Guide is not updating on my 942

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I have been having a problem with my 2 /942 receivers not updating. It started with a muti switch problem about 6 days ago. The screen popped up and said on my living room 942 that their is a problem with your multi switch . This was happening on the Voom channels on the 61.5 sat.

I am using a dishpro plus twin and a side satellite dish to 61.5. I ran a switch check and it said no connection on my tunner 1. So I unconnected the satellite cables and replaced the seperator and the diplexor with extra new ones. I ran a switch check without any satellite cables connected and then I swapped the cables and reran the switch check with the sat cable connected and everything came in fine.

But I am not getting any new guide daily at 3:00am like it is set up to do. I have to run a switch check to update the guide now on both of my 942s. The guide is about 6- 7 days, if I don't do a switch check it will not get any more guide . I have no shows scheduled at night at the update time. I tried setting the time for the update for like 15 minutes out and it would say it needed to update and shut down the receiver to do so. It would turn off and then it would come back on to live tv but no updated guide. This is happening on both 942 receivers.

The only time I could force an update was by unplugging the receiver for 15 minutes and then replugging it in and it would update the guide. I turn off both receivers at night ; main 942 in living room is in single mode and the master bedroom is in dual mode.

I called Dish and spoke to the tech department last night and again this morning around 7:00 am. Both techs ran me through the menus , information screen etc, but it wouldn't update. Supposedly the 942 people are supposed to call me and see if they can help in the next 24 - 48 hours.

If I have to keep updating my guide by doing a switch check on both receivers nightly , then I am really going to hate this. It will be like going back to the days when I had to turn off the 921 everynight to make it reboot. :eek:

Same issues for 2 months, plus 5.1 failure this week

My 942 has been plagued by this same prob, but I have legacy LNB's, which is what I've blamed it on. Guess it is LNB independent. They've sent a tech out 5 times now (called 24 times so far), and each time "Larry The Cable Guy" blows off the call remarking that the 942 is new and buggy and in need of software updates (every part excahnged piecemeal, 2 942's, and new cables). Two have laughably recommended this forum, at which point I just sobb. I have to hard-boot several times (usually on weekends) for guide updates due to switching errors. Every time I manually check the signals, it registers 61.5 as 119, etc, starts being accurate after a few transponders. Check switch fails often. Booting over and over is the only remidy, and I stopped calling E* a few weeks ago due to the wasted time going through the same old protocol, regardless of prefacing my complaint with what I've tried. At some point I just couldn't restrain when the patronization/protocol crap began. I know at this point that I understand the hardware's nuances better than the people pulling support. It has gotten somewhat better (once every other week , at best), but still the switching issue pops up and kills my recording of the one show I want to watch each week! Newest issue is that it isn't recording DD 5.1 on shows that it does 5.1 on when watching in real time. Actually DD is flaking out often (Yamaha RX-Z9, ruled out). I actually praised this machine initially, just because it gave me my VOOM-esque programming and had a DVR, but compared to my 1st-gen D* UltimateTV service, this is like beta-testing robots for Sony. Time spent= 10+ hours (conservatively estimated) of wasted time, and still the issues are solved by total alchemy. I'm giving dish another month, and then I'm going to hammer their CS lines with complaints untill they release me from contract. Good luck, and let me know if you gleen any insight.

JBE
Portland. OR

Thanks for your support.

I am only having problems with the guide data updating right now. I guess I could continue to allow the guide to drop down till it is less and less and maybe it will update then. I don't know. I think it is funny that the 522 I have, has all kinds of recording audio/video problems , but it can update the guide by itself with NO PROBLEMS. The 942 has no audio/video problems but I can't get the guide to update without running a switch check .

I doubt that the dish techs will do anything to fix it and I will be stuck with this situation till maybe the next software update. I had no problems with either one of my 942s till last week. I have had the first 942 since late April and my second one came in 3 weeks ago. Both stopped updating at the same time. Weird.

I even went last night and unplugged the dual sat dish to 61.5 and ran a switch check on both 942s and then again with the dual plugged back in and I thought that might jar the receivers to update last night, but no go. They will only update by switch checks. I had no timers last night from 10:00pm till 7:30 this morning so it had nothing to conflict with the updates either.

Until then I guess I can just baby sit the 2 -942s, just like I did the 921 I had before. Maybe I'll just keep doing switch checks each morning to update both of their guides. That is only 5 minutes of my day for each receiver. I sure hope that the new 962 /mpeg4 replacements won't have this problem. :rolleyes:

Yep I am turning them off religiously. I have had Dish since 1/18/97, so I know to turn them off , but it makes no difference, NO GUIDE is updated. I even unplugged them and left them for 15 minutes and replugged them in this moring and it didn't even do a guide update.

A reboot does NOT force an update of the guide. A switch check is the ONLY WAY to get the guide to update now. This is different than a week ago. Something is wrong when the automatic updates do not update daily. It won't even update when I turn it off and turn off the automatic updates. This is a pain in the ass to do daily , just to get guide information updated , and I only get 12 hours more .

Well good news today both 942 receivers updated to 7/13 at 6:30pm. I guess leaving them alone and having the auto updates turned off worked. I am so relieved. As long as I don't get any more multi-switch problems I should be good to go. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts