gps location

unemployed

Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Is there any way that dish can tell where a system is located if the phone line is not hooked up (gps, etc)? I cannot get locals but my parents live 20 miles away and they can. I'm sure the same satellites are broadcasting to the both of us. I thought about cancelling my dish and having it set up at one of my friends houses and then moving it here (I'm due for an HD upgrade anyway). I'm still gonna pay full price (just through their address), so don't hop on me about it being illegal .....be gentle, I'm new here

It's called "moving". You simply call Dish and tell them you need to change your service address, not your billing address. You can't use your parent's address, by the way.

next problem.... how do i upgrade to hd (have to have an installer come by)and then turn around and change my service address?

I've been to homes before where the actual service address was different from what it was on the workorder.... I was ticked but went to the house. I never said anything but that was me others may pucker up and do something else.

Do your upgrade first then change your service address..... or change your service address then switch back.

I have one receiver on the East coast of FL and another in my condo on the West coast. They are both activated to the East Coast address and both work fine. Only problem is I have to watch the East Coast locals on the West coast but who cares.

I would also like to know if Dish can determine where there is no phone line hook-up. GPS? This question has not been answered yet. Does anyone know?

I would also like to know if Dish can determine where there is no phone line hook-up. GPS? This question has not been answered yet. Does anyone know?
GPS units require line-of-sight to the satellites in the sky, do they not ? They can put the hardware in the receivers but it won't do a lot of good....

i am surprised dish doesn't have GPS in their receivers. seems like the easiest way to crack down on people "moving."

p.s. i am going to move soon to get my Houston Rockets games. I am in the Dallas market area.

i am surprised dish doesn't have GPS in their receivers. seems like the easiest way to crack down on people "moving."

p.s. i am going to move soon to get my Houston Rockets games. I am in the Dallas market area.
I'm surprised you didn't read hall's explanation before post your .

I'm surprised you didn't read hall's explanation before post your .

i am surprsied you actually took the time to make me feel stupid.

well if would look at the time there's only a 2 min difference. ya you know why? cause i was typing my response to the original poster during the time Hall posted. after i posted mine, i saw his. and i did think hey i should edit it to say "oh ok..now i know why"

i didnt think i would have to answer to the Post Police. sheesh.

there's a lot of very easily ticked off people on this forum. I am guessing it's because of the average age being kind of high.

GPS units require line-of-sight to the satellites in the sky, do they not ? They can put the hardware in the receivers but it won't do a lot of good....

True but it wouldn't be that hard to do. Just build the antenna part into the LNB.

NightRyder

i am surprsied you actually took the time to make me feel stupid.

well if would look at the time there's only a 2 min difference. ya you know why? cause i was typing my response to the original poster during the time Hall posted. after i posted mine, i saw his. and i did think hey i should edit it to say "oh ok..now i know why"

i didnt think i would have to answer to the Post Police. sheesh.

there's a lot of very easily ticked off people on this forum. I am guessing it's because of the average age being kind of high.

You don't work around technical professionals or engineers much do you?

NightRyder

I belive the east coast west coast refrence is in florida. Naples for example is on floridas west coast while palm beach is on floridas east coast. The spot would reach. Hell I am in jaxville and I pick up the spots for miami,wpb,naple/ftmyers,tampa,orlando,tallhasse, ect. Florida is a very narrow state.

You know, in such case I'm usually delete my post/question and don't call other by names.

so you want me to delete my post?

i don't see what the big deal is that i posted something a little late after someone "kinda" answered the question..

there was no reason for you to be a smart ass.

You don't work around technical professionals or engineers much do you?

NightRyder

haha nope. work at the hospital.