Got a pole delivered for the BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Steel pipe is normally sold by inside diameter. What matters to you is the true Outside diameter.
In Schedule 40 thickness (about 1/4 inch wall), a 3-inch Inside Diameter schedule 40 would approximate 3.5 inches outside diameter. Most professional steel suppliers have books that specify down to a hundredth of an inch what the exact thickness is for each schedule rating.

Steel TUBING on the other hand is sold by OUTSIDE diameter.

When in doubt, bring a tape measure and/or a caliper to confirm before cutting a piece of pipe from a typical 20 or 21 foot length (that also varies, depending upon the type of material you are getting).

So, you have a smaller diameter pipe piece pushed inside a bit and, and have a muffler shop weld it all around for you. Now you have a much stronger main pipe, with a correct size top to fit your polar mount.

Steel pipe is normally sold by inside diameter. What matters to you is the true Outside diameter.
In Schedule 40 thickness (about 1/4 inch wall), a 3-inch Inside Diameter schedule 40 would approximate 3.5 inches outside diameter. Most professional steel suppliers have books that specify down to a hundredth of an inch what the exact thickness is for each schedule rating.

Steel TUBING on the other hand is sold by OUTSIDE diameter.

When in doubt, bring a tape measure and/or a caliper to confirm before cutting a piece of pipe from a typical 20 or 21 foot length (that also varies, depending upon the type of material you are getting).

Are you sure about that Mike? I have never had a steel supplier refer to inside diameter on any of the pipe that I have ever purchased. Maybe specs are different here in Canada.

And its too wide. F***!
Sorry to hear that. :(
I try to mention the: {3", schedule 40, 3.5" OD}, occasionally.
Especially if a newbie is involved, a bare dish is obtained without pole, or the decision is made to leave the pole behind.
Pretty sure I've brought it up in two threads in the last 6-8 weeks.
Figured you'd been around long enough to be aware.

Mostly, I harp on reusing the old pole.
It's free, and always the right size. :)
Yea, sometimes harvesting it is a royal pain.

When I first joined the forum, some dishes had 4" poles!
(4", Schedule 40, 4.5" OD!)
Havent heard of one of those in years. ;)

Last edited:
The pole that I am getting has a 4.5 inch outside diameter. The guy that I am buying it from is going to weld a smaller diameter piece 8 inches long on. I'm taking the flange with me when I go to pick it up. :)

And its too wide. F***!

What size did you order and what did you end up getting?

Could it be that it was initially the correct size but the amount of hot air blowing around at your place actually ended up expanding the pipe? :D

At this point, your options are either to get some sort of smaller diameter adapter somehow attached to your pipe so that your polar mount can fit as other members already suggested, sell/exchange the pipe you got to try to cut your losses or use this as leverage to convince your wife to get a bigger dish that would fit natively on the pipe you have. ;)

Personally, I would take the latter option. :)

When I first joined the forum, some dishes had 4" poles!
(4", Schedule 40, 4.5" OD!)
Havent heard of one of those in years. ;)
My oddball "half-horizon" mount used a 4.5" OD pipe. When that unit went bad and I replaced it with a 3.5"-OD mount and dish, I bought two smaller sections of pipe and telescoped them together, with a couple of big Grade-8 nuts and bolts. It has worked fine for several years. Kraven, you could probably do the same thing.
IMG_1601small.jpg

Could it be that it was initially the correct size but the amount of hot air blowing around at your place actually ended up expanding the pipe? :D
HA HA HA ! I'll give you credit for your sense of humor.

Anywho, he pipe came from a relative....she didn’t fit the WSI polar mount. Looks like I'll pick up a 2.5" pipe from Lowes or somewhere else. The irony is the pipe will cost more than what the dish is worth.

Besides that its hard to find a 6, 7.5 or 8ft BUD in these parts. WSI's dish was inexpensive that I didn’t mind swallowing the UPS costs. Then i found out what a marvelous piece of engineering it was.

Cheers, K

Last edited:
Wait!
Is this another case of too little info, and too many assumptions?
What size IS your pipe?
And if you're complaining it didn't fit a 6' WSI dish, that's a whole 'bother matter.
The WSI uses a non-standard post size.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)