Gray bar on R22 when viewing locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lambsk

Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I've got a R22 DVR+ on a standard def television. All of the channels fill the TV screen except my local channels which have a gray bar at the top and bottom when the station transmits in HD. When it is a non HD format it is also croped on the sides. I was told by the installer that the once the switch to digital takes place that the stations will be displayed in full screen. Is this correct? When I contacted D* tech support they didn't know anything about this and they couldn't figure out why I wasn't receiving the picture in full screen format. They had me do a reset on the receiver but it didn't do any good. Am I stuck with the gray bars???:rolleyes:

First, it would REALLY help US, help YOU, if you told us your local market, or city you're in... ;) ;)

But since we DON'T know, I suspect you are in one of the 72.5 local markets, where your R22 is actually picking up the HD feeds of your local stations on the Ka birds, which is why you are seeing what you are.

The fix is simple - go into the R22's setup menu, under the HDTV tab & change the TV aspect ratio to 4:3 & your locals should be correct now.

Our locals are the Davenport IA-Rock Island IL-Moline IL area. The aspect ratio is set at 4:3. Thanks.

Our local market is Davenport IA-Rock Island IL-Moline IL. The aspect ratio is set at 4:3.

Thanks.

OK, your are in the same boat as we are down here.
Have you tried hitting the format button on the front of the box or remote, so that the R22 does a "zoom" on your locals?

When I do that it tells me that HD resolutions are not available on this receiver.

Well, I'll have to find someone with one around here & see if WE are having the same issues. (I don't have one)
I do know that after D* updated the software to enable the 4:3 setting right after our locals were put up in MPEG4, it took care of that problem in our area, so it might be possible it's a local issue in your area. (at the local receive facility, etc.)

I've got a R22 DVR+ on a standard def television. All of the channels fill the TV screen except my local channels which have a gray bar at the top and bottom when the station transmits in HD. When it is a non HD format it is also croped on the sides. I was told by the installer that the once the switch to digital takes place that the stations will be displayed in full screen. Is this correct? When I contacted D* tech support they didn't know anything about this and they couldn't figure out why I wasn't receiving the picture in full screen format. They had me do a reset on the receiver but it didn't do any good. Am I stuck with the gray bars???:rolleyes:

Think your installer knows what he's talking about unless the switch occurs and the problem is the same.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)