Got my JVC 42x788.. SD sucks now.. :)

Zombie069

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Montrose, CO 81401
Just unpacked an setup my very first HDTV.. Actually my first new TV in 15 years, how sad is that. I actually feel guilty about tossing my old jvc 27" because it's served me so well for so long.

Anyway... Now I have my 625 hooked into it via S-video, and no HD programing.. Questions are;

Will the standard picture quality get any better if I have an HDMI feed?
Looking into a 942 for the OTA HD, but will this make the rest look better...?
And can I get the DVI-HDMI cable to hook my PC up? BF2142 would be sweet on a 42" monitor.. :eureka

Finally, OT but I'm looking for a JVC RX1028VBK, I blew mine up. Any good sources to fix mine would also be appreciated.. It's older but I love it..

Brad

Stretchin/upconverting an SD image to HD resolutions will display all the artifacts normally concealed on small SD CRT displays. Especially Dish SD programming that isn't even full SD (544x480 non-square pixel vs. 720x480 on DVD).

If you can, try component instead of S-video. It'll improve colors a bit. Do some basic contrast/brightness calibration.

Don't expect miracles from switching to other connections between the player and TV.

And can I get the DVI-HDMI cable to hook my PC up? BF2142 would be sweet on a 42" monitor..
If you PC has such a connection - of course. And I'd strongly recommend doing that. You can't (legally) have your PC act as a Dish receiver, but the computer is the most capable upconverter of SD material - short of getting $5000+ equipment.

Diogen.

SD channels will almost always look better on an SD TV. Some HDTV's can show the SD ok, and other maybe worse. What will look much better is DVD and HD channels.

BTW: DVD 720x480 are also non-square pixels.

If you PC has such a connection - of course. And I'd strongly recommend doing that. You can't (legally) have your PC act as a Dish receiver, but the computer is the most capable upconverter of SD material - short of getting $5000+ equipment.

Diogen.

I'm not looking for miracles, I expected some grainy SD pictures.. Just thought it may help a little. No big worry there..

I'm not looking to use my PC as a receiver, I do alot of gaming and my vid card has twin DVI out that's why I was wondering. It just didn't talk about hooking up a PC anywhere in the manual.
I'll be getting a 942 in a couple weeks, then the HD adventures can really begin.. :eureka

Thanks
Brad

I'm not a gamer, but from what I've seen/heard, attaching a gamer's rig to a modern hidef big screen TV is easy and takes the whole gaming experience on completely different level...
The only thing you should be concerned about is having to go back to your regular PC monitor when the TV is needed for other purposes...:)

A computer with the horsepower of a gaming machine can also be a very good DVD player matching Denon 3910 or better.

Diogen.

Not sure about that TV, but most have some sort of VirtualHD or some programming to upconvert a 480P signal making it look a little better than a standard SD signal. But you will need to use the component or hdmi/dvi connection to use that feature probably.

The 625 receiver doesn't have component output. So the S-video connection you are already using is the best you can do right now. HDMI doesn't give you anything addition in picture quality if you are thinking of connecting your s-video feed to a home theatre amplifier then cnnect the amplifier to your HDTV.

Try adjust the video setting of your HDTV. I suggest you spend some money to get an calibration DVD such as Avion's DVD. It can make a big difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts