Gray screen of death on 498

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So, I to suffered from the black screen of nothing. and i messed with it all day off and on. none of the posted solutions worked at the time.

What did end up working was changing lines on the receiver. The downstairs receiver(h20's) both got the message. the upstairs HR20 did not. it was the longest cable run as well.

So i changed lines on the reciever while tuned to 498. then i simply flipped down and back up to 498 and viola. i had a welcome screen! on my hr20. Now i can sleep peacefully knowing that nothing on my end will cause me to be left out when those channels start showing up in the morning hours of Tuesday/Wednesday!

I just called a D* CSR and told them of my problem on 498, she put me on hold for about 5 + minutes and came back and said she would send me new bbc's. I was surprised she didn't even try to troubleshoot! Oh, btw I hate that when they do. Because, I often know more info.

I just called a D* CSR and told them of my problem on 498, she put me on hold for about 5 + minutes and came back and said she would send me new bbc's. I was surprised she didn't even try to troubleshoot! Oh, btw I hate that when they do. Because, I often know more info.
I've got brand new filters on mine and still no picture on 498

I tried the pause-unpause trick, and I got the congratulations screen now.

Kinda ridiculous, though.

personally, my hr20 700 works fine and on both inputs,,, based on what I am seeing here as to what people are doing to get a congrats message, I believe this to be a sync timing issue,,, if I am right then this could easily be attributed to a batch of borderline components produced through a unique production run time period which could be mapped back to a serial numer range.... I have seen elsewhere that someone named Earl at DBS has stated not to call D* about the problem,,,, but if it is caused by a bad run of components then D* would be the only ones to have the database to start putting the puzzle together as to what the issue really is.

Jamie,
What to do ???
RELAX ...
If the other two channels show fine 480, 481 then you know the BBannd converter are ok, no need to do anything.

Jimbo

Ok. I'll won't do anything. That sounds like good advice.

I've tried every trick I've seen and still no progress. H20 is seeing the message and the HR20 is not.

It goes to black for just a half second, like it wants to do something, and then it goes to gray. At this point, I think all I can do, is wait until the channels lit up and see if I can get them. The BBC test screens say I'm good to go there.

I just don't know what else to do.
same here

Have been looking into the forums about the channel 498 on HR20-700 black screen and gray screen problem.

Looks like a software glitch to me.

Some with problems are running an old multi-switch and not the
new "WB" wide band model.

Here are a couple examples of how some tricked unit into showing congratulation screen.

Example 1:

Kept playing with my system (HR20-700) started recording channel 72 switched back to 498 nothing.
Then started recording cahnnel 73 along with 72.
Switched back to 498 after canceling the recording on 73 finally got the congrats slide on 498.
Switched back to 73 than 72 then back to 498 and I lost the slide.

This worked for me HR20 - 700.

Example 2:
HR20-700.
AT9
no multiswitch
BBC's installed.
Native mode off. Only have 1080i resolution enbabled on HR20-700.
Sammy 42" plasma.
HDMI input.

Read about changing native off/on then ch to 72>73>498.
Didn't work.

Turned native on and turned on 480P and 720P resolution. Then did the
ch 72>73>498

And I get the congrats screen and also get success on 480/481.

Hope this helps others.

Matt

Uh.....it's working for me now. HR20 & H20.

I paused on 498. Recorded about 2 minutes...kept hitting pause/ff/pause/ff...out of frustration out of anything than effort.....

and it the congrats screen came up.

Uh.....it's working for me now. HR20 & H20.

I paused on 498. Recorded about 2 minutes...kept hitting pause/ff/pause/ff...out of frustration out of anything than effort.....

and it the congrats screen came up.
WHat do you think you will have to do tomorrow to get it to work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)