTV could be out tomorrow with a new install,they basically said take it or leave it as far as fixing it goes,..........well Dish, you just lost another sub, DirecTV is coming out tomorrow between 12 and 4 with a Genie and a new slimline dish, I only thought that Charter was so crappy on service times, but dish stepped over that bar as far as this sub is concerned.
So...BYE BYE DISH.

I would have just bought a used or new one from eBay with a clean account number. Have it shipped in 2 days and activate it when it arrives. I usually keep an extra receiver in the closet.

NO, I was just ticked off about the time frame and told them that DirecTV could install new equipment the next day if i called them and he copped an attitude then, so I decided OK, buddy, you just lost a sub, I didn't even have the Genie in mind, just wanted TV and I would not be home on Tuesday, which meant probably a longer delay.
He acted like he was doing me a favor, well I just returned the favor pal.
I do not have to put up with crappy CSR's, it is MY money and if they don't want it, i am sure another provider will be happy to provide what I want.

I probably would have contacted DiRT here first. But I totally understand where you are coming from. I had the same type of thing happen last year but in reverse, and now I am with Dish. Although the next Come back offer I see from D* may get a better look now that my discounts are gone and that the Hopper prices are going up.

They could have just mailed one to you and you would have had it in 3-5 business days. I have had several people tell me how it takes Directv a week or longer to show up and they do not show up when they say they are going to so it is no different with them.

When I get a CSR that I cannot deal with I hang up and try again. I got that idea from this website many years ago. Some of them just don't care.

Looking at your posting history you seem to bounce back and forth between DISH an Directv every 2 years

What does that have to do with anything? This is TV not a marriage. If I was out of contract and left without service for a week I would probably check out the competition too.

I was satisfied with Dish UNTIL last night, the Direct installer was here before noon and left about 1:30, new Genie, everything works great, will try out the iPad remote control app in a bit.
Did NOT have any intention of switching at the start of the day yesterday, but the CSR made that happen, the first level tech was some offshore person that was EXTREMELY hard to understand. the 2nd level actually sounded like he was in this country, and the final CSR was US based too. In any case Charlie lost a long time sub yesterday. who had no plans to leave until confronted with such wonderful, caring CSR's.

What does that have to do with anything? This is TV not a marriage. If I was out of contract and left without service for a week I would probably check out the competition too.

Same here. I just waited almost a week for my wireless internet provider to send a tech to replace my antenna. The previous owner allowed subs to do it. Unfortunately, their only competition is dial-up or I'd be an ex-customer.

Why are there always people that assume he is not telling the truth? I will never understand why some people think a company can't mess up once in a while. Plus who cares if he bounces back and fourth. Why does that matter and who's business is it anyway???? I don't get that be loyal to a TV provider no matter what thing either. :rolleyes:

Why are there always people that assume he is not telling the truth? I will never understand why some people think a company can't mess up once in a while. Plus who cares if he bounces back and fourth. Why does that matter and who's business is it anyway???? I don't get that be loyal to a TV provider no matter what thing either. :rolleyes:

Retailers get that way because we find that customers lie air in order to get what they want. It's just human nature. I'm not saying the customer is lying at all. I actually believe him, just sounds like a bad CSR.

I had something like that happen with Direct. Our two year deal was way up and I thought hey lets try a Genie. I called up and asked. The rep said $300 and a new two year deal. I said look I don't want anything free but can you do a little better? He said that is the best they could do. I had been with them for 6 years and enjoyed the service. I talked it over with the wife and we went with 2 Hoppers and Dish. I have said this before I have no ill will toward Direct but I could not justify $300 and a new two year deal. Especially with the deal Dish gave us. I am sure you will enjoy Direct. I found their DVR's slow but to each their own.

Don't let anyone on any message board give you grief for switching. Do it whenever you need to. It's none of anyone's business.

Not sure why a tech would have to be sent, the few times I have had to have a unit replaced they would just UPS one out and it would be here in a day or two. Hell, a couple of days ago I was asking about an upgrade to a Hopper and they told me they could have a tech out the same afternoon to install it if I wanted to switch from the 922 I currently have. You out in BFE?

Why did you need a tech visit. Usually Dish will just send you a replacement and you install it yourself. Comes with instructions. I replaced my 722 several times and my 211 once. Usually came in 2 business days. I would then send back the old one. At that time all it cost was $15 for shipping.

As offered up before, had the OP contacted Dirt, he would probably not taken the turn he did. I'm still amazed at all the apparent "regulars" here who don't take the Dirt option. But then again, he might have been looking for a reason to switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)