Grey bars not Grey and color don't seem right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2extreme

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hey everyone...First time posting in this forum but I'm having issues with my HDTV which is under warranty yet but am having problems getting someone to look at it.

It is an Hitachi 57XWX20B and lately have been noticing it over saturating colors. What I mean is sometimes when I am watching something everthing seems to either look very red or sometimes very green or very yellow. Yet other times things look good. I notice this more when watching SD channels over HD channels.

I also noticed that when I go to PIP or 4:3 with the "grey bars" that these bars are NOT grey, they tend to be a yellow/brownish color and tend to change with whatever is shown on the tv. When I got the tv about 1 1/2 years ago they were grey and the picture was to die for. I am upset at this now and would like to have any imput anyone may have!

As I said, I am trying to get service on it and talked with the service company over the phone that is supposed to look at it and got the run around, telling me that color etc is subjective and that they don't know when they can send someone because their highly qualified techs are booked full now and they dont want to send someone that isn't very qualified for a color problem...

Thanks again, any input would be greatly appreciated and may help me get this problem solved!!

BTW...I have dishnetwork with the setup in my signature...there wouldn't be anything their equip did to mess with my picture right?? Thanks...

charper1 said:
Hire a qualified tech to come calibrate it.

All fine and dandy...but as I stated, it is under warranty and only 1 1/2 years old. I have a 5yr warranty on it. They should come and fix it at NO CHARGE. Or am I crazy to think that is what a warranty is for?

Do you think what I described is just a calibration problem? Just trying to get some input!

Thanks for the response

If they are claiming its just miss calibrated color or other user setting then you will have to take matters into your own hands and get a professional calibration. If the tech finds a manufacturing problem or something else damaged during that process, then get that documented and call the warranty company back with that proof.

Well that would just suck. No one ever came to look at it though. The Hitachi authorized service company told me that over the phone. I bought the tv from Rex and they authorized them to come look at it (my warranty is through Rex).

So shouldn't they at least come look at it first? And wouldn't they be able to do this professional calibration?

charper1, i see you have a Hitachi also, does yours have the "Magic Focus" on it? I have done that...isn't that like calibrating? I have never owned a tv like this so that's why I am trying to get info.

Thanks again!

wouldn't they be able to do this professional calibration

nope. No gear and no training.

Basically, if it turns on and displays an image, they will consider their job completed.

Regards

Gregg

Gregg Loewen said:
nope. No gear and no training.
Basically, if it turns on and displays an image, they will consider their job completed.
Regards
Gregg

Sounds typical which is bs...When someone pays the money for something nice and expects it to work well and under warranty it should be fixed and work the same as the day it was purchased.

I appreciate all the input thus far. Guess I will just have to keep bitching until it gets fixed or get a new tv out of the deal. I don't feel I should have to pay a dime to have somthing fixed when it has a warranty.

Thanks again...

Also...who does professional calibrations?

Last edited:
I do not use any of the auto button deals.

I have had all my displays calibrated. I also say you should always have your displays calibrated, except for maybe the kids, kitchen or garage TVs and it should be included in any budget when buying one.

Calibration is NOT the same as repairing a defect , so it is not a warranty item. displays are NOT perfect out of the box and should be setup.

Although I am not sold on why they wont at least come look to satisfy you, I do agree with the above that they won't really be able to help much and you will more than likely be MORE pissed so call the certified tech.

With investments like these, proper care and setup are essential. Bitching to someone about something that they aren't trained to deal with is pointless. If the REAL tech finds something, THEN the warranty comes into play.

Last edited:
dougruss said:
See your using the DVI Connection on the 811............have you tried using a different connection out of your 811?

I use my 510 on this tv also and have the same problems. Actually it seems to be worse with the 510 and I'm using RCA with it. But to answer your question...Yes I used to use component video with it and I don't recall if these problems were like that then or not...I've been trying to get this resolved for quite a while... Thanks for the post!

charper1 said:
I do not use any of the auto button deals.

I have had all my displays calibrated. I also say you should always have your displays calibrated, except for maybe the kids, kitchen or garage TVs and it should be included in any budget when buying one.

Calibration is NOT the same as repairing a defect , so it is not a warranty item. displays are NOT perfect out of the box and should be setup.

Ok charper1...I see you edited your post, I just noticed that. I guess I never was aware of haveing it professionally calibrated, it never crossed my mind. Who then professionally calibrates these tv's? The service people are certified Hitachi service techs so wouldn't they be able too? Guess I am just a little confused now...I JUST WANT A WORKING NICE PICTURE TV THAT I HAD WHEN IT WAS PURCHASED!!! Sorry for the caps...I was yelling in my head when I typed that :D . Not too much to ask is it...haha.. Thanks for the help!

charper1 said:
Although I am not sold on why they wont at least come look to satisfy you, I do agree with the above that they won't really be able to help much and you will more than likely be MORE pissed so call the certified tech.

That is a damn good question...that's why I continue to bitch because I just want them to satisify me that way first!! I've never had problems like this before...Then again this is my first tv of this kind, but I was under the impression that Hitachi was one of the best out there if not the best... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts