Grill It

Now that the weather's nice up hear in NE Ohio, it's about time I get out and grill some more. Happy Spring/Summer to all!

Without further adu, I resurrect this favorite thread from a year ago for all of us to share our grilling experiences and recipes...

:hungry:

Last edited:
Grilled BBQ Chicken and Corn on the Cob

Grill: Weber Genesis Gasser

Food: Grilled BBQ Chicken & Grilled Corn-on-the-Cob

Backround: I bought a whole cut-up chicken fryer pack from the grocer for about $6. The pack included 2 huge breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs and 2 wings. It was enough meat to feed 4-5. I also went to the local outdoor farmers market to pick up some fresh corn on the cob. Still not in prime season, but with temps here at 86°F, I had a craving.

Prep: Seasoned the chicken with a basic seasoning along with salt and pepper. Prepared the grill for an indirect-medium heat. Placed the chicken, skin side up over the unlit burner and left alone for 30 minutes (no flipping!). For the final 10 minutes, I BBQ sauced them and pulled them 10 minutes later.

For the corn, I soaked the whole cob (husk and all) in a salt water bath for about 30 minutes. I then pulled the silks off and peeled the husks back without tearing them off. Buttered and seasoned the corn then sealed the husks back up. I tore a long skinny piece of husk off and used it to tie the top together nice and tightly. The corn took about 25 minutes on the grill over direct medium heat, turning about 4-6 times throughout the process.

Result: Amazing tenderness from the chicken. The indirect cooking method works wonders for chicken. Often times poultry is a tricky meat to cook. Too rare and it could be dangerous, too well and it could be very dry. Cooking over an indirect medium at the proper amount of time yields great results!

The corn turned out excellent as well. By steaming the corn on the grill, the husks give off a unique smoky flavor to the corn not capable of if cooking the alternative way of boiling. Buttering and seasoning ahead of time also works well. The corn didn't need any additional after I pulled the husks and ate.

Pictures: Sorry about the tease. I didn't get around to capturing this meal with pictures. The meal came out so well though that I will definitely be making it again soon, so I will make sure to capture the next meal....

I have been a grilling fool lately. I made some skewered meat balls with potatoes and whole mushrooms this past week end. They turned out awsome. I'll start taking some pics. Weather and the boys baseball schedule got down in the past few days though. Supposed to raining on and off all week.

I have been a grilling fool lately. I made some skewered meat balls with potatoes and whole mushrooms this past week end. They turned out awsome. I'll start taking some pics. Weather and the boys baseball schedule got down in the past few days though. Supposed to raining on and off all week.

Stimpson, it's been a long winter! Thank God grill season is here again! :hungry:

How's that Performer holding up for you?

Bonless Ribeye with a Coffee Spice Rub

Coffee Rub:

• 1/4 cup ancho chili powder
  • 1/4 cup finely ground espresso
  • 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder
  • 2 bone-in or boneless rib-eye steaks, 2-inches thick, approximately 1 1/2 pounds each
  • Canola or olive oil
  • Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
Directions:

Make sure to leave the meat out to reach room temperture before cooking.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Preheat a cast iron pan over high heat. Brush each side of the steak with oil and then season each side liberally with salt and pepper. Rub 2 tablespoons of the coffee rub onto 1 side of each steak. Cook the steak, rub side down until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the steak over, cook for 2 minutes and then transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven to medium-rare doneness, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

Thoughts:

If I do this next time, I will use a lot less of the rub. This stuff is very potent. It also burns easily.

Judging by my pictures, you'd think my steak turned out well done, but it was indeed a perfect medium rare inside.

To this day though, my favorite Rib Eye recipe is still the simple pan seared version by Alton Brown. He only uses salt and pepper to season. That recipe is found here... Pan Seared Rib Eye Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Pictures:

Notice my lovely Weber Genesis natural gas grill with side burner in use. (I'm so proud of this wonderful toy :)).

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 213
Man, you throwin down some good lookin grub HD. Here are some chicken breasts. I rubbed my two with Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom, and the wifes with Emerils Chicken rub. Grilled some butter and garlic buns. The beans and slaw are store bought. Pretty good eats.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 220
Man, you throwin down some good lookin grub HD. Here are some chicken breasts. I rubbed my two with Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom, and the wifes with Emerils Chicken rub. Grilled some butter and garlic buns. The beans and slaw are store bought. Pretty good eats.

Oh man that chicken looks good. Noticed your using indirect heat which IMO works awesome for chicken.

Brined & Grilled Center Cut Pork Chops w/ Pierogi's

Trader Joe's had Pork Chops (Center-cut and Frenched) on sale at $5.99/lb. These were some hearty steaks as they were nearly 1" thick and a little less than a pound each. Amazing deal.

Directions:

• I brined them in a salt water, brown sugar, coriander and apple cider vinegar bath overnight.
  • I pulled them from the fridge and seasoned both sides with a Bavarian Seasoning and let come to room temperture for 30 minutes before grilling.
  • Next, I heated the grill to high.
  • Seared both sides over direct high heat for about 6 minutes (3 minutes per side).
  • Then, I turned the middle burner completely off and the others to medium for an indirect-medium temperture.
  • The steaks grilled for another 4-6 minutes until the juices ran clear.
  • As always, let sit for 2 minutes before slicing.
As a side, I grilled some pierogi's and vidalia onions in butter and paprika.

See attached pics. This pork turned out extremely moist and so juicy I had to keep a napkin nearby just to contain myself. Pork cooked just right is absolutely heavenly!......

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 181
Trader Joe's had Pork Chops (Center-cut and Frenched) on sale at $5.99/lb. These were some hearty steaks as they were nearly 1" thick and a little less than a pound each. Amazing deal.

Directions:

• I brined them in a salt water, brown sugar, coriander and apple cider vinegar bath overnight.
  • I pulled them from the fridge and seasoned both sides with a Bavarian Seasoning and let come to room temperture for 30 minutes before grilling.
  • Next, I heated the grill to high.
  • Seared both sides over direct high heat for about 6 minutes (3 minutes per side).
  • Then, I turned the middle burner completely off and the others to medium for an indirect-medium temperture.
  • The steaks grilled for another 4-6 minutes until the juices ran clear.
  • As always, let sit for 2 minutes before slicing.
As a side, I grilled some pierogi's and vidalia onions in butter and paprika.

See attached pics. This pork turned out extremely moist and so juicy I had to keep a napkin nearby just to contain myself. Pork cooked just right is absolutely heavenly!......

Oh man. That looks awsome. How did you grill the pierogi's and onions?

Oh man. That looks awsome. How did you grill the pierogi's and onions?

The pierogi's were fresh, not frozen & stuffed with cheese and potato. I chopped the onions and sauted them in a pan with butter until almost translucent. Then, I added the pierogi's to the butter/onions and sprinkled with Papkira and cooked until they were a nice golden brown.

Very simple 1" strip steaks tonight. No special marinade...just a little salt, pepper, and finely chopped garlic. Grilled corn on the cob to go with it.....

I love the summer. Get to spend all day outdoors and top it off by grilling at night.

Very simple 1" strip steaks tonight. No special marinade...just a little salt, pepper, and finely chopped garlic. Grilled corn on the cob to go with it.....

I love the summer. Get to spend all day outdoors and top it off by grilling at night.

You said it. Couldn't do any outdoor activities here today. Rain yet again. Even rained out the Coke 600. Crap!!!!!!!!

Just brats and cob corn tonight. Feeling lazy and I am working up the nerve to start my first smoke on the WSM and my first smoke in 15 years.

I use both a gas grill (for burgers & steaks & dogs, and a weber kettle charcoal grill I turn into a smoker with hickory chips to cook pork loins, whole chickens and beef roasts. Yum.

Just brats and cob corn tonight. Feeling lazy and I am working up the nerve to start my first smoke on the WSM and my first smoke in 15 years.

Jump right in. You'll be fine. Just so you know, most first cooks on a new WSM will run a little hot. The inside is still all shiney and reflective, so you may have to chase the temps for a little while. After it gets a little gunked up, it's rock solid. Good luck and keep us posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)