Greg Schiano interviewed for Michigan job!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I am a HUGE Greg Schiano fan from his days at The U and I think this would be a very good fit. IF ANYONE knows the pressures of coaching at a university where it is EXPECTED TO WIN, he would. He is a class act AND an EXCELLENT recruiter, ESPECIALLY in the talent rich southeast! I HOPE he gets it! GO BLUE!!;)

Greg Schiano, head coach at Rutgers, was informally interviewed on Tuesday for the Michigan vacancy, according to a published report.

The (New Jersey) Star-Ledger, in a story on its Web site, said Schiano met "for quite a while" with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin about the opening to succeed Lloyd Carr, who announced his resignation two weeks ago after 13 years as the Wolverines' head coach. The newspaper cited an unidentified person who speaks regularly with Schiano. Neither Schiano, 41, nor Martin could be reached Thursday night for comment. Rutgers athletic director Bob Mulcahy said Schiano's agent, Bryan Harlan, "asked for permission to meet" with Martin, but Michigan has yet to seek permission to formally speak with Schiano, according to The Star-Ledger. "I have not heard anything formally from Michigan -- yet," Mulcahy told the paper. The paper cited unidentified sources saying the meeting took place Tuesday night in New York during the College Football Hall of Fame banquet at a midtown Manhattan hotel. Though Michigan has made no official offer to Schiano, the paper reported one could be coming soon. Schiano, who was named the 2006 Big East Coach of the Year, has led the Scarlet Knights to a 37-46 record and three bowl appearances -- including the International Bowl against Ball State on Jan. 6 -- in seven years. A year ago, Schiano turned down a chance to become coach at Miami, where was defensive coordinator before coming to Rutgers. Schiano signed a four-year extension through 2016 that will pay him $1.7 million annually after pulling out of contention for the Miami job.

ESPN - Michigan AD meets with Schiano about Wolverines' job - College Football

This is starting to get comical. Everyone that Michigan expresses an interest in, promptly holds a press conference saying they are staying at their respective school.

This is starting to get comical. Everyone that Michigan expresses an interest in, promptly holds a press conference saying they are staying at their respective school.

I wouldn't read too much into those press conferences...they King of Sham, Alabama, former Dolphin coach, former LSU coach, former assistant Michigan State coach Nick Saban did it ALL the time. Like other coaches did too...

What does Schiano have against being head coach at any school named U of M? This guy turned down Miami, and now Michigan to stay at Rutgers? Maybe a big program is more than he can handle. Or maybe he figures Paterno won't coach till he's 100 yrs. old. My money is on him wanting the Penn St. job, and he's willing to wait. i thought he would be a good fit for Michigan also, Salsa.

What does Schiano have against being head coach at any school named U of M? This guy turned down Miami, and now Michigan to stay at Rutgers? Maybe a big program is more than he can handle. Or maybe he figures Paterno won't coach till he's 100 yrs. old. My money is on him wanting the Penn St. job, and he's willing to wait. i thought he would be a good fit for Michigan also, Salsa.

I don't get it either. No offense to those fans, students, boosters and alumni....but WHY would you turn down 2 MAJOR football institutions like Michigan and Miami for Rutgers?? You got me Paul...maybe he IS NOT ready for big time football?:(

Maybe he goes by the rule of wanting to be a big fish in a little pond instead of being a little fish in a big pond....?:confused:

Well he does have New Jersey (ESPN called it a football hotbed, really?) all to himself, and only West Va. to beat. What happened to all the "great" teams in the Big East everyone has been crowing about here for the last two seasons, anyhow? I read in the Free Press (Detroit) this morning that people close to Schiano say he looks "tired and beat up". Maybe Rutgers IS all he can handle at this point.

Well he does have New Jersey (ESPN called it a football hotbed, really?) all to himself, and only West Va. to beat. What happened to all the "great" teams in the Big East everyone has been crowing about here for the last two seasons, anyhow? I read in the Free Press (Detroit) this morning that people close to Schiano say he looks "tired and beat up". Maybe Rutgers IS all he can handle at this point.

Well...here is a tough question....which is harder, building a program from scratch with very little tradition or maintaining a power house with high expectations? Either way, you're gonna be wornout.

I heard somebody on ESPN Radio( a writer) say he stayed because he thought Rutgers was on the verge of becoming a top football power and he wanted to be part of that from the beginning. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about but he did get on a national radio show to say it. There has to be some appeal in being their Woody Hayes, I don't see that Rutgers is that close.

I also heard somebody from the Big Ten Network say he didn't think Les Miles was out of the equation yet. He's an announcer and former coach who had sources from both Miles and Michigan. He says contracts can be bought out. Usually brand new contracts don't get bought out, though. He said if LSU wins, how can they be mad at him there, having just won them a NC. Doesn't make sense to me. You can hear a lot of stuff if you're stuck moving snow for a couple hours.:)

By Rob Oller
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Dispatch coverage

First Les Miles and now Greg Schiano. It's as if the yellow on the Michigan winged helmet has dripped to create egg on the face of the Wolverines football program.

The school that likes to cluck about its rich football history -- NCAA records for most wins (860) and highest winning percentage (.745) -- is in the awkward position of wondering why its lofty reputation isn't enough to get coaches to crawl on their knees to accept the job opening created when Lloyd Carr announced his retirement in November.

Someone asked former OSU great Chris Spielman if he'd take the Michigan coaching job if asked.
Spielman's reply? [I paraphrase] "I'd rather slice my wrists with broken glass then gouge out my eyes with the broken glass."

I like his response!
Losing out on Miles is one thing. The former Michigan player and coach was a natural choice to succeed Carr, but his decision to remain at Louisiana State isn't shocking. The Southeastern Conference school is the more attractive program, if winning a national championship is the goal. The Tigers played for the title after the 2003 season and face Ohio State on Jan. 7 in New Orleans to decide this season's champion.

Schiano is a different story. The 41-year-old Rutgers coach reportedly spoke with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Wednesday in New York but decided not to pursue the job.

"I was contacted earlier this week about the Michigan coaching vacancy, but I have decided to remove my name from consideration," Schiano said yesterday in a statement released by Rutgers.

Remain at Rutgers instead of moving to Michigan? Granted, Schiano also waved off an opportunity after last season to coach at the University of Miami, so it's possible that Rutgers has a stronghold on his heart.

Still, it's at least surprising that Michigan must turn to what would appear to be its third choice -- at least -- to find its next coach.

What's going on here? First, Notre Dame struggles to snag the pick of the litter before making a snap -- some would say desperate -- decision to hire Charlie Weis. Then Alabama gets turned down by Steve Spurrier and Rich Rodriguez before landing Nick Saban.

Now Michigan. Before Ohio State fans laugh too much at the situation, don't forget that the Buckeyes were hot on Oregon coach Mike Bellotti before he removed himself from consideration. Jim Tressel was only happy to walk through the door that Bellotti left open.

It could be that coaches are bypassing some of the traditional football factories because of the pressure to meet unreasonable expectations. Schiano is 37-46 in seven seasons at Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights are 7-5 this season, a record that might work in New Jersey but wouldn't go over well in Ann Arbor.

More likely, the shift toward parity in college football allows a coach such as Schiano to think he has a realistic chance of reaching a Bowl Championship Series game, if not the national championship game, as easily as he would at Michigan. And with only half the pressure.

Rutgers is located in fertile recruiting territory -- the main campus in New Brunswick sits between New York and Philadelphia -- so Schiano can stay relatively close to home and be welcomed there even if he doesn't win the Big East.

Another possibility is that Michigan, like Notre Dame and Alabama, is not the draw it once was, not necessarily because of anything it did but because "name" programs don't hold the cachet they once did. The proliferation of 24/7 media coverage has made Eugene, Ore., as accessible as Ann Arbor to impressionable high school players. Michigan must recruit nationally, so any reduction to its mystique makes the job that much more difficult.

Ohio State, by comparison, has enough talent in-state to keep rolling along. The Buckeyes also have Tressel, proof that an excellent coach can make a difference in keeping a traditional power on top.

Michigan faces a dilemma. It must hire a coach who will take the program back to the top, but so far it appears the coaches it desires don't consider it any better of a program than their current place of employment.

Stay tuned.

I heard somebody on ESPN Radio( a writer) say he stayed because he thought Rutgers was on the verge of becoming a top football power and he wanted to be part of that from the beginning. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about but he did get on a national radio show to say it. There has to be some appeal in being their Woody Hayes, I don't see that Rutgers is that close.

I also heard somebody from the Big Ten Network say he didn't think Les Miles was out of the equation yet. He's an announcer and former coach who had sources from both Miles and Michigan. He says contracts can be bought out. Usually brand new contracts don't get bought out, though. He said if LSU wins, how can they be mad at him there, having just won them a NC. Doesn't make sense to me. You can hear a lot of stuff if you're stuck moving snow for a couple hours.:)

That somebody wouldn't have been Gerry Dinardo would it? If so, just have a good laugh and move on to another topic. :rolleyes:

I can't believe the amount of talk about Michigan having "egg on their face" because of this coaching search. What a joke. I would rather Martin take his time and find the right coach, than make a rushed choice that is wrong for the program. Pete Carroll was USC's fourth choice, Tressel was Ohio States second choice, and we all know how that has worked out for those programs. As for Les Miles coming to Michigan - well that would leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I'd get over it eventually.

I remember how people freaked out when tOSU hired Tressel. "He's not an alum? He's from I-aa, how can he run a real program blah, blah, blah.

It'll all work out, let's just hope he's really successful against everyone but tOSU, just like Carr.

I remember how people freaked out when tOSU hired Tressel. "He's not an alum? He's from I-aa, how can he run a real program blah, blah, blah.

It'll all work out, let's just hope he's really successful against everyone but tOSU, just like Carr.

Don't forget Coach Tressel was an assistant for tOSU before going to YSU and then back to Columbus.

I'm surprised that the article didn't mention that tOSU wanted Glen Mason 1st,
personally, I never was a Glen Mason guy, glad he stayed where he was , back then.

Jimbo

From reading the reports and if you believe them, Les Miles only passed on coming to Michigan because the AD never called his agent back. If Martin returns the phone call, then Miles is the coach at Michigan and there is no second or third choice.

LMAO!!!!!:haha:haha:haha

YEAH, here is a step in the right direction!

POSTED 8:33 p.m. EST, December 9, 2007

WOLVERINES EYEBALLING CAMERON?

With Saints coach Sean Payton not interested in becoming the next head coach at the University of Michigan, there's talk in league circles that Athletic Director Bill Martin wants to pursue Dolphins coach Cam Cameron, if Cameron is fired. Per one league insider, Martin believes that Cameron's 0-13 (and counting) performance in his first year as an NFL head coach is an aberration.
Cameron was an assistant coach at Michigan from 1984 through 1993, and he was the head coach at Indiana. The program is looking for an offensive guru to lead the team after the retirement of Lloyd Carr. But the pitiful performance of the Dolphins under Cameron apparently is making the former Chargers offensive coordinator a hard sell to alumni and boosters.
As we understand the scuttlebutt, Cameron prefers the NFL, and would be interested only if fired by the Fins. The possibility that Cameron would land on his feet (and that his buyout would be reduced by his salary at Michigan) could make Miami owner Wayne Huizenga even more likely to make a change after only one season.

ProFootballTalk.com -- The Best Pro Football Scoop on the Internet

Michigan contacted LSU coach Les Miles last week
LSU coach has phone discussion with university's president, athletic director

December 11, 2007

BY MARK SNYDER

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Louisiana State coach Les Miles appears to be a Michigan coaching candidate again.

Miles had a phone conversation Friday morning with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and school president Mary Sue Coleman, according to several people with knowledge of the call.

Michigan received permission Nov. 28 from LSU athletic director Skip Bertman to speak with Miles, as long as it was after the Dec. 1 SEC championship game. So asking LSU again for permission was not an issue; U-M is believed to have initiated Friday's call.

Bertman said Monday night he didn't know if Miles had had contact with Michigan. But he said he doubted anyone could sway Miles to leave LSU.

"He and Bo Schembechler were real close," Bertman said. "If Bo Schembechler were alive, I doubt he could have got him to go to Michigan. It's hard for people who don't live in the South to understand."

Miles played and coached under Schembechler at Michigan.

While the call between the two sides did not identify Miles as the leading candidate for the coaching vacancy, it did give them a chance to interact formally for the first time and to discuss a number of issues previously handled through intermediaries.

"We're not going to be discussing anything about recruiting (a new coach) until after the announcement is made," Coleman's spokesperson, Kelly Cunningham, said Monday.

U-M COACHING SEARCH: Michigan contacted LSU coach Les Miles last week

I don't think Michigan is desperate enough to hire Cameron. I think Miles is still a possibility. He has to want to return to Michigan. Big deal that he signed a contract. Petrino has signed three contracts in the last 18 months. It may be that Michigan is just dragging this out to see if he can beat Ohio State. If he can, they still want him. If he can't then they never did.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)