Google introduces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI streaming solution for televisions

Most streaming sites are blocked on the Google TV box. :( Want to watch NBC, CBS or NBC shows with Google TV? Sorry you can't.

This was using your phone or table to get the video (and thus telling the broadcaster you were coming from whatever model phone or tablet you have) the trick now if to allow any program to broadcast to the Chromecast device.

I've been running that setup for years but it ties up my laptop. If I could have a chrome browser running in the background broadcasting to the tv then I could still be answering emails or checking the forums here in a firefox window in the foreground.
You forgot to quote the rest of my post. That buying a wireless kb and hdmi cable for a laptop is a better investment than a chromecast that has mediocre or blocked video. :rolleyes:

edit: I just read the requirements for streaming hd video. And, sadly it needs a fairly strong (newer gen i5 and up) cpu.

I think you're still misunderstanding. Connecting a laptop to HDMI ties up the laptop, and tethers it to a TV. Chromecasting a browser tab ties up a browser tab, and the (presumably) most used services (otherwise why bother?) don't require anything but a wifi network connected to the internet and any mobile device to control it.

Who has experienced blocked video w/ Chromecast, it's a web browser retrieving and rendering the tab, and then an extension is streaming that tab to the TV? I've seen complaints based on wifi strength is all.

I just read the requirements for streaming hd video. And, sadly it needs a fairly strong (newer gen i5 and up) cpu.
I understand your point and you are right, but... Some of us already use our computer hooked to a tv via a cable to watch hulu free, cbs, etc. The question for us isn't Can I get amazing hd video, it is Can I get as good as I've already got without a cable and in a fashion that still allows me to surf the web at the same time. If you have a solution that meets all those needs and gives me pristine video for $35 or less I'll happily try it.

I think you're still misunderstanding. Connecting a laptop to HDMI ties up the laptop, and tethers it to a TV. Chromecasting a browser tab ties up a browser tab, and the (presumably) most used services (otherwise why bother?) don't require anything but a wifi network connected to the internet and any mobile device to control it.

Who has experienced blocked video w/ Chromecast, it's a web browser retrieving and rendering the tab, and then an extension is streaming that tab to the TV? I've seen complaints based on wifi strength is all.
I don't think anyone has experienced blocked video on the Chromecast, but GTV didn't have any problems until the content owners decided they didn't want people watching their web content on something other than a pc. I don't know if it is even possible to block content, but there might be a way to create some sort of drm to prevent "slinging" of that content. And seeing how Google rolled over for the content owners on GTV doesn't give me any hope for them coming up with any counter measures if this ever did happen. Now people have experienced problems with video streaming from the browser. But I'm sure it has something to do with the relatively high hardware requirements.

I understand your point and you are right, but... Some of us already use our computer hooked to a tv via a cable to watch hulu free, cbs, etc. The question for us isn't Can I get amazing hd video, it is Can I get as good as I've already got without a cable and in a fashion that still allows me to surf the web at the same time. If you have a solution that meets all those needs and gives me pristine video for $35 or less I'll happily try it.

The only thing I can think of is the wireless streaming that Intel has available with it's onboard graphics cards. And the last I looked it was a lot pricier than Chromecast. So yes, Chromecast is a good solution. But since I already have a htpc connected to one hdtv and on my other hdtv I have a set-up where I can easily plug-in a laptop, the Chromecast has to have more going for it than just the price. I already have Roku players connected to all three of my tv's, so web video that isn't available on the Roku is my main want. Admittedly Chromecast looks to be a great device (as long as Google follows through on it, but look at Google's track record with GTV). But it might not be for me.

First off, Chromecast is not about getting a Chrome tab on your TV screen. That's just a, for now, beta feature that might not work all that well because of the web content providers stupid insistence on using Flash for web video because it's easy not because it's any good. What Chomecast is designed to do is receive a video URL from a phone, tablet, or PC that has already been authenticated by that device and then played back over your Wifi and only controlled by the originating device to save on battery life.

Second, what excites me more about this little thing even thought I have an AppleTV, a Roku, etc... is the portablilty. I can take this little dongle with me to my in-laws. Connect it to their wifi and share YouTube videos on a big screen instead of crowding around and passing the laptop. Even though the AppleTV is pretty small, it's not as small as this or as easy to power.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/vimeo-redbox-instant-and-plex-coming-to-chromecast/

Verizon’s recently launched Redbox Instant and media center maker Plex have reportedly also voiced their intention to offer support for Google’s new gadget. The Mountain View company has already said Pandora, AOL, and the Washington Post are working to become part of the platform, and it’s been suggested HBO Go could be coming soon, too. Expect the floodgates to open anytime now, if they haven’t already.

Sadly it probably wont get amazon support, but if they could give me pandora and watch espn, I would be very pleased with my $35 (minus netflix discount) spent.

Amazon would have to support android in general to begin with for that to work. I wonder if they'd support it from kindles, kinda defeats the purpose though with no compatible app on other android devices.

Very positive review by Wall Street Journal's tech guru, Walter Mossberg, on the Chromecast, in today's edition, July 31, 2013.

What? I positive review of a Google product from Walt Mosspuppet?

So you know what would be cool... if the Dish Anywhere app could support Chromecast. Again, going to another home and streaming your Hopper to a friends big screen TV... EPIC!!!

?My Chromecast will be here Monday straight from Google. Wish they did Saturday delivery so it wouldn't sit in UPS's Wisconsin distribution center for a day.

You forgot to quote the rest of my post. That buying a wireless kb and hdmi cable for a laptop is a better investment than a chromecast that has mediocre or blocked video. :rolleyes:

edit: I just read the requirements for streaming hd video. And, sadly it needs a fairly strong (newer gen i5 and up) cpu.

While I have not encountered any "blocked" video site yet, I was not able to stream 720p video on chrome tab. On 480p setting, it was very smooth though. I have an early 2012 HP Envy laptop with i7 cpu and 8Gb of RAM with discrete graphic card. It is not the fastest laptop out there but I am sure it is at least above average. My wireless network is really good too.

480p is okay though. I am using it because I don't want to move my laptop to the TV's hdmi. If I could get the 720p figured out, it would be great! I could do Netflix and YouTube in HD just fine with the native app support, but not the chrome tab from laptop.

I was thinking of getting this.

So I skimmed this thread and you guys were discussing it.

If I played a video on my laptop and used tab casting (mirroring) on Chrome to play it on my TV, can I also switch windows and for example, use Firefox to browse the web, while it's playing the video on my TV? Basically, can I multitask with it?

If I used Firefox while it's playing that video, would the video stop playing because Chrome wasn't the active window or would it be okay?

I just wanted to make sure from your guys' experience, that it works okay, since it's been a couple of months since somebody posted in this thread.

I was thinking of getting this.

So I skimmed this thread and you guys were discussing it.

If I played a video on my laptop and used tab casting (mirroring) on Chrome to play it on my TV, can I also switch windows and for example, use Firefox to browse the web, while it's playing the video on my TV? Basically, can I multitask with it?

If I used Firefox while it's playing that video, would the video stop playing because Chrome wasn't the active window or would it be okay?

I just wanted to make sure from your guys' experience, that it works okay, since it's been a couple of months since somebody posted in this thread.

That tab would still be playing no matter what. You could even browse the web on a different tab on Chrome. If you are playing a video full screen, you just need to use Alt-Tab to switch to another program.

Just to put an update on Chrome Tab casting. Since my last post, Google had updated Google Cast extension on 9/25 and now I am able to cast 720p on my laptop. I was also able to cast 720p on a newer 3rd Gen (Ivy Bridge) i3 laptop just using Intel 4000 graphics.

Thanks, Need. I also wanted to ask about this situation.

Let's say I play a video on Chrome and use tab casting to play it on my TV. But my friend uses the laptop at the same time and plays a YouTube video on another Chrome tab or another web browser.

So does the sound get muted on the YouTube video playing on the laptop? Will there be a conflict?

Thanks, Need. I also wanted to ask about this situation.

Let's say I play a video on Chrome and use tab casting to play it on my TV. But my friend uses the laptop at the same time and plays a YouTube video on another Chrome tab or another web browser.

So does the sound get muted on the YouTube video playing on the laptop? Will there be a conflict?

Hmmm never tried playing 2 videos (1 to chromecast) on my laptop yet. If I remember tonight, I will try it. Even though my laptop could cast 720p now, it is not exactly perfect. It will still have a few slow freezes every 10 minutes or so. I am sure playing 2 videos will make it worst so I never try to watch another video with casting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts