Got New 5 LNB Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I finally got my 5LNB too. I dont know if anyone read my story in the "Horror Story with Local Installer" thread, but to make a long complicated story short my original installer lied to me so he could put up a 3LNB instead of the 5LNB I was supposed to get. The new installer who came out got the 5LNB up but he didnt clean up after himself. Note the extra mount from my old dish that D* is going to have to pay to have my roof repaired. Does any of the D* techs see anything wrong with my installation besides the obvious mess and untrimmed zip-ties?

Attachments

• DSC02479.JPG
    DSC02479.JPG
    645.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC02480.JPG
    DSC02480.JPG
    506.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC02481.JPG
    DSC02481.JPG
    730.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC02482.JPG
    DSC02482.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC02483.JPG
    DSC02483.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 196
The damage to the roof could have easily been fixed if the 2nd dish had not been mounted so close to the 1st base.

Where is the 72.5 dish at?

I would losen the screws on the grounds and push the wires through further then bend them back over and retighten the screws much less chance of them coming lose.

I cant see that meter clamp on a A/C box (thats what it looks like) passing code. Could be wrong on this. not seeing what is on the grond below the switch its hard to pick a place to ground. Maybe the gas line. If you have the screw band ground straps.

72.5 dish?? Sorry, I have no idea what that is. If you meant my old 3LNB, the new tech took it with him. And yes, it is grounded to my A/C box. Thats one of the things the QC guy mentioned, but the new tech didnt even bother fixing that like D* said he would. He could have easily ran the ground wire through my gutter to my central building ground under my power meter on the other side (about 20 feet away). Thanks for the tip on the ground wires, I was planning on doing that eventually.

Why do you gave 6 lines running into the switch if you only have the new 5 LNB dish? If you don't have another dish, why do you have the mult-switch period because it appers you only have two lines comming out of the multi-switch?

My mistake, if you look at the second picture, behind the new dish, you will se part of another dish, probably why he has 2 other lines running into the switch.

direct freak, i was wondering that myself.

and chaotic, directv is not going to pay to have your roof repaired. IMHO

dragon002 said:
direct freak, i was wondering that myself.

and chaotic, directv is not going to pay to have your roof repaired. IMHO

If they dont want a lawsuit on their hands they will. I have a copy of the original sales order that shows my original tech was supposed to put up a 5LNB dish. He put up the 3LNB then they had to send a second tech out to take it down and put up the 5LNB I was supposed to get. That = 5 unneeded holes in my roof. Directv may not personally pay for it, but either they will or the company they contract to will.

And that second dish is for my locals. My HD locals havent been turned on yet where I live so I guess I needed that other dish to pick them up in SD until they do. When I had dish network, one dish did it all.

Last edited:
I think what he MIGHT mean is that your best bet is sueing the contractor and his company, as it was THEIR fault.

chaotic646 said:
If they dont want a lawsuit on their hands they will. I have a copy of the original sales order that shows my original tech was supposed to put up a 5LNB dish. He put up the 3LNB then they had to send a second tech out to take it down and put up the 5LNB I was supposed to get. That = 5 unneeded holes in my roof. Directv may not personally pay for it, but either they will or the company they contract to will.

And that second dish is for my locals. My HD locals havent been turned on yet where I live so I guess I needed that other dish to pick them up in SD until they do. When I had dish network, one dish did it all.

just curious, did you sign any papers for the first tech??

I dont care who pays for it as long as it gets done. I guess it probably would be more the contractor's responsibility but D* decides who they contract to so either way somebody's going to fix it.

dragon002 said:
just curious, did you sign any papers for the first tech??

Yes but on the paper he clearly crossed out the 5lnb and wrote in the 3lnb and left a note that says the "5lnb can not be roof-mounted and there is no line of site for a pole-mount." I also have a written statement from the QC guy that the 5lnb CAN be roof-mounted, and there is a PERFECT line of site for a pole-mount.

chaotic646 said:
I dont care who pays for it as long as it gets done. I guess it probably would be more the contractor's responsibility but D* decides who they contract to so either way somebody's going to fix it.

did you sign the origional techs workorder???

Yes but I have written proof the original tech lied. The new tech that came out said he got wrote up for it as well.

chaotic646 said:

That is why I asked where the 2nd dish was.

The roof fix would have been as simple as pulling up 3 shingles and replacing them but the new dish is to close for that to work. Either way they will both leak probably.

Eric Goempel said:
Either way they will both leak probably.

The way they are now? Why do you say that?

Anyway, I just spoke to a lady at D* and explained what happened, and she said she would mail me out a claim form today. She said I had to get a written estimate, take pictures, and explain in writing what happened. I have 90 days to do all of this or the claim will be closed. She said they would send it to my local contractor and they will pay for it. I asked her what if they dont, and she said "They will." So we'll see what happens.

Lesson here people: DO NOT ALLOW ANY contractors to go "willy-nilly" and start jobs on YOUR home without you inspecting the tools/materials needed/promised up front and keeping up with it it during the install.

AND AT THE END, inspect the job and job site again BEFORE you sign ANYTHING! Take pictures during the process; if the contractor is upset, send him on his way, at least your home is still safe.

I mean crap, this in YOUR HOME and a major investment; treat it as such!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts