Guide Constantly Says Regular Schedule

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sandman989

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Michigan
About a week ago, I started getting the Missing Guide Info pop-up messages and my guide data went to Regular Schedule. I've gotten these messages in the past, they seem to come and go for a couple weeks at a time. This is the first time, though, that it has really messed up my guide data. When I do a reset, either red button or unplug, the listings will come back, but only for about 5 minutes or so before it all reverts back to regular schedule. Nothing about my setup has changed and on an HR22 receiver, all my signal strengths are in the 80's or 90's on both tuners, except on 119, which I have never been able to hit at my location. Is there anything I haven't tried yet that might get me back on track?

About a week ago, I started getting the Missing Guide Info pop-up messages and my guide data went to Regular Schedule. I've gotten these messages in the past, they seem to come and go for a couple weeks at a time. This is the first time, though, that it has really messed up my guide data. When I do a reset, either red button or unplug, the listings will come back, but only for about 5 minutes or so before it all reverts back to regular schedule. Nothing about my setup has changed and on an HR22 receiver, all my signal strengths are in the 80's or 90's on both tuners, except on 119, which I have never been able to hit at my location. Is there anything I haven't tried yet that might get me back on track?

Yes, where in Michigan are you, whats the SS for your Locals networks ?

IF your in a market that requires the 119 Sat for your locals (possibly SD) the 119 is used fo9r the Guide data ... why it just started , I'm not sure.

what is used on the satellite setup? You can always change it to Slimline 3 (or SWM3) which makes the receiver "think" you only have 99/101/103 which then the guide comes off of 101

No, that won't work. The Slimline 3 LNB is different electrically from the Slimline 5. If you have a slimline 5, the 119 signals come to the receiver with the 103 signals (it's the DirecTV stack plan) which means that when you tune a channel on 103, it is expecting guide data from 119 - the Slimline 3 LNB "fakes out" the 119 signal for the guide by putting the 101 guide data onto the 103 signals. If you just tell the receiver its a slimline 3 when it is really a slimline 5, you don't get any guide data when you are tuned to a 103 channel. This idea that you can solve the 119 issue by setting the dish type on the receiver to slimline 3 when you have a slimline 5 is an installer "urban legend". Telling the receiver you have a slimline 3 when it is really a slimline 5 does not work.

There are only two ways to solve this problem.
Install a slimline 3 LNB.
Go to SWM, either with an SWM LNB or by connecting the dish via four cables to an SWM 8 multiswitch (with of course the necessary power inserter) . That works because the guide data has its own SWM channel and the SWM system (either an LNB or an SWM multiswitch) always uses the 101 guide data, it never needs 119.

Why is it that D* doesn't just use the 101 for the guide all the way around in the first place ?
It did that originally ...

The guide was on 101 only when there was SD, and they did not have the problems of so many satellites. With all the HD sats, they had to stack sat signals together, but there was not enough frequency band room to put all the sats on the same cables. The stack plan for HD is:
101 signals come on the same cable(s) as 99
103, 110 and 119 signals come on the same cables.

If you look at a DirecTV multiswitch (WB68/616 or SWM8/16) you will see the inputs marked with these sat designations.

That means when you are tuned to a 103 channel, there are no 101 signals on the cables from the dish, so no 101 guide. DirecTV duplicated the guide data on 119 so when you were tuned to a 103, 110 or 119 channel, you got guide data.

When DirecTV decided to build a 3-LNB Slimline LNB, they were faced with a problem. They could not really change the stack plan because there are millions of receivers out there using the signals the way they were. So somebody came up with the clever idea of making the 3 LNB slimline take the 101 guide data and put it on the cables with the 103 signals, so the receiver would think it was coming from 119 even though there were no 119 signals.

When the SWM system came along, the sats are not stacked any more to the receiver, the SWM system gets the correct transponders and puts them in the eight available SWM slots (that's why the limit of eight tuners). The guide data has its own SWM channel and the data always comes from 101.

But that's why you can't just tell a receiver it is connected to a (non-SWM) 3LNB dish when the dish is really 5 LNB. On a 103 channel, the receiver is still expecting the guide data from 119 on the same cables as 103, and it's not there. A real 3LNB, or an SWM system, solves that.

The guide was on 101 only when there was SD, and they did not have the problems of so many satellites. With all the HD sats, they had to stack sat signals together, but there was not enough frequency band room to put all the sats on the same cables. The stack plan for HD is:
101 signals come on the same cable(s) as 99
103, 110 and 119 signals come on the same cables.

If you look at a DirecTV multiswitch (WB68/616 or SWM8/16) you will see the inputs marked with these sat designations.

That means when you are tuned to a 103 channel, there are no 101 signals on the cables from the dish, so no 101 guide. DirecTV duplicated the guide data on 119 so when you were tuned to a 103, 110 or 119 channel, you got guide data.

When DirecTV decided to build a 3-LNB Slimline LNB, they were faced with a problem. They could not really change the stack plan because there are millions of receivers out there using the signals the way they were. So somebody came up with the clever idea of making the 3 LNB slimline take the 101 guide data and put it on the cables with the 103 signals, so the receiver would think it was coming from 119 even though there were no 119 signals.

When the SWM system came along, the sats are not stacked any more to the receiver, the SWM system gets the correct transponders and puts them in the eight available SWM slots (that's why the limit of eight tuners). The guide data has its own SWM channel and the data always comes from 101.

But that's why you can't just tell a receiver it is connected to a (non-SWM) 3LNB dish when the dish is really 5 LNB. On a 103 channel, the receiver is still expecting the guide data from 119 on the same cables as 103, and it's not there. A real 3LNB, or an SWM system, solves that.

Wow,
What a mass of confusion ...

