Great Sports Moments You Have witnessed

Fog bowl, Walter Payton breaking the all-time rushing record, Game 1 NBA Finals Bulls-Lakers when Michael made the famous change hands layup, and Super owl in '79 when Jackie Smith dropped the TD pass.

On TV events..

"The Wink" Patrick Roy on McSorley in 93 CUp Finals.
"The Bite" Tyson/Hollyfield
"The Tuck" Pats/Raiders
Numerous Patriots/Brady comebacks.
Jordan's flu game
Magic's returns to the all-star game after retiring.
El-Presidente, El-Perfecto
Canada mens hockey gold medal OT win in Vancouver
Joe Carter WS winning HR over Mitch Williams

Am sure a lot more...

David Well's perfect game while hungover ---> Classic!

In person I haven't seen anything that was a historic moment per se. The most close is probably July 1, 1973. Hal King hit a three run HR for the Reds in bottom of the 9th to spur a huge comeback for the Reds to win the NL West against the Dodgers. The Reds were 11 1/2 back that day and after that win they got Red hot and won the division.

On TV I have seen most every historic moment in MLB,NFL,NBA,Colleg football & basketball. I watch way too much sports.
The ones that stand out are Hank Aaron 715th HR. Watch that with my dad. It was on Monday Night baseball on NBC.
Evfen though it was hugely disappointing to me (UK Fan),Christain Laetners game winning shot in 92 regionals. One of best games I haver ever seen. Just not the perfect ending for me.
Pete Rose's record breaking hit. I was in college and watched it a dorm lounge with a bunch of others. After Rose got that hit the lounge emptied out and I could watch the rest of the game in peace. ;)

While I was going to Ga Tech, a few friends of mine went down to a game at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium during the NCLS and got to see the slowest man in baseball beat Barry Bond's throw. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
At the game, Carl Yastrezemski's farewell game at Fenway

At Cooperstown, Carl Yastrezemski's induction into the Hall of Fame

At the games, University of Ct's first of three Men's Basketball National Championships played in Tampa, beating Duke in 1999.

On TV the first of many, many National Championships Uconn Women beating Tennessee going 35-0 that year in 1995.

Both Men and Women Uconn Basketball National Champions in 2004 only University to ever do so. (what a year, see below)(And I believe only to have both Coaches in the Hall of Fame)

On Tv - Watching the Red Sox take four in a row down 3 -0 from the Yankees to get to the World Series in 2004, and winning for first time in 80 something years. My Father finally saw them win before passing away later that year.

At the game, David Ortiz hitting a grand slam against the Tigers this year, inning 8 in game two and going on to win the game of the AL playoffs to tie the game. Had the Red Sox lost may not have gone to the World Series would have been down 2 games to none at home.

top 10 tv watches

Joe Namath Super Bowl III win
Buster Douglas ko over Iron Mike
2007 AFL Grand Final Geelong Cats over Port Adelaide. Cats first Grand Final win in 44 years
Villanova over Georgetown 1985 NCAA championship
Ali over George Foreman in the Rope a Dope
Franco Harris Immaculate Reception
Willis Reed Limps Onto Court and i'm a Laker fan
San Diego beats Miami In longest game in NFL history December, 1980
2002 Ohio State Buckeyes Football National Championship
Joe Carter's extra inning homer gives Toronto World Series win - happy for him
(quit going to Indians games when they did not pay him, thus lost my love of the game)

and still waiting for #1 a Cav's,Browns or even Indians Championship

Won... working for Chicago Sportschannel in the 90s, I watch quite a few games LIVE:

- MJ scoring 35 points in the 1st half of gm1 NBA Finals vs Portland in '92
- MJ scoring "double nickels" on the Knicks in MSG after "playing baseball" for a little while in March of '95
- Roy Halladay's Perfect Game against the Marlins on May 29th, 2010. I went not even remotely thinking this was going to come close to happening. The pitching duel "on paper" looked amazing. Halladay vs Josh Johnson. I HONESTLY thought they might get racked before even thinking it would be a pitching duel.
- Opening Ceremonies/Game of the 1994 World Cup in Chicago. It was an amazing event. The president of Germany and POTUS Bill Clinton in the house(Soldier Field looked AMAZING). Germany won the opening game vs Uruguay
- 1983 AFC Playoff game between the Los Angeles Raiders and the Pittsburgh Steelers. This was the game Marcus Allen went off with 190 yards rushing.

There a few more that I cannot remember. I have been VERY FORTUNATE to attend many games out of pure luck and my former jobs.

Kirby Pucketts Game 6 homer to send it to game 7
Jack Morris game 7 complete game win to win the 1991 series
Cal Ripkens 2131 game
Many of the No hitters named above
1980 US Hockey win over The USSR
Many of Michael Jordan's top games

December 29th 2013,a day Eagles fans will be very happy,a day when Cowboy fans will be very disappointed.LeSean McCoy running wild all over the weak Cowboy D,Kyle Orton throwing a pick six...

Wait that might have been a dream.Then again...:D

December 29th 2013,a day Eagles fans will be very happy,a day when Cowboy fans will be very disappointed.LeSean McCoy running wild all over the weak Cowboy D,Kyle Orton throwing a pick six...

