Google introduces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI streaming solution for televisions

I guess the ideal solution would be to have both options: take power from the HDMI port and also have a USB power option for non-MHL TVs. The question is whether that would still cost $35...

Got to use mine for a little while. It is a snap to set up. If you have android, download the chromecast app, takes literally seconds.

Stream quality is good with the few apps supported. I only briefly used casting from chrome browser with my pc, but it works. Used hulu (free version) basically if you can see it in the browser, you can watch it on the tv through this.

I did have a little lag, but my laptop is very underpowered, and on top of that has been giving me issues for a few months.

All in all, very new (obviously), but there is huge potential here. I can only assume more apps will come online within the respective ecosystems of android and ios. Watch espn is one I am really hoping does.

Pleased for my $35 bucks.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've seen prices on ebay that high. Damn tempted to list it. Lol.

Did you get the Netflix promotion?

I just read that Google dropped it after one day seeing how popular this thing is.

I'm gonna check into it tomorrow. I ordered mine literally seconds after amazon listed it for sale. I Should have it, but I'm not sure how they are saying to redeem it yet. I've gotten no emails. I will contact amazon and Google about it.

Stream quality is good with the few apps supported. I only briefly used casting from chrome browser with my pc, but it works. Used hulu (free version) basically if you can see it in the browser, you can watch it on the tv through this.

Aren't you a Dish Network sub? If so, and you have the Sling Adapter, can you tell me how that works (if at all) on your Chromecast? Is it available (for now) only via casting from a PC?

If you have google tv no need to get chromecast. Google has stated that if you have the current GTV hardware it will get chromecast with the next firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't you a Dish Network sub? If so, and you have the Sling Adapter, can you tell me how that works (if at all) on your Chromecast? Is it available (for now) only via casting from a PC?

?Sorry, I recently swapped back to Directv.

Google has stated that if you have the current GTV hardware it will get chromecast with the next firmware update.

Unfortunately the Logitech Revue is not the latest GTV hardware, and it's unlikely to get any further firmware update, ever. :( Another sore point with me.

I'm interested in hearing more people's experiences using this to stream Free Hulu and CBS.com videos from your Windows based laptop.

That's exactly what I'm wondering about with this device. It sounds great, but if the video is mediocre or the network sites find a way to block this the way they did with GTV, then that $35 is better invested on a wireless keyboard with a built-in touchpad and a hdmi cable for your laptop. You can get both through Amazon (Logitech kb/pad & hdmi cable) for less than $35 w/free shipping.

that $35 is better invested on a wireless keyboard with a built-in touchpad and a hdmi cable for your laptop.
I've been running that setup for years but it ties up my laptop. If I could have a chrome browser running in the background broadcasting to the tv then I could still be answering emails or checking the forums here in a firefox window in the foreground.

I've been running that setup for years but it ties up my laptop. If I could have a chrome browser running in the background broadcasting to the tv then I could still be answering emails or checking the forums here in a firefox window in the foreground.

Wouldn't the Vizio Co-Star do the same thing, but obviously for a little more money? I am not too familiar with the Co-Star, but did read that it comes with the Chrome browser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts