Grandfathering Distants Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dirty_D

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Quick sorta hypothetical - If I'm in a DMA that currently doesn't get locals thru Direct and have the Distants instead, what happens if/when Direct adds that market's locals? Would I automatically lose my Distants and pick up the locals or would I be grandfathered in until I move or something else changes?

Quick sorta hypothetical - If I'm in a DMA that currently doesn't get locals thru Direct and have the Distants instead, what happens if/when Direct adds that market's locals? Would I automatically lose my Distants and pick up the locals or would I be grandfathered in until I move or something else changes?
from my experience yes you will be unless they have changed the rules, and the fcc not directv has control over that.

From what I have read, you will lose the DNS channels, just not necessarily right away.

Would I automatically lose my Distants and pick up the locals or would I be grandfathered in until I move or something else changes?
That may depend entirely on how long you have had these distants.

Note also that HD and SD policies may (or may not) differ.

Depends on how long you have had DTV and the distants. At some point on your bill/account it will say "grandfathered" next to the distants (like mine :)). That's when you really know you get to keep them.

That said, I understand that if you move - you lose the grandfathering.

I still have both the SD East/West feeds on my account, and locals are offered in my area (and has been for 2 years). I do not pay for the locals, as I get them OTA anyway. I'd much rather have the NY/LA feeds :)

My local HDs were turned on this past Wednesday and I still have the NY locals in HD, which I have had since the day they were turned on.

If you move you lose them.

If you have dtv and all mpeg4 equipment ( as all new locals are mpeg4 ) you loose them

If you have them and your equipment is mpeg2 you keep them for a while eventually we will send you a notice about setting up a install date then you loose them.

Buy an RV and never loose them

If you move you lose them.

If you have dtv and all mpeg4 equipment ( as all new locals are mpeg4 ) you loose them

If you have them and your equipment is mpeg2 you keep them for a while eventually we will send you a notice about setting up a install date then you loose them.

Buy an RV and never loose them

OK Stone - straight up question. I'm grandfathered many years now for the east feeds and live on the "left" coast. You saying that if I upgrade my 2 very old SD boxes to HD like the rest (total of 4 boxes) I lose my east net feeds?

Have been thinking of updating the old boxes (no ST :().

No way will that fly (but I do own an RV :D).

Edit: Stone - don't compromise your DTV gig just to help the board - it's a fine line & make sure you stay on the right side!

OK Stone - straight up question. I'm grandfathered many years now for the east feeds and live on the "left" coast. You saying that if I upgrade my 2 very old SD boxes to HD like the rest (total of 4 boxes) I lose my east net feeds?

Have been thinking of updating the old boxes (no ST :().

No way will that fly (but I do own an RV :D).

Edit: Stone - don't compromise your DTV gig just to help the board - it's a fine line & make sure you stay on the right side!

Ok my understanding is this if they say grandfathered your fine no mater what. As grandfathered supposed to mean that they were pre-ftc invlovement back when anyone and there mother could have them.

Now my understanding is this.

Customer signs up for service but xyz market is not covered by locals and we say standard offer HR2x + 3 d11/12 boxes.

1 year later dtv adds locals but all new locals are being added as mpeg4

Customer gets letter from us about locals being available, we come out replace all he d11/12 with mpeg 4. We add locals and then usually by the next billing cycle our billing system drops there dns channels.

But lets say insead of that customer says never gets letter and then over the corse of time replaces equipment with all mpeg4 stuff and locals are available a random audit might then add there locals and again cause dns channels to drop off.

But again my understanding is Grandfathered dns is safe. As tc says we holding up to the same agreement we had with you before the ftc got there nose in it. With the only exception of being if you go 30 days or more being disconnect do to non payment we cant reinstate those dns channels.

Oh dont worry about my job. they have to work hard to figure out who I am. Also worst case scenario i get a slap on the wrist . Out of all the call centers dtv has they could not tell me if I was in the world . For all they know i could be one of those late night forgien operators.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts