Great deal on 6ft dish $100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nycrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
There have been several request on this site where can someone purchase an economical C band dish.
I found this 6ft dish on EBay
http://m.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Meter-180...-Ku-Band-Dishnetwork-/171882555893?nav=SEARCH
and decided to purchase.
I bought it for $150, but the seller was nice enough to issue back a credit of $50 when I informed him of the price.
Communications with the seller was fast and responsive. As you can see I left positive feedback.
Shipping was fast, took 5 days from his location to me in Florida.
Most important the dish arrived double boxed and securely taped without any dents or damages.
I recently bought a 8ft mesh dish but decided it would take too much space in my small garden patio.
If you look back at my older posts you can see I have great success with these 6 footers. I can get from 12-136W.
Obviously for the price at $100 the dish is not heavy duty but economical and reception is great using a C/ku combo lnb DMX and an Amiko 3 receiver.
Some of the Intelsats below 50W are spotty because there footprint require an 8 footer.
DVB-S2 is great, but I guess it depends on your receiver .
Obviously with the advances in receivers and LNBs, reception is much better on a 6 footer than in the past.
This dish is not polar mounted. I wished it did, but is a great addition to my collection at an affordable price.
I will submit pics of it.

Reactions: fred555 and FTA4PA
Wow, that's a nice price. I'm not sure what I'd do with a weird mount like that though, I don't have a lot of solid/level ground to put it on... Bolting it to a pallet loaded with cinder blocks would be the best option, but I tried that with a Ku dish once and the frost heaving drove me nuts in the winter. What's the beamwidth of a 6-foot C-band dish?

I'd bet someone who was good at welding (which wouldn't be me :rolleyes:) could put together a polar mount for these fairly easily. :)

This is what the polar mount looks like for this dish:

downloadfile.jpeg

No thats not my pretty lawn, its a picture I found on the web for reference when I assembled mine. I can take more pictures of my own dish if needed.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a nice price. I'm not sure what I'd do with a weird mount like that though, I don't have a lot of solid/level ground to put it on... Bolting it to a pallet loaded with cinder blocks would be the best option, but I tried that with a Ku dish once and the frost heaving drove me nuts in the winter. What's the beamwidth of a 6-foot C-band dish?

Somewhere around 6 degrees is typical.

The Ebay auction 6-footer looks almost the same as the old Sadoun 6 footer that has a polar mount. Sadouns was actually a pretty good dish, if you installed and orthomode feed and 8515 lnbs. I know this, as I did it. Kinda like putting a supercharger on a Chevette. I later replaced mine with a 10ft dish, and never looked back...

I had a previous 6 footer back in 2011 when I bought a Fortec from Sadoun for $360. Attached is pics from my previous 6 foot dish. My cable run was 150 ft. Attached is old pics of my previous setup until I moved due to a divorce, to show the polar mount. I prefer a 6 footer here in Florida. If the weather gets bad it is very easy to detach from the pole. I did not hestitate to buy another one again. From time to time polar mounts are available on Ebay for approx $35. I m hoping to get lucky.
I still have the 8 footer mesh I bought two months back from Tek2000 still in the box. A 6 footer weights only 50 lbs versus an 8 footer at 100+ lbs.
I received most sats including the circular polarized sats by using the insert in my NS741 C/Ku lnb. I get roughly 90 % of the sats from 15-135W. Im using an Amiko 3 has a very sensitive receiver and good for blind scanning. I need to pull my Azbox Premium Plus from the closet to check 4:2:2 signals. In the past higher FEC like 7/8 was difficult on a 6 footer. However since most broadcasters that was using this error correction switched to DVB-S2 or Mpeg4, I receive them well.

Attachments

• Fortec1-24in motor.jpg
    Fortec1-24in motor.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 297
  • fortec4- looking at 15w.jpg
    fortec4- looking at 15w.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 317
  • Fortec6- looking at 139W.jpg
    Fortec6- looking at 139W.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 310
  • Sat pics 1 004.jpg
    Sat pics 1 004.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 306
  • Sat pics 1 010.jpg
    Sat pics 1 010.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: fred555
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)