Greetings from the Echostar Press Event

I can't wait for Scott to report the all important Q&A. Particularly regarding the question about the resolution.

179 people viewing this thread right now!

Lost a bunch of stuff as I lost my internet connection.

Q&A Time

The pocketdish will be able to transfer HD files to it when the programming is in MPEG4.

Chalie talks about Lifetime a bit.

They mentioned 7 HD channels would be launched on February 1st, I asked what the 7th channel was and I was told it was Universal HD.

There will also be a special Dish Network HD feed of the olympics.

What will the upgrade options be for existing customers?

Charlie is still talking about Lifetime still. Lifetime was $1 and now wants $1.76. (Those numbers are illistrative numbers)

Charlie say no way, he says even ESPN has never demanded a 76% price increase (over 3 years)

Questions come about Video on Demand. Charlie says that by using a DVR gives you better VOD then what the cable companies have. (groan) Charlie says their Video On Damand lets you chose what you want to watch not what cable wants to give you.

DNiermeyer said:
Looks like additional HD will be on 129 degrees. The slide about HD shows a Dish 1000.

This is very bad for the east coast if true. I can't even try to get 129!

I can barely get 119! I have to put a dish all the way over to my front yard for 119!

When are they going to enable archiving to an external USB drive?

philhu said:
This is very bad for the east coast if true. I can't even try to get 129!
I can barely get 119! I have to put a dish all the way over to my front yard for 119!
I wouldn't worry about 129. Any national HD on 129 would have to be mirrored on 61.5, since the whole Northeast US can't see 129. ESPN-2 and the VOOM stuff is already on 61.5, in test mode.

Well looks like I might as well give DTV a call. I only lease my DVR and HD box 2(boxes) And if they are going to give us HDTV Lite and call it good then I might as well go with DTV and get some DNS HD service. I am really ashamed/saddened that this is the route they are going.

I asked Charlie if there is any plans to bring Howard Stern to Dish, and he said sounds good let's spend $100 million a year to get Howard Stern, he then starts laughing.

And the press conference concludes.

What the difference most people will not be upgraded by Feb. 1 anyway, and will not get any new HD channels. Leave it to Dish to not even have a transition period to MPEG4.

Lucky said:
What the difference most people will not be upgraded by Feb. 1 anyway, and will not get any new HD channels. Leave it to Dish to not even have a transition period to MPEG4.

I was just going to post this! How can they RELEASE NEW CHANNELS nobody can pick up?

Even if you ordered a new rcvr on 2/1, it would takes days to get. And I bet they get backordered since everyone and their mother will need to order them AND they will probably reserve most for new customers first anyway.

Anyone else see a problem with this plan?

-edit- Since all I have is an 811, I know Charlie gives a rats ass about a free upgrade for me.
Can I just buy a 411 rcvr from dishstore, and call Dish and have them convert my acct to it? Rmving the 811? Then on 2/1, I'll have all the channels right?

Last edited:
Hopefully come the charlie chat, they will talk about upgrade options, that we can do now to have stuff by the 1st (remember, the 411 is available, just not the DVR, so in there eyes, we CAN see it on the 1st if we order a 411 now etc..)

I mean at least they could have made ESPN2HD and Universal HD MPEG2 couldn't they ? At least then most of us could see these channels right away. What a dumb company.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I asked Charlie if there is any plans to bring Howard Stern to Dish, and he said sounds good let's spend $100 million a year to get Howard Stern, he then starts laughing.

And the press conference concludes.
Who wants to see Howard stern anyways, Charlie is saving us from Howard!

Scott, any talk about upgrade offers for existing HD customers? existing 921/942 owners that is? or even existing 6000/811 owners?