Gran Turismo HD Canceled - PS3

isn't this a major blow for the ps3/sony. if i remember, this would have been one of their must have titles and a reason to buy the system.

That is the way Sony was pushing it at E3. They are saying that Gran Turismo HD will be a downloadable demo and the developer is now working on Gran Turismo 5.

when at walmart in canada last week i thought i saw a grand tourismo for the wii, or was i daydreaming?
how can wii make it i thought it was a sony exclusive

Ya it's going to be a demo. All the fanboys are saying this is awesome somehow.

I see this more like this years version of Madden being cancelled but the 3 teams they had done will be available in a demo for free. Hardly anything to celebrate over.

This is not good news. You don't buy a system for a demo.

Ya it's going to be a demo. All the fanboys are saying this is awesome somehow.

I see this more like this years version of Madden being cancelled but the 3 teams they had done will be available in a demo for free. Hardly anything to celebrate over.

This is not good news. You don't buy a system for a demo.

GT-HD was a HD version of the PS2 game Gran Turismo 4, instead of spending time in GT-HD they are focusing on GT5 100% and maybe we could see it come out earlier now. there will be free demos for it called GT HD concept the first demo is this December 24th and it will have 2 tracks and 10 cars.

GT-HD was a HD version of the PS2 game Gran Turismo 4, instead of spending time in GT-HD they are focusing on GT5 100% and maybe we could see it come out earlier now. there will be free demos for it called GT HD concept the first demo is this December 24th and it will have 2 tracks and 10 cars.

I would have likes GT HD, and am Very dissappointed, but this does allow them to focus 100% on GT5. At least thats looking on the brightside.

-----
They just lost the entire revenue of a sequel plus lot of the cost of the development until now - which means a very serious consequences for the budget of the development of next one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, this is a very smart move. The only thing they had going was 1 track and a few cars that were upgraded from GT4 to GT-HD. Seeing as the development cost for a new generation title is so much why not just spend your money on a totally new version. Besides, they were getting alot of flak for delivering GT4 in HD. So, now they are going to give the demo away for free -- so far in Japan only.

Also, what revenue? If you have to spend millions of dollars to develope a new sequel why waste that money on a HD version of GT4 when a new version of GT5 with considerably better physics and gameplay could be done. Also, by 2008 there will be millions not hundreds of thousands of PS3 owners salivating for the GT5 title. This is a very smart move. Make a better product - have a larger market -- makes very good sense!

On another note, by 2008 you might see the PS3 20GB sell for under $400 or maybe the $300 mark. A game like GT-5 could sell millions of PS3 consoles if the price of the PS3 drops by then.

----

In business, sometimes you have to drop something to push your energies into something else that will make you more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
----

In business, sometimes you have to drop something to push your energies into something else that will make you more money.

Quite the contrary you don't drop a game development at its halftime unless you have a very good reason to do - ie you have just made a rather unimpressive product AND your targeted install base will be much-much lower than expected for the next 6-12 months.

Stop living in denial, Joe - it's more than obvious why they made this decision.

Quite the contrary you don't drop a game development at its halftime unless you have a very good reason to do - ie you have just made a rather unimpressive product AND your targeted install base will be much-much lower than expected for the next 6-12 months.

Stop living in denial, Joe - it's more than obvious why they made this decision.

It was a PS2 game made in 1080p HD that was supposed to come in 2006 but when it got pushed back they made the smart thing to move to the next sequel GT5.
Gran Turismo 2000 was a game for the PS2 that never made it to the USA and Europe and when they came out with GTA3: A-Series it was the best selling PS2 game with 14million+.

It was a PS2 game made in 1080p HD that was supposed to come in 2006 but when it got pushed back they made the smart thing to move to the next sequel GT5.
Gran Turismo 2000 was a game for the PS2 that never made it to the USA and Europe and when they came out with GTA3: A-Series it was the best selling PS2 game with 14million+.

Which makes my argument even stronger, right. :) It doesn't really make any sense to release a mediocre facelifted version for ~500k or less PS3, don't you think?

Hmmm, it all makes sense to me now using this logic. I've wondered why Microsoft keeps delaying Halo 3...originally due close to Xbox 360 release last year, then April this year to upset Sony execs at their supposed release of PS3.

So Microsoft is holding out on the release of Halo 3 until they get a larger installed base of Xbox 360! Nevermind that Halo 3 would probably entice 100 billion Xbox 360's to be sold upon Halo 3's release. Releasing Halo on a never been released platform such as Xbox really hurt the sales of Halo, didn't it. :rolleyes:

Business is business, and business is to make a profit unless you want to steal money from others (ie Enron). I'm sure everything that has been talked about on this thread has prompted the dropping of GT HD, and there is not just one particular item as the driving force to make this decision.

I'm no Sony, Nintendo, or Xbox fanboy, and personally I see this as a sound decision for the PS3. That would mean PS3 will most likely get GT 5 earlier than normal because more resources will be tied to it instead of spread out amongst two games. The develepor will take what they learned from making the small but free GT HD to make the GT 5 a better game (hopefully). Anyone else may think otherwise, and that is your right.

Hmmm, it all makes sense to me now using this logic. I've wondered why Microsoft keeps delaying Halo 3...originally due close to Xbox 360 release last year, then April this year to upset Sony execs at their supposed release of PS3.

So Microsoft is holding out on the release of Halo 3 until they get a larger installed base of Xbox 360! Nevermind that Halo 3 would probably entice 100 billion Xbox 360's to be sold upon Halo 3's release. Releasing Halo on a never been released platform such as Xbox really hurt the sales of Halo, didn't it. :rolleyes:

Quite an interesting stretch how did you manage to apply this explanation for a completely different story (or for all things consoles? Who knows)...
I don't really know what makes you think that but given the apparent lack of understanding it reflects makes it irrelevant to me... MS and Sony are in quite a different story and the fact that you couldn't recognize this fairly simplistic and obvious difference on your own speaks volumes itself alone...

Business is business, and business is to make a profit unless you want to steal money from others (ie Enron). I'm sure everything that has been talked about on this thread has prompted the dropping of GT HD, and there is not just one particular item as the driving force to make this decision.

Ummm, nobody said that.

I'm no Sony, Nintendo, or Xbox fanboy, and personally I see this as a sound decision for the PS3. That would mean PS3 will most likely get GT 5 earlier than normal because more resources will be tied to it instead of spread out amongst two games. The develepor will take what they learned from making the small but free GT HD to make the GT 5 a better game (hopefully).

Aside from its mediocre graphics update I think it's pretty obvious that had PS3 sold in millions within a month the dev wouldn't have canceled their next cash-cow.

Anyone else may think otherwise, and that is your right.

Amen to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts