Grill It

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Jump right in. You'll be fine. Just so you know, most first cooks on a new WSM will run a little hot. The inside is still all shiney and reflective, so you may have to chase the temps for a little while. After it gets a little gunked up, it's rock solid. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yep Good advice. My neighbor came over yesterday with questions on my WSM. He has this old off-brand smoker that he fusses with and he tried another pork butt yesterday. I saw him out there every other hour adding fuel and working the dampers. What a nightmare! LOL!

Anyways, he asked me about the Weber Smokey Mountain, the price and all the in's and outs. I think he's finally convinced that he should upgrade to the trusty Weber. :)

4 huge slabs of the finest pork spare ribs I could find at Eastern Market, on the grill this afternoon. All my children (except my oldest daughter :() and their respective others here to feast with Cheryl and I this fine holiday!

4 huge slabs of the finest pork spare ribs I could find at Eastern Market, on the grill this afternoon. All my children (except my oldest daughter :() and their respective others here to feast with Cheryl and I this fine holiday!

Welcome to the club Paul! And enjoy the good eats on this holiday!

My highest respects to all current and former armed forces members, as well as the ones no longer with us. May God bless you all and thank you for your service!

Welcome to the club Paul! And enjoy the good eats on this holiday!

My highest respects to all current and former armed forces members, as well as the ones no longer with us. May God bless you all and thank you for your service!

Always been lurking here, you guys know how to smoke and grill. I want to get into smoking meat (going to try to quit smoking cigarettes), but I can't afford the start-up equipment. I'm a good chef (at least my family thinks so!), but I can't compete with what you guys do. You guys are in a whole different league from my simple season and grill technique! I've learned a lot here!

My thoughts go out to all of the members here whom have lost family members in service of our great country. My family thanks them for their sacrifice.

Always been lurking here, you guys know how to smoke and grill. I want to get into smoking meat (going to try to quit smoking cigarettes), but I can't afford the start-up equipment. I'm a good chef (at least my family thinks so!), but I can't compete with what you guys do. You guys are in a whole different league from my simple season and grill technique! I've learned a lot here!

My thoughts go out to all of the members here whom have lost family members in service of our great country. My family thanks them for their sacrifice.

Hey Paul. Thanks from all of the fellow grillers/smokers. I was in the same position, you feel like your in, about 2 or 3 years ago. Didn't really know squat about how to properly grill or especially smoke meat. A little reading and asking questions and I was on my way to an addiction I can't stop. Each time things get better, with the occasional, AWWW CRAP!!!!! It's gonna happen. I hope you are able to get what you need to start up. We will be here for you. ou can count on it. Also, I echo the thanks to those who served that are no longer with us and the fellow members that are still serving today. I will be officially retired on July 4th. God Bless us All!!!

High temp Beef Ribs

Picked up a rack of beef ribs and wanted to try the high heat approach I have read about on another forum. Rubbed them up with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. Put them on the Performer with some Ozark Lump charcoal and a few chunks of Pecan. Left them on for three hours with a temp of 350. Didn't crack the lid the entire cook, and no foil. They turned out awsome. Will be doing this again and again.

Attachments

• Beef Rib 1.jpg
    Beef Rib 1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Beef Rib 2.jpg
    Beef Rib 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Beef Rib 3.jpg
    Beef Rib 3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Beef Rib 4.jpg
    Beef Rib 4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 160
Check Out Those Grill Marks!

Brined & Grilled Pork Chop Loins, Roasted Potatoes and a Fennel and Heirloom Tomato Salad.

All washed down with a Trader Joe's Brand Pilsner called: "Simpler Times". Not bad at all for $5 a 6 pack!

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 138
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 230
Picked up a rack of beef ribs and wanted to try the high heat approach I have read about on another forum. Rubbed them up with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. Put them on the Performer with some Ozark Lump charcoal and a few chunks of Pecan. Left them on for three hours with a temp of 350. Didn't crack the lid the entire cook, and no foil. They turned out awsome. Will be doing this again and again.

They look great. Were they tough? It seems like 350 degrees for 3 hours would turn them into jerky?

Brined & Grilled Pork Chop Loins, Roasted Potatoes and a Fennel and Heirloom Tomato Salad.

All washed down with a Trader Joe's Brand Pilsner called: "Simpler Times". Not bad at all for $5 a 6 pack!

Bobby Flay would be proud of the grill marks. :) Do you have a recipe for the brine?

Bobby Flay would be proud of the grill marks. :) Do you have a recipe for the brine?

Sure. This brine recipe is good for 4 chops. Half if only doing 2.

• 8 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cups kosher salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
  • 6 cloves fresh garlic, cut in 1/2
Add all of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Once the brine has cooled completely, add the chops and allow to soak for at least 6 but no more than 12 hours. Remove chops from brine and allow to come to room temperture for 30 minutes before grilling.

Heat grill to high. Sear both sides over direct heat for about 6 minutes (3 minutes per side. Then, turn the middle burner completely off and turn the others to medium for an indirect-medium cook. Grill the steaks another 4-6 minutes until the juices run clear. Allow to rest for 2 minutes before slicing. Have a napkin handy. These suckers are juicy!

Excellent looking!!!!!!!!! My co workers are looking over my shoulder and they are making some scary growls and slurps. :p

They look great. Were they tough? It seems like 350 degrees for 3 hours would turn them into jerky?

I never would have thought of doing a high heat for ribs, but a fellow poster over at the The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast site does them, and his always looked great. They were very tender and juicy. I won't say they were better than low and slow, but if I get the urge for some quick ribs on a week night, it's good to know I can have them with out staying up till 10 or 11 pm.

attachment.php

I think I'm going to have to take a short vacation to OH. Never did finish seeing that aviation museum.... ;)

3/4" chops?

I think I'm going to have to take a short vacation to OH. Never did finish seeing that aviation museum.... ;)

3/4" chops?

Looks and tasted even better in person Navy! :)

And yes, I would say they were about 3/4" thick. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They sell them for a pretty reasonable price there.

Yep. Trader Joe's are here. Good luck trying to get their advertised specials, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)