Google TV=Discount For Dish Customers

People are really quick to complain about things they don't even know how to use. I'm excited to get a GoogleTV, I didn't want to pay more then $199 for it... so $179 sounds good to me. And $4/month? I really don't care because I know the value I will get having it integrated with the system and it's worth more to me to not have to mess with IR blasters. I HATE IR blasters.

Sign me up.

So what does the fee get you? I might buy one, but not if it comes with a fee. The suggested price will last for probably a month? Then you'll be able to get one for less than $200.

You know that google isn't going exclusive with Dish, so what are other people going to do?

Even the name of the fee is idiotic. Dish wants to charge a $4 "integration" fee when the actual device will work with everything else for free.

I can imagine the meeting... Hey, I know. We'll charge them a fee to have it work with our crap! What a deal. Where's Dilbert's boss when you need him?

" Hey, I know. We'll charge them a fee to have it work with our crap! What a deal." Where's Dilbert's boss when you need him?

Dilbert-04.jpg

Great!! Can't wait! Ready to order mine.

How much you want to bet that this will replace that so called "local weather channel". Dish will just tell you to Google it. :)

SO a $4.00 extra sling fee on top of the $6.00 dvr fee + the new $4.00 Dvr integration fee. So this dvr integration fee is going to be a monthly fee ? If so I would be $14.00 in the hole every month to be able to use the new google box with my 922 dvr.

I think I will pass on this new box. I don't see paying any MORE FEES DAMMIT!:mad: Enough with the extra nickel & dime fees, or should I say extra $4.00 fees.

One of the pictures has the "HD Duo DVR " as a requirement. It sounds like the VIP 612 would be out. I am thinking of switching over and with one TV looks like I could only get the VIP 612 (Not planning on paying the extra for the 922). Anybody with some clarity on this?

622, 722, 722k only initially. 612 and 922 will have to wait for now. Kinda seems a little like a netbook for a tv though. Still, if people can play Farmville on it, there ought to be a line out the door for this then.

So this box wont work with the 922? but it will with the older 722? I am very intrested but I have a 922. Where can I preorder it at?

Heard this email read on the "Buzz Out Loud" podcast from CNET yesterday:

Buzz Crew,

I’d prefer you not reveal my name, but I work with DISH network and we are launching our integrated Google TV box (Logitech built product with an Harmony based IR keyboard remote) on 9/29 (alongside some minor other business changes). The pricing on the Google TV box is $179.99 for a box through DISH Network and the MSRP is $299.99. If you buy through DISH it will cost another $4 a month for the integration services. The box connects to the DISH Network receiver through its HDMI out (HDMI out on the DISH DVR goes into the Logitech Box on an HDMI in and the Logitech Box has an HDMI out that goes to your TV) and is integrated in with the DVR and live TV listings on the Dish Box. This should all be old news, except for the release date and pricing. Hope you can use this.

Here is the link to the show notes from their website: Buzz Out Loud, 09/16/10

So what does the fee get you? I might buy one, but not if it comes with a fee. The suggested price will last for probably a month? Then you'll be able to get one for less than $200.

You know that google isn't going exclusive with Dish, so what are other people going to do?

The GoogleTV won't have to be connected to the DVR using composite or s-video cables like other things you can plug a receiver into like say a Media Center PC or Tivo and control commands are sent over the HDMI cable instead of using IR Blasters that come with the Logitech Revue. So your picture quality coming out of the Dish receiver won't be compromised by using antiquated connection standard. Those are two things I've absolutely hated about using my own DVR or Media Center PC and I'll gladly pay $4/ month for it. Plus it's 100% supported by DISH so you don't have to worry about them engineering something like the idle floating DISH logo that breaks the whole setup.

The GoogleTV won't have to be connected to the DVR using composite or s-video cables like other things you can plug a receiver into like say a Media Center PC or Tivo and control commands are sent over the HDMI cable instead of using IR Blasters that come with the Logitech Revue. So your picture quality coming out of the Dish receiver won't be compromised by using antiquated connection standard. Those are two things I've absolutely hated about using my own DVR or Media Center PC and I'll gladly pay $4/ month for it. Plus it's 100% supported by DISH so you don't have to worry about them engineering something like the idle floating DISH logo that breaks the whole setup.

I understand. Really I do. :)

What I am saying is that why is there a $4 monthly fee. If anything, they might charge a one time fee.

They conflict with their own practices. If you want to use an external HD, you pay a one time fee and your done. ( at least on that dvr )

Other than the "integration", which allows the HDMI communication, what else do I get that justifies the monthly fee?

I'm not trying to argue with you specifically, but more that I am opposed to Dish's model.

I understand. Really I do. :)

What I am saying is that why is there a $4 monthly fee. If anything, they might charge a one time fee.

They conflict with their own practices. If you want to use an external HD, you pay a one time fee and your done. ( at least on that dvr )

Other than the "integration", which allows the HDMI communication, what else do I get that justifies the monthly fee?

I'm not trying to argue with you specifically, but more that I am opposed to Dish's model.

Probably to activate the a dlna server in the dish receiver so you can stream content from anything conected to the network to the TV and its sounds like you have full dvr functions. pretty cool, rip a bluray on your computer and store it on your DISH DVR. My Sony TV has a dnla server and kind of similar with access to BraviaTv, facebook, Youtube and others online video content.

dlsnyder said:
The pricing on the Google TV box is $179.99 for a box through DISH Network and the MSRP is $299.99. If you buy through DISH it will cost another $4 a month for the integration services.

This makes it sound like we will have the option of paying full MSRP or buying it from Dish and paying a reduced cost up front but with a monthly fee. If that is the case, people will have the option of choosing what works best for them and all the complaints about the new monthly fee are uncalled for.

Anyone knows if the reduced price is for purchase or leasing? I think the price is a lease price and the $4.00. Fee will apply to any google tv box. so pay $299.00 or $170.00 for google tv you will still have to pay the $4.00 monthly fees.

Just so everyone know, the Android Market won't be available for Google TV until the beginning of next year. So you can't download additional apps until then.

while this looks really good, i don't know about the additional fee. hopefully it can be purchased out right with no recurring fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts