Got my LNB replaced today, was running fine, now it wont work...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, there is, but the installer didn't get time to install the second line because it took forever to do the first. It took like 3 (!) freaking hours to change the LNB between the old clamp having a corroded screw, the height being so tall, running the new line, and a bolt messing up on the adjusting arm. There's a little pull down thing that goes over the connection at the LNB and he taped up the other end of coax line that wasn't installed so it wouldn't get wet. So I don't think so, but I don't know.

I tried removing and attaching the coax at the box and nothing.

Did he loosened some bolts to reaim the dish? If not, my best guess is that because the signal quality just went away while viewing during the first few hours of operation, the LNBF has failed.

Before scheduling the tech to return, order a spare LNBF.

He did loosen a bolt to reposition the satellite, then tried tightening it back up when he got a strong lock on the signal, but he said the bolt wouldnt stop spinning. So he found another bolt he had in his vehicle and said that while its not a perfect match he was able to tighten it up to where the satellite wont move.

Still 45% today. I'm totally bummed. I really hope the LNB isnt messed up. Its brand new! :( I don't have anymore money to spend on this damn satellite!

He did loosen a bolt to reposition the satellite, then tried tightening it back up when he got a strong lock on the signal, but he said the bolt wouldnt stop spinning. So he found another bolt he had in his vehicle and said that while its not a perfect match he was able to tighten it up to where the satellite wont move.

Still 45% today. I'm totally bummed. I really hope the LNB isnt messed up. Its brand new! :( I don't have anymore money to spend on this damn satellite!
Hopefully it's just an alignment issue because of that bolt and not a bad lnb or problem with the coax. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! :)

If there's any chance of getting LOS to 97W somewhere down lower than on the roof, I'd ask the installer when he comes back to mount it lower down somewhere that you can stand on the ground and work on the dish, so if you have problems again you can get to the dish and fix it easier. I have five Ku dishes mounted low right on the side of my back porch so they can be reached from the ground like that, makes life much easier fixing them, for snow removal, etc.

Keep in mind if you look for a place lower down for it, that on a offset Ku dish the signal doesn't come straight into the dish like on a prime focus dish, it comes in down at an angle from above so it can look like the dish is pointed straight into obstructions such as trees or whatever and still work.

Just try and calm down until the installer returns, if he is a competent installer he will not charge to come right back out.
I am sure you enjoy the programming you watch or you would not have paid for him to come out in the first place.
Too many variables going on for us to help over the internet, especially since you do not feel safe going up to the dish.
If it is going to be a few days until the installer returns, it would be a good idea to have a spare LNBF on hand just in case.
Do you think it is possible that the dish moved in wind?

So, after not working today or last night, i switched the receiver and it worked fine. Then I switched back to the old receiver and its giving me 90/67-70 (slightly less SQ) signal. What in the world is going on? For what it's worth its a nice sunny day out today. I'm so confused. The installer said he'd come take a look this week too. Guess i'll monitor the situation. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Last edited:
Could be a cold solder or trace in the LNBF or a coax / connector defect.

The heating and cooling may be expanding and contracting the metal, making or breaking a connection. The moisture or drying may block signal or reduce voltage below operation levels.

If the problem repeats as the temperature drops or when rain returns, this could help narrow down the cause.

So, after not working today or last night, i switched the receiver and it worked fine. Then I switched back to the old receiver and its giving me 90/67-70 (slightly less SQ) signal. What in the world is going on? For what it's worth its a nice sunny day out today. I'm so confused. The installer said he'd come take a look this week too. Guess i'll monitor the situation. Thanks for all the help everyone.

How are these two receivers connected to your lnb? Are they both connected at the same time? Are you just using a two-way splitter or something? If so, that could be a problem and cause them to fight each other.

I also hope you have Rg-6 coax, and NOT Rg-59...

Definitely have rg6. The LNB is dual output. Both receivers are not connected yet because the other length of wire has not been fully run.

Signal back to 45% and neither receiver works. Was working fine earlier today. Argh...

Rain or heat?

It was 75 today so not hot or cold. Cloudy, not rainy at all. It started working again probably 30 minutes after i posted this...

What in the world could be going on? I guess it could be the LNB but that would really suck if it was. I got a good brand (geosatpro) and a good model (SL2PLL). I got it a while ago and just installed it so it wont be warrantied either I dont think. Wonder if it could be the skew? He said he thought thats why the original one was working intermittently. The skew for here for 97W is 12.7. I think he said it was 6.something though.

Just for kicks, while you wait for the installer to come back, why not try this (maybe you have already). Have someone watch the TV while you wiggle the coax at all the places you can get to it. Maybe something will show up. Do you have a pass-through grounding block? If so, check the connections. Check the insides of all the accessible coax fittings with a flashlight looking for a stray strand of shield wire.

I'll try it out. For now it works but when it stops again i'll wiggle the wire around. He used his own rg6 and put on the connectors.

Maybe this is your problem?

cat.jpg

Figured I give you a good laugh maybe, I know problems like this can be real frustrating. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts