Got New 5 LNB Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I got my new dish on Saturday! The installers BIRDOG signal meter stopped functioning so he used a crappy channel master thing powered by a receiver. He says he will come back this week once his BIRDOG is fixed and fine tune the dish once more.

Attachments

• PICT0124.JPG
    PICT0124.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 612
  • PICT0126.JPG
    PICT0126.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 560
  • PICT0127.JPG
    PICT0127.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 561
  • PICT0129.JPG
    PICT0129.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 552
  • PICT0130.JPG
    PICT0130.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
great install. im not being picky, the only thing i do different, the multiswitch. i mount all mine vertical, not horizontal. other than that, again, great install. congrats.

Thanks! The multiswitch is actually mounted vertically, i held my camera sideways so you could read the sticker on the switch. Thanks for noticing and for the tip!

Last edited:
dragon...
I was looking at his pictures and I noticed that the grounding blocks were attached to the mast. I hadn't considered that and I think it's a good idea and will do that when I upgrade. But I have one question. I see that the ground wire is still run, I assume to a pipe or a ground rod. Wouldn't the mast itself serve as a grounding point since it is in the ground? Does putting it in concrete make a difference on that?

ground rods per the national electrical code go down 8 feet and are copper. my own thoughts , i agree with you.

directvfreak said:
I got my new dish on saturday! The istallers BIRDOG signal meter stopped functioning so he used a crappy channel master thing powered by a receiver. He says he will come back this week once his BIRDOG is fixed and fine tune the dish once more.

Hey do you live in the Richmond area?

I had my installer ground to my mast as well since it is 8+ feet in the ground. But he also ran to the main ground. I wish D* would have a house box like the cable companies do to put the multi switch in so it is out of the weather. Think i am going to go find one myself, unless I can bribe dragon to come over and help me move it inside this spring!!! I already know he like I.C.Light!!!

Eric Goempel said:
I had my installer ground to my mast as well since it is 8+ feet in the ground. But he also ran to the main ground. I wish D* would have a house box like the cable companies do to put the multi switch in so it is out of the weather. Think i am going to go find one myself, unless I can bribe dragon to come over and help me move it inside this spring!!! I already know he like I.C.Light!!!

eric,

bud light 16s, if you want an OP box, pm me your address in salem, ill ship you one, no problem.

dragon002 said:
eric,

bud light 16s, if you want an OP box, pm me your address in salem, ill ship you one, no problem.

Dragon, my father will be so upset that a Pittsburgh man is not drinking IC Light!!!!!

I will pm you my address. Will it be big enough to hold that massive multiswitch?

directvfreak said:
I agree! I think D* should have a larger box than cable does to hide all the ugly coax cables. I doan't have a basement so outside is the only place for me.I think I'm going to get an outdoor telco. box to hold all om my sat stuff too. I had a thread a while ago, but it didn't workout! Someone said to go to a hardware store and they would have stuff like that. I have one of those plastic cable boxes but it doesn't have enough room for the new multi-switch.

im in a real bad mood, so toss the ground block and the multiswitch into the crawl space. why any one would not have a basement is beyond me!

dragon002 said:
im in a real bad mood, so toss the ground block and the multiswitch into the crawl space. why any one would not have a basement is beyond me!

Basements vary from state to state and code to code.

No basements here in Houston. Not residential, anyway. Office buildings and underground parking don't count.

dragon- there are parts of the country were basements are just not a reality. In central Indiana the water table is to high for basements. in Tennessee it seams no one has a basement. or in Wyoming.

Eric Goempel said:
dragon- there are parts of the country were basements are just not a reality. In central Indiana the water table is to high for basements. in Tennessee it seams no one has a basement. or in Wyoming.
Pretty much the same issue here in regards to water.Alot of flash flood areas in TN.

To make my multiswitch waterproof.....I installed it in a exterior lawn sprinkler box....Home Depot had them on sale a few months ago for about $10.00.....works great.

Bill

In the past 3 years I have been installing I have seen maybe 15 houses with basements here in Mississippi. When I installed Directv and Dish all the time about 70% of the houses had crawl space. Now that I do Hughes Net "Direcway" I run the cable in the attic in about 90% of my installes, and I always put a box on the outside if there is no way I can put the ground block indoors. On Enterprise jobs I have always put them indoors.

Last edited:
I think basements are fading away because of the extra costs of construction, BUT ALSO because of the rising maintenance costs due to mold, moisture, flooding/insurance, etc. Now if only cheap conventional foundations would do the same; great for lowering the construction costs and running cables/wires, but worse on the insect/pests, home maintenance, moisture level.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)