Got problem isolated, please help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
Finally after a week or so of running temp. cables and changing LNBF's I got my KU problem isolated to my DMS SG-2100 motor not passing power on (all the time) to the LNBF after moving the motor to any satellite. Here's what happens. I choose satellite Galaxy 7 from SES-2 and the dish moves to the correct location but when the dish stops the screen is black channel up or down still black. Power off the receiver and power it back on and the picture comes on like it should. Move to another satellite and black screen on landing, power cycle the receiver and channels come up. I parked the dish on AMC-16 and removed the (2) cables from the motor and hooked them together and I have signal every time. I checked the connections at the motor(they are good) and replaced all the cables with no luck. I can't replace the motor right now, so my question is could I hook a 2-way splitter at the motor with both ports power passing and hook (1) side to the LNBF from the receiver and the other to the motor to move the dish on USUALS command? I plan on changing the motor down the road before fall, but can't right now. Motor lands correctly every time. Motor passing signal 1 out of 10 times to LNBF. What do you think? Thanks.

A 2 port power passing with one leg to the motor and other to the LNBF will work. It is possible that the LNBF requires more voltage or current than the STB is providing while looping through the motor.

How does it work while going through the SG-2100 out to the LNBF? Are there draw shut off's in the SG after the motor moves and if that's the case, won't it still cut the draw after it moves and not require any more power? I'm using an Avenger PLL LNBF.

The SG2100 should pass-through with only insertion loss. There is no amplification. I don't recall ever having a HH motor not pass-through voltage or limit current.

Do channels on vertical transponders come in after a motor move? That model of PLL current draw is much higher than other PLL or DRO LNBFs.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I'm having problems with both vertical and horizontal. It was so darn cold here this winter, maybe it cracked the circuit board in the motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)