Got a call from DISH Network today. They said they my receivers weren't updating or something?

ah580

Original poster
May 23, 2012
OK
--Hi, all. DISH called today (not sure if it was really them) and the man on the phone said my receivers weren't updating, or something like that. I have two receivers, and neither of them have a phone line connected to them. Are calls like this "legit"? They gave a number to call back so they could get some numbers from my receivers. I am guessing they are the numbers under "Installation" and "System Info.", which are the R00 xxxx xxxx-xx and the S19 xxxx xxxx-xx (not sure what those are, though). One of the receivers, a DVR one, I have had for three years (I lease both of them), and the other one I have had for two years. I'm not sure what needs to really be "updated" in the receivers, as they work like they did when they were new. So, has anyone had a telephone call from DISH Network similar to this? What kind of info. are they looking for in my two home receivers? I've never had a call like this in three plus years of having DISH. I've always been told not to give out personal info., and I'm not sure what "info." is so important in my receivers.

--Oh, not sure if it makes any difference or not, but I just signed up for HBO....could it be a problem with that? I don't see how that would make a difference, but you never know. Years go by with no calls from DISH, then two days after I sub. to a premium channel, I get some guy asking for numbers associated with my receivers. Thanks for any help.

What are the specific model numbers?

Don't give out any info to such callers. If they're Dish, they have the info already on your receivers.

Updates are via satellite.

Something smells, but might be legit. Google the phone numbers.

DIRT is who you should talk to, to ensure legitimacy.

Yes contact DIRT. Generally, when it comes to suspicious calls though. I tell them (regardless of what company they claim to represent) that I will hang up and call them back using a phone number that I know is legit to make sure it's legit. If they're legit, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Thanks for the replies. The main receiver is a 522, and the secondary for the bedroom is a 322.

Dish does call when they see a problem. But as mentioned they would have your receiver information. DIRT member is the way to go.

They must see a problem with somebody else' receiver, as there is no way, short of coming into my house, that they can see what is going on with my receivers. That is why I was concerned...with no telephone line hookup, there's no way they can see if there is a problem with my receivers or whatever. Not really trying to sound paranoid, but it's a fact there are tons of schemers over the telephone.

How can they know they're not updating if the receivers are not connected to a phone line?

However, my sister got the exact same call last week saying her 722 wasn't updating. She went ahead and scheduled the Dish guys to come out and then called me and I met them out there. The Dish tech had no clue why they sent him out as the 722 was fine, but I did get him to change the crappy 612 in the bedroom out for a 722. It was probably the 612 that had stopped updating because they had unplugged the ethernet cable in the bedroom and connected it to the new tv instead of running a second ethernet from one of the other jacks I put in.

The suspicious part of me thinks this might be a new version of auditing accounts.

Internet connection? With no phone connection. Might be how they knew. But I'm a suspicious sort. CONTACT DIRT.

What I will probably do is to contact them via their webpage while I am logged into my account. I will tell them I will send them info. THAT way.

You could also just call Dish Network at their 800 number, they will have notes on your account regarding any contacts they may have made and either connect you with "Signal Integrity" or give you the phone number to call. This may be a case of misunderstood terms or 2nd degree of information. My bet is that it was "Signal Integrity" and they want to confirm that you are not account stacking (have the boxes on your account at 2 different addresses/residential units) and require that you read to them the R and S #'s and the Location ID #.

--Thanks, OSU. I just PM'ed him. After I did, I said to myself "why did I give out that info. to some stranger." Then I figured it was legit after looking it over, lol.

Sounds like the Audit Nazis to me. They told me the same thing when they audited my account. They said that they needed to check some information and asked me the same information and said something about the receivers updating or something. They did not want to tell me that they were auditing me though. From information I found out on here I knew it was an audit. They are horrible to deal with. If you deactivated a receiver a while back but cannot give them the numbers off of it then they will lock your account. If you activate a receiver shortly after an audit then they will deactivate it making it a paper weight, not reimburse you for it and lock your account. I am not allowed to have more than two receivers on my account now unless I pay full price for them and have one of their installers come out and install it. If you do not give them the info to their 100% full satisfaction then you get penalized even if you did nothing wrong. You cannot talk to anybody while going through that and they can't hear doors open or shut or anything suspicious.

--Thanks, OSU. I just PM'ed him. After I did, I said to myself "why did I give out that info. to some stranger." Then I figured it was legit after looking it over, lol.
"Paranoia Strikes Deep"...For What It's Worth! ;)

Last edited:
I support Dish on most all fronts, except this. The Audit Nazis are HORRIBLE and should rot it &*^^. You are guilty till proven innocent. Better hope you don't have a receiver in a detached garage or something. They hear you open the door or take too long to get to the other receiver and they will shut you down. We have customers with large properties and garages/shops that you have to drive to. They will be screwed if they ever get audited. I almost wanted to get a call from them just once, just so I could tell them where to go. I don't think they will call on a Hopper systems, joeys won't work w/o hopper. Anyway, if that is it, good luck.

When setting up a new account, we are susposed to tell all new customers...

For your protection, DISH Network will never call you, email you and ask for your account information such as account number, receiver number, social security number, credit card, debit card or pin. Please do not give out this information.

Last time the audit department called me, I repeated that line to them.

So they shut down all my receivers except for 1 and made me call in to get them turned back on. So, so much for expecting them to honor their own policy in telling customers not to give out their personal account info.

I wish they would call and harrass me again, I'll tell them to shut down my entire account :)

on the agreements that all customers have to sign when starting a new account or upgrading. the last part of the contract says that they can call u if your late on a payment. so yes they can call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts