Greetings AGAIN from Baltimore!

With the 811, why is there no picture in guide? And why doesn't it
have the new 322 menu style?
Are the remote's the same?
Info Not Available! If the 811 needs a software update, could't they
do the 6000 also?
After looking at the 811 guide picture, this gives me exactly what my
6000 does! I was hoping for new guide info like the 322 has, for the 811.
My personal HD needs contain Guide info, do I save my money & pass
on the 811? Seems like another 811 & 6000 are similiar.

Scott,

If you get another chance to ask questions please see if you can find out what they intend to do with HD for subscribers in Alaska. If they move everything to 105 we will not be able to get any HD!

Thanks

The 811 might not have had the picture in guide feature turned on. It runs EXACTLY like a 301 and looks just like it as well.

It was announced today that most older recievers will soon have the 2 day guide on them!!

I would expect the 6000 to be one of them.

I do not believe that the 322/522 use linux, as the 322 uses the same case as a 301 and has no hard drive.

I was told that the 811 and 921 will NOT support PSIP instead Dish is planning on offering guide data for your off air stations, they also feel that most stations are not using psip (or are not using it correctly) There will be seemless intergration with OTA and Dish Channels.

I will be posting a bunch more pics and my full reviews tommorow here at SatelliteGuys.US be sure to look out for them. :)

Thanks everyone for your support and remember your not a "bad guy" from coming here, your a SatelliteGuy. :D

Well I guess I won't have a chance to run into you then. I thought that perhaps we could meet and spend the night in State College and watch the PSU game against Minnesota. Perhaps some other time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I do not believe that the 322/522 use linux.

You are 100 percent correct Scott.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thanks everyone for your support and remember your not a "bad guy" for coming here, you're a SatelliteGuy. :D
I thought it was very low for the "people" from the "other" board to refer to the members of this board as "bad guys" and to quote "rules" about NOT posting links to this site. What a bunch of petty CRAP.

It was announced today that most older recievers will soon have the 2 day guide on them!!

I would expect the 6000 to be one of them.
That would be very good news for 6000 owners.

I was told that the 811 and 921 will NOT support PSIP instead Dish is planning on offering guide data for your off air stations, they also feel that most stations are not using psip (or are not using it correctly) There will be seemless intergration with OTA and Dish Channels.
This is also good news that you previously reported on DBSTalk (in Q&A thread). Did they mention whether guide data for off-air stations would be available at launch?

Scott Greczkowski said:

What is PSIP?

Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP)

You can go to www.psip.org for a full description.

I wonder if some of the 301's (like the rev. 013) are able to be upgraded to a 311 just as the 3800 was upgraded to 3900.

I am also wondering if the 111 and 311 are going to have the same look on the screens as the 322 and 522 (just like those pictured in this thread).

It seems to me that this may be the next generation of software to come out for the Dish receivers, just as there was software when the company first came out, then the opentv software, now this software.

Scott, have you heard anything about HD packages for new subscribers? I've heard rumors of a 811, Superdish, Installation all for $399? Is this a fact and will it be available to new subscribers?

jm9 said:

I have to read all that? My best guess is embedded guide information in the video stream, but that's a guess.

The 322 and 522 looks amazing! Almost looks like a Tivo. Great step up! Why doesn't the 811 look like that? That's disappointing that it's using older software. Post more pictures, these look great!

jcrash:

That was my guess also. I think there is also channel mapping information. Here in the minneapolis some HD boxes seem to have problem correctly processing the PSIP. CBS is channel 32 digitally and it gets remapped to 4.1. The PSIP gets changed and some hardware will not see 4.1 anymore. They have to reset the box and remap the channels everytime PSIP changes. I think that dish recongnizes some problems with PSIP and are creating something that they can control.

jcrash said:
jm9 said:

I have to read all that? My best guess is embedded guide information in the video stream, but that's a guess.

Two things in the data stream: System Information and Program Guide information.

SI includes such things as what time it is, what the virtual channel (number) is, what program rating system or systems are being used, etc. There are also tables to allow a station to redirect receivers to a new channel temporarily.

PG includes the Event Information Tables and Extended Text Tables, and is very similar to the Program Information carried in the DVB services.

My limited experience is that most broadcast stations today do NOT properly deliver even the most basic and fundamental part of PSIP, the System Time Table. The ATSC standard requires the time be accurate to within 1 second, yet I have seen stations off by as much as 2 hours. Obviously, if the receiver thinks it is 5:30 instead of 7:30, it is NOT going to start that recording at the right time. (Exactly how hard is it to set the time correctly and keep it that way? Dish and D* manage to do it without problem...)

And the Program Guide information is basically optional in the standard. The best I have seen on any local OTA channel I can receive is a 24 hour program titled with the ID and channel number of the station. No real program information.

I think the local network affiliates are blowing a huge opportunity here, and they may not get a second chance.

Bill R said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I do not believe that the 322/522 use linux.

You are 100 percent correct Scott.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thanks everyone for your support and remember your not a "bad guy" for coming here, you're a SatelliteGuy. :D
I thought it was very low for the "people" from the "other" board to refer to the members of this board as "bad guys" and to quote "rules" about NOT posting links to this site. What a bunch of petty CRAP.

Could be Embedded Linux ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)