Got New 5 LNB Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice install ...Is that 5lnb dish the "new slim" dish? Does anyone know if they are in the Mass. area yet? I'm kinda holding out for that one before I call D*for them to change my 18" for HDTV...(then I only want the mpeg4 DVR).

I feel my installer alighned my dish wrong. The 103 bird has only signal on 4 transponders and they are about 50. Is this right? The other KU sats are about 75 on an H20 which is usual.

johnfl said:
Nice install ...Is that 5lnb dish the "new slim" dish?

If you are talking about the pics in post #24 of this thread, NO, that is the current AT9 dish.

Does anyone know if they are in the Mass. area yet? I'm kinda holding out for that one before I call D*for them to change my 18" for HDTV

"when THEY are in the Mass area" do you mean the slim-line dish? I have read numerous rumors, so expect around summer, along the time of the MPEG4 DVR release.

No, not the pic on post 24, the pic in post #1, it has a hooded LNB. That's why I thought it was the new one.

And yes. my question was about the slim line dish being available in the Northeast.

Thanks
JohnL

Got an email from D* today and thought some of you people doubting that I would get reimbursed should read it.

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry to hear that you had such an unfortunate experience with the installation of your new DIRECTV services. I want to assure you that we value your business, and we want to make things right.

We opened a damage claim to help compensate you for the damage to your home and roof that was caused due to an incorrect installation. This is done any time a customer comes to us with concerns over damage to their home. Another Quality Control service agent will inspect the installation to assure the job is complete. The estimate you submitted will be paid by your local contractor Premier Communications. If for any reason they refuse payment contact us and we will make sure you are reimbursed.

We understand that you purchased the off-air equipment based on the information given to you by a DIRECTV representative. We are willing to credit the amount of the purchases made to your DIRECTV bill. To do this, please fax in a copy of the receipt for the equipment purchased to (801) 579-5703 to Attn: Cassandra in the email team. Please make sure you include your account number (*********) and this reference number *******-*******.

Difficult service experiences like the one you had are rare and we certainly do not take them lightly. Again, I apologize for the trouble you had and hope that I've been able to resolve your issue. However, if you still have any outstanding concerns, please let me know.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,

Melissa D
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name: ******
[Account Number: ********]
Email Address: *******
[Topic Selected: Other]
Subject: A New Customer's Experience with DIRECTV

Details: To Whom It May Concern:

I have been a customer for a little less than a month now and so far its been the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a company in my life. When I first ordered my directv, the lady I spoke to was very courteous and helpful. The horrible service started when the tech came to install. He told me right off the bat that I needed to call directv and tell them to change his order from a KA KU 5LNB to the older 3LNB. When I asked why, he said because he wasn't allowed to mount it on my roof because of the size and weight. I asked him how he was supposed to install it, and he said the only way was to pole-mount it. I didn't like that idea, but I had the H20 receiver so I told him to go ahead and pole-mount it. He then started complaining that he would have to concrete the pole, and trench the wire back to my house and then said it would cost me $75. I was told when I ordered that installation was free so I called directv. The lady told me that he could roof mount it, so I
let him
and her argue about it. Finally, he handed the phone back to me and the lady told me to pay him the $75 and she would credit it to my 1st bill. I wasn't happy, but I said fine and offered to pay him the $75. He then told me to hold on a minute as he went out to his truck. He came back in about 20 minutes later and told me he couldn't get a line of site anywhere in my yard for a pole-mount because of 2 power lines. He told me my only option was to let him put up the 3LNB then when all of our locals upgraded to HD I would have to put up an OTA antenna to receive them. Normally, I would have just cancelled on the spot but I switched to you guys from Dish Network because of your NFL Sunday Ticket package. I said fine put up the 3LNB and he did. A couple days later I went to Radio Shack, and spent over $200 on an OTA antenna, tripod, mast, cable, ground wire, and a few other things needed to install it properly and put it up myself. Everything was working fine and about two weeks
later
one of the quality control guys showed up unexpected. He said he needed to check the installer's work. The QC guy said that my switcher wasn't weather-proofed and it wasn't grounded properly. He tells me this after we just had three days straight of bad lightning storms and tornadoes. He also told me the installer lied to me, and that the KA KU can be installed on the roof as long as he used braces for it. He also said that even if the installer would have pole-mounted it, there was a perfect line of sight. He told me the installer gets paid by the job, no matter how long it takes and the KA KU is much more time-consuming than the 3LNB. After learning this I was outraged. Now I'm stuck with 5 holes in my roof for an old dish that I wasn't supposed to have in the first place, and out over $200 for an OTA antenna I didn't even need. I called directv again and told them what happened. They apologised and said they would send out a tech last Wednesday between 1-5PM. So I told my
supervisor I had to take off early again and made sure I was home by 1PM. The tech calls me right at 5PM and says he wont be able to make until 6-6:30 PM. So I had to cancel my daughter's gymnastic appointment for the night (that I have to pay $12 per lesson whether she makes it or not)and he still didn't show up until after 7PM. The new tech kept complaining about it being dark and let me know how hard it was going to be to install it in the dark. He then felt the need to tell me that he was worried about his son because his brother was watching him. I told him just to leave and that I would re-schedule. In the meantime, I call directv back and explain what all has happened and asked for some compensation for my troubles/wasted antenna/holes in my roof. The lady said she couldn't do anything about it except give me the number to file a claim so I did. My claim # is *******. How this whole thing plays out will determine if I remain a customer after my contract is up or not.

Sincerely,

So not only am I going to get my roof fixed, Im going to get back the money I paid for my OTA antenna. I wasnt even expecting that. :up

Please you guys, don't keep this topic going based on semantics; DirecTV is acting as the agent/intermediary to facilitate the repairs and/or repayment by the CONTRACTOR; done is done; congrats.

dragon002 said:
congrats, but as i said, DIRECTV is not paying for it, correct?!

Directv is crediting my bill for the amount I paid for my OTA antenna, so they arent exactly "paying me" anything but its good enough for me. As far as the roof goes, I dont know yet if the contractor will pay or not but D* will if they dont. Even if Directv doesnt send me a check and credits my bill for the amount to fix my roof I'll still be fine with it. I would be spending that money paying for my bill anyways in the future so 6 months of free service will still save me the money I'll be paying to fix my roof. Like I said before, I dont care who pays or how as long as it gets done.

your roof does not need fixed.

there is a mast foot up there that is eating at you.

leave it alone it will be fine.

go watch tv.

directvfreak said:
Did anyone look at my earlier post about low KA signal strength?

yeah it's low for 103, I thought you said the guy was comming back to re-align your dish.
FYI don't expect to see H20 with signals strengths in the high 80's or 90's.

dragon002 said:
your roof does not need fixed.

there is a mast foot up there that is eating at you.

leave it alone it will be fine.

go watch tv.

But I thought that it would eventually leak? :rolleyes: The point is, when I decide to sell my home and the potential buyer has it inspected the more holes in my roof = the more chances of leaks and the buyer will more than likely want it fixed before he buys. Im not going to just say "Thats okay, I'll just live with holes in my roof because some moron was lazy and didnt want to do his job." Maybe you're used to customers bending over for you but Im not bending over for an incompetent technician. Try looking at my situation through the eyes of a customer for once.

chaotic646 said:
But I thought that it would eventually leak? :rolleyes: The point is, when I decide to sell my home and the potential buyer has it inspected the more holes in my roof = the more chances of leaks and the buyer will more than likely want it fixed before he buys. Im not going to just say "Thats okay, I'll just live with holes in my roof because some moron was lazy and didnt want to do his job." Maybe you're used to customers bending over for you but Im not bending over for an incompetent technician. Try looking at my situation through the eyes of a customer for once.

I've got three foot plates up on my roof from back in the single LNB dish days. They all have the black silicone under them and at and around the bolts. While they don't look particularly attractive, they haven't leaked yet.

I am finishing my basement (yes, I have one - most people in Chicago burbs have them)....and am wondering how many coax wires come in from the dish on the new AT9 (or the upcoming slim one) I am assuming 5??....Am nearing the drywall phase and what to make sure I have it "prewired properly". Currently have an older dish with two coaxes coming in.

Anyword on the availability of that damn slimline one :) Really prefer that one, given my homeowners association is pretty tight assed about eye sores....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)