Great Sports Moments You Have witnessed

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Watching a show on HBO called Sport In America, talking about moments in sports

Kind of made me think, what are some of the great moments you have seen live or on TV?

For me being at Comerica Park in 2006, Tigers making a playoff appearance after a long drought being there to beat the favored Yankees, crowd was electric you can feel the moment and seeing the wings and the Steve Yzerman lift his first cup after that long 40 some year drought.

I am sure I can think of some more

Oh on the other side I can remember being a teenager watching Pistons/Celtics playoff game on TV thinking we finally beat these celtics, only to see celtics steel a I bounce pass to win the game

One of the greatest moments I ever witnessed as an Iowa fan was the Hawkeyes beating LSU in the Capitol One Bowl with a bomb in the final seconds. It was the fist time I got to witness my favorite team win in that fashion.

Another one was Iowa beating a highly ranked Penn St. at night with a last second field goal for the upset.

This one really wasn't that great but it was a huge moment in sports, the Bartman catch interference in the Cubs/Marlins playoff game. I literally teared up after that game.

I was at Yankee Stadium for Don Mattingly's last game there.

As a kid, watching Harmon Killebrew knock the snot out of a baseball in Tiger Stadium. The crowd gasped when he launched a baseball well into the upper-bleachers in deep left-center, and it probably would have cleared the roof had he pulled the pitch to left-field. Yeah, it was just a regular season game, but I never forgot the feeling of witnessing that moment.

So many great ones I can't possibly list them all.

The miracle in the meadowlands.All New York had to do was kneel to win the game,instead they tried to hand the ball to Larry Csonka,Pisarcik the qb sort of muffed the hand off,Herm Edwards scooped it up and ran it in for the game winning td.That was awesome!

The catch,as a lifelong Dallas hater,nothing better than witnessing Montana to Dwight Clark to defeat them!SF went on to win their first SB.

So many amazing college plays as well,my favorite is of course a Tarheel NCAA championship moment.UNC has a 63-62 lead,Georgetown has the ball with time running down,Sleepy Floyd of Georgetown inexplicably tosses the ball to UNC's James Worthy!The rest is history!

My greatest sports moment was watching Wade Shalles pin the undefeated Bimbo Chatman in the semi-finals of the Pennsylvania State High Schol wrestling championship. Rec Hall went crazy. It is a moment i will never forget.

Kind of made me think, what are some of the great moments you have seen live or on TV?

For me being at Comerica Park in 2006, Tigers making a playoff appearance after a long drought being there to beat the favored Yankees, crowd was electric you can feel the moment and seeing the wings and the Steve Yzerman lift his first cup after that long 40 some year drought.

I am sure I can think of some more

Oh on the other side I can remember being a teenager watching Pistons/Celtics playoff game on TV thinking we finally beat these celtics, only to see celtics steel a I bounce pass to win the game

I remember seeing all of these as well, also remember seeing the Pistons finally get past the dreaded Jordan led Chicago Bulls.

My happiest time of the ones mentioned here would be Yzerman and company winning the cup !

I mentioned above about seeing Iowa upset LSU in their bowl game and now I get to see the rematch this year. Iowa plays LSU again in the Outback Bowl New Years day. Once again LSU should be a heavy favorite.

I was 12 years old and attended the 1978 Yankees-Red Sox 1 game playoff (aka "Bucky Dent Game"). I'll never forget the guy next to me came down from Maine with his two young sons, and when Yaz popped out to Nettles to end the game, the father was crying uncontrollably and had to be consoled by his two sons. :(

Several to mention all of them but some would be....
-Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hit record
-Tom Browning pitching a perfect game
-Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gerhig's record
-The coldest game in NFL history (Chargers vs. Bengals) 1-10-1982
-The Fog Bowl (Eagles vs. Bears) 12-31-1988

As I always say to my Patriot fan friends, that was one of the best 59 minutes and 58 seconds of football ever played. Too bad they didn't play the last 2 seconds. You never know what might have happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several to mention all of them but some would be....
-Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hit record
-Tom Browning pitching a perfect game
-Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gerhig's record
-The coldest game in NFL history (Chargers vs. Bengals) 1-10-1982
-The Fog Bowl (Eagles vs. Bears) 12-31-1988

Ahh the coldest game in NFL history,I hated that freaking game,air Coryell couldn't do squat in those frigid temps!

Then the infamous fog bowl,I watched but danged if I could see a thing,hated the outcome of that one too.

i watched this program, it was very well done. please watch it.
it is not at all about watching TV. it's about going to the games. Paying with your $$$.

that said

the 1989 Grey Cup game in Toronto
see it on youtube
money well spent lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)