Wait that might have been a dream.Then again...:D

dad gum that was a powerful dream!

At the game, Carl Yastrezemski's farewell game at Fenway

At Cooperstown, Carl Yastrezemski's induction into the Hall of Fame

At the games, University of Ct's first of three Men's Basketball National Championships played in Tampa, beating Duke in 1999.

On TV the first of many, many National Championships Uconn Women beating Tennessee going 35-0 that year in 1995.

Both Men and Women Uconn Basketball National Champions in 2004 only University to ever do so. (what a year, see below)(And I believe only to have both Coaches in the Hall of Fame)

On Tv - Watching the Red Sox take four in a row down 3 -0 from the Yankees to get to the World Series in 2004, and winning for first time in 80 something years. My Father finally saw them win before passing away later that year.

At the game, David Ortiz hitting a grand slam against the Tigers this year, inning 8 in game two and going on to win the game of the AL playoffs to tie the game. Had the Red Sox lost may not have gone to the World Series would have been down 2 games to none at home.

I was on the front row (in the pep band) for UConn's first title in 1999. Amazing.

I was in South Bend for UConn's first football win after the murder of CB Jasper Howard, in double OT.

So many great ones I can't possibly list them all.

The miracle in the meadowlands.All New York had to do was kneel to win the game,instead they tried to hand the ball to Larry Csonka,Pisarcik the qb sort of muffed the hand off,Herm Edwards scooped it up and ran it in for the game winning td.That was awesome!

The catch,as a lifelong Dallas hater,nothing better than witnessing Montana to Dwight Clark to defeat them!SF went on to win their first SB.

So many amazing college plays as well,my favorite is of course a Tarheel NCAA championship moment.UNC has a 63-62 lead,Georgetown has the ball with time running down,Sleepy Floyd of Georgetown inexplicably tosses the ball to UNC's James Worthy!The rest is history!

You were at Giants Stadium for "The fumble"?.....I had never come that close to destroying a TV when that happened.

Most of mine would be PBA Bowling related.

Are you old enough to have watched Del Ballard's infamous gutter shot on Ball #12 of what could have been a 300 game.
BTW, had Ballard struck on his 12th ball he would have won a $100,000 bonus. ABC had recently upped the bonus for a televised 300 from $10k to $100k.

You were at Giants Stadium for "The fumble"?.....I had never come that close to destroying a TV when that happened.

Oh no dishcomm,all of my most memorable sports moments have been right from the comfort of home.I can tell you that I was getting up to turn the tv off,no remote then,when the fumble happened.I nearly jumped into the ceiling.:D

Witnessed in person..
Spectacular Bid's loss in the 1979 Belmont. Had Bid won, he'd have been the 3rd consecutive TC winner. The admission was $2
Evander Holyfield pounds Dwight Qawi into submission in 5 rounds in Atlantic City. This was Holyfield's last fight before his first heayweight title match. This fight ticket cost $25. I won $190 playing roulette that night.
1986 NLCS..Game 5...Mets win 2-1 in 12 innings.
Originally scheduled for the previous day, but rained out, Astros future Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan befuddles the Mets lineup for 9 innings pitching 2 hit ball. The only blemish was a Darryl Strawberry Home run in the bottom of the 5th
that was disputed by the Astros. The umpires ruled it a fair ball.
Wally Backman leads off the bottom of the 12th. Hit a grounder to shortstop Craig Reynolds. The throw is off line. Backman appears to leave the baseline to evade the tag. After a long argument and He is ruled safe.
Backman takes second on an error by Pitcher Charlie Kerfeld. Gary Carter singles home Backman for a 2-1 Mets win..BTW the face value on the ticket( mezzanine level) $12....
Nov 9,1981.....For the first time in Tony Dorsett's career, the Dallas Cowboys lose a game in which Dorsett had rushed for 100 yards or more.
Dorsett had 183 yards on 24 carries..The New York Giants picked off 5 Danny White passes and hang on to win 38-35. The ticket cost $18.

In person I haven't seen anything that was a historic moment per se. The most close is probably July 1, 1973. Hal King hit a three run HR for the Reds in bottom of the 9th to spur a huge comeback for the Reds to win the NL West against the Dodgers. The Reds were 11 1/2 back that day and after that win they got Red hot and won the division.

On TV I have seen most every historic moment in MLB,NFL,NBA,Colleg football & basketball. I watch way too much sports.
The ones that stand out are Hank Aaron 715th HR. Watch that with my dad. It was on Monday Night baseball on NBC.
Evfen though it was hugely disappointing to me (UK Fan),Christain Laetners game winning shot in 92 regionals. One of best games I haver ever seen. Just not the perfect ending for me.
Pete Rose's record breaking hit. I was in college and watched it a dorm lounge with a bunch of others. After Rose got that hit the lounge emptied out and I could watch the rest of the game in peace. ;)

Kirk Gibson's 12th inning home run off Roger McDowell in game 4 of the 1988 NLCS... I was crushed.
The Dodgers were given virtually no chance of winning that series going 1-11 vs the Mets in the regular season.