Grammys

Didn't really watch, but just happened to tune to it between DVR events to see the Beach Boys reunion (first time in 20 years), Glen Campbell, and Sir Paul. Nice that they did the BB and Glen tributes on the same night. Very fitting. BB still sound good for a bunch of old farts ;)

S~

I saw the Beach Boys in concert a few times...

The first time I saw them they SUCKED.

Then saw them a few years ago at a DISH Network event and they were GREAT!

I am actually thinking I might want to see them again as they are coming to town later this year as part of their 50th birthday celebration.

Never cared for the Grammy's. They tend to award people based on popularity and not talent. I never really liked 90% of those they show and/or award.

I do wonder why they tape delay it for the west coast? Not too many of us can stay up to 11:30 on a Sunday night. I would be willing to bet that they would get higher ratings here on the west coast if they showed it live. More people here tend to watch TV between 5 and 9 than 8 and 11.

I would have probably watch some of it if it started earlier because it would have been the only thing on at the time.
Same deal for the east coasters on time, I like watching the east feed here in the mountain zone as prime time starts at 6...

DodgerKing said:
Never cared for the Grammy's. They tend to award people based on popularity and not talent. I never really liked 90% of those they show and/or award.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they don't have talent. I really don't like the hip hop or R&B but that doesn't mean they are not talented in my eyes.

Caps... The Boss.JPGTaylor Swift.JPGGlen Campbell.JPGKaty.JPGKaty 1.JPGThe Beach Boys.JPGSir Paul.JPGSir Pauls.JPG

I am actually thinking I might want to see them again as they are coming to town later this year as part of their 50th birthday celebration.
Not me.

While I respect their ability to get on stage to perform at their age, I thought the BB performance was kinda sad. The music was clearly being performed by anonymous musicians in the background, and, unlike other performers who manage to withstand the test of time, they clearly appeared their age. For a one-song performance like last night it was OK, but I couldn't imagine a full concert unless the younger performers were highlighted more...

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they don't have talent. I really don't like the hip hop or R&B but that doesn't mean they are not talented in my eyes.
Agreed. Never stated otherwise. There are a lot of very talented artists that I cannot stand. Like the ones I do like, they tend to not win awards.

Just because something is popular does not mean it consists of talent.

ETA: I see where the confusion was. I wasn't very clear when I typed my statement. Those two sentences were supposed to be two different reasons why I do not like the Grammys.

1) They award people based on popularity instead of talent. Regardless if I like them or not. There are many talented artists in all forms of music that are not properly awarded for their talent, influence, impact, and innovation. They tend to focus mostly on album sales which has little to do with talent.

2) I don't care for most of those they award or show anyway. Regardless of the talent level of most of the artists they award, I do not really care of many of the styles of music, even if they are very talented. I simply do not have any desire to sit through 3 hours of programming to catch about 10% that may interest me.

Case and point. I like both Foo Fighters and Dream Theater. When it comes to talent the Foo Fighters cannot hold a candle to Dream Theater. The musical abilities of the band members, the complex arrangements, and the influence they have on other artists puts Dream Theater way above the Foo Fighters as far as recognition IMO. Plus they all have music degrees.

The Foo Fighters are a simple band, with simple arrangements, that appeals to a larger pop audience. Hence they are the ones that get awarded instead of the "Dream Theaters" of the world. It has nothing to do with what I like as I love both bands. It has to do with whom I believe is really deserving of awards. Those that appeal to a large pop audience usually are not.

Last edited:
Case and point. I like both Foo Fighters and Dream Theater. When it comes to talent the Foo Fighters cannot hold a candle to Dream Theater. The musical abilities of the band members, the complex arrangements, and the influence they have on other artists puts Dream Theater way above the Foo Fighters as far as recognition IMO. Plus they all have music degrees.

The Foo Fighters are a simple band, with simple arrangements, that appeals to a larger pop audience. Hence they are the ones that get awarded instead of the "Dream Theaters" of the world. It has nothing to do with what I like as I love both bands. It has to do with whom I believe is really deserving of awards. Those that appeal to a large pop audience usually are not.

So if this is the case why did Bon Iver win the award for Best New Artist over a couple of others that have a large following in pop, hip hop and country? It is not always the case that the popular groups or people win the awards. Does it happen, yes but that happens in any award show or even hall of fame.

Now I can understand you points on the show itself as they are going to put on performances and show the awards that are the most appealing to the people. There is no reason to show the awards that 99% of the people watching care nothing about.

Too bad. I've seen them at least 30 times and never saw a bad BB concert. Of course, I haven't seen them since the big breakup and feud that left Mike pretty much the sole member.

S~

On The Tonight Show last night during the monolog Jay said Greenpeace had rescued Lady Gaga from the fishnet that was on her head... :D

That's the kind of humor NBC's getting from Leno now?? My 10 year old nephew said the other day that Gaga was wearing a fishing net on her head...We laughed, but then again, he's 10... :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)