Thanks for the explanation :)

I have my locals from Grand Rapids, MI. There are two SD only ones on 119 (WXSP and WLLA). I've had this setup for almost 3 years now without ever hitting the 119 satellite, so I don't know why that would cause guide problems now. For the heck of it, I tried the switch to a Slimline 3 setup, and that's been working for about the last 24 hours. I've got guide data on all the channels in my favorites list, so I'm just going to roll with this configuration for now.

I have my locals from Grand Rapids, MI. There are two SD only ones on 119 (WXSP and WLLA). I've had this setup for almost 3 years now without ever hitting the 119 satellite, so I don't know why that would cause guide problems now. For the heck of it, I tried the switch to a Slimline 3 setup, and that's been working for about the last 24 hours. I've got guide data on all the channels in my favorites list, so I'm just going to roll with this configuration for now.
You have just been lucky. If you tune to 101 or 99 channels often enough, the problem won't occur. It only happens when you are tuned to a 103 signal for a while.

I have been dealing with this for a long time, resetting and waiting kinda sucks, the only way around this other the getting a better signal by re-pointing dish which might not be possible..remember this is sometimes only temporary fix but usually works for a long time is to change transponders under MENU>Settings>Satellite and choose View signal strength. I usually just flip through until I get the highest strength on all available satellites. Hope this helps!!

You're responding to a one-year old thread, so I doubt the op will see the reply. But welcome to satguys anyway!
Anyway what you are suggesting has no effect at all, you can't "change transponders" using the signal strength screens. The basic problem is using a slimline 5 without line of sight to the 119 satellite. There are ways to fix this - replace the LNB at the dish with an SL3 LNB, or use an SWM system. If you want to know more, just post back.

Well, I got notification of a post from jam3s telling me I was completely wrong. But the post seems to have disappeared (!!). Sorry jam3s, I was COMPLETELY CORRECT. You seem to have missed that we are talking about NON-SWM LNBs. You can't tell a receiver connected to an SL5 (non-SWM) that it is connected to an SL3 (non-SWM) and expect to solve this problem. The SL3 and SL5 are electrically different - the DirecTV stack plan puts the 99 and 101 signals on one pair of cables, and the 103/110/119 signals on another pair of cables. That means the guide is carried with the 119 signals when the receiver is tuned to 103/119. Because the SL3 can't see 119, it "fakes out" the 119 guide data by taking the 101 guide data and putting it on the cables carrying 103. If you tell the receiver it is connected to an SL3, it still looks for the guide data along with 103, when it is tuned to a 103 channel, but if it's actually an SL5, there is NO guide data with the 103 signals. So if you are tuned to a channel from 103 for a while, the receiver is not getting guide data and eventually you get the error message.
I am NOT speculating, this is exactly how it works.
If you use an SWM LNB, then the guide data always comes from 101 and so the problem does not exist. Which is what I said in my post.

I think jam3s must have realised he was wrong and removed his post....but of course those of us subscribed to the thread will all have seen it....

I think jam3s must have realised he was wrong and removed his post....but of course those of us subscribed to the thread will all have seen it....

No, I realized the age of the thread and removed it. I do a few SWM-3 configured SWM-5s every month and they work perfectly well for quite a long time. There is no difference in the electronics of either configuration (or we'd have different modules/multiswitches to match the LNBs). It's just a matter of tricking the IRD and sometimes an OLI in RIO to make it work properly.

Well you missed the point of the post. It specifically addressed the non-SWM versions of the Slimlines where the electronics in the SL5 and SL3 ARE different. My posts explain why, and why you can't tell an SL5-connected receiver that it is connected to an SL-3.

I don't think this is still the case with non-SWM setups, however I'm going to keep an open mind about it and accept it as true until I can prove it differently.

Yes, istill the case - to change it they would have to redesign and replace all the non-SWM LNBs that are installed.

Well, I got notification of a post from jam3s telling me I was completely wrong. But the post seems to have disappeared (!!). Sorry jam3s, I was COMPLETELY CORRECT. You seem to have missed that we are talking about NON-SWM LNBs. You can't tell a receiver connected to an SL5 (non-SWM) that it is connected to an SL3 (non-SWM) and expect to solve this problem. The SL3 and SL5 are electrically different - the DirecTV stack plan puts the 99 and 101 signals on one pair of cables, and the 103/110/119 signals on another pair of cables. That means the guide is carried with the 119 signals when the receiver is tuned to 103/119. Because the SL3 can't see 119, it "fakes out" the 119 guide data by taking the 101 guide data and putting it on the cables carrying 103. If you tell the receiver it is connected to an SL3, it still looks for the guide data along with 103, when it is tuned to a 103 channel, but if it's actually an SL5, there is NO guide data with the 103 signals. So if you are tuned to a channel from 103 for a while, the receiver is not getting guide data and eventually you get the error message.
I am NOT speculating, this is exactly how it works.
If you use an SWM LNB, then the guide data always comes from 101 and so the problem does not exist. Which is what I said in my post.
Hey Tex,
Thanks for the explanation ...
I probably won't remember that, but it's good info regardless.

Q.
Seeing all the Dishes have to see the 101 Sat, why don't they have the Guide data on the 101 only, I know its there for the SL3s and SWM, but what was the purpose of moving it to the 119 for the 5 lnb ?

Hey Tex,
Thanks for the explanation ...
I probably won't remember that, but it's good info regardless.

Q.
Seeing all the Dishes have to see the 101 Sat, why don't they have the Guide data on the 101 only, I know its there for the SL3s and SWM, but what was the purpose of moving it to the 119 for the 5 lnb ?

Skip it Tex, you already posted this info on the first page, I just didn't go back that far, seeing how old this is ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)