H-Town Voomers post here (yee haw!)

still haven't gotten the software update :mad: my boxes have issues with the time and the guide popping up and going away by itself. I really want to get this update so these issues get fixed!!

BTW: I got installed on Friday and as of now its Monday. I thought I would definitely get the update on the 2nd day if not the first. It's been 4 days now. :mad:

Do you turn your sat box off at night? Mine was off one of those first nights, but I had awakened in the middle of the night and some yellow lights were visible on the display. When I got up the next day the receiver was back to off (so they must have hit it that night when it was off). Anyway, it couldn't hurt to give 'em a buzz to confirm the process.

I've left them on thinking thats what I needed to do, but tonight I'll turn them off. I also used the "reportback" function to test my phone connection, and that worked fine, so I guess until tomorrow its wait and see.

EDIT: Turned the boxes off last night and bang: software update! Thanks for the help!

Hey guys,

Got my Voom over the weekend. I am not getting PBS (not that I care that much, but it will be good to have it).

8-1 says no signal and 8-15 (!!) is a clone of 999. Any one seen something similar? What is the strength of the ota signal (mine is 19). Is that too low?

antennaweb does list KNWSDT 51-1. I need this badly. I would settle for WGN, something to get my Becker back.

Any ideas on FoodTV, FoxNews, BBC?

TG you are correct. 8-15 for some reason is that Voom ad. But yes, 8-1 is PBS. And remember PBS is VHF. I'm in an apt so I picked up a small RCA UHF/VHF antenna...works fine and I can pick up VHF and the rest of the digital locals (have only been watching CBS and PBS so need to check on 51). I am only about 10 mi from the antennas too. What type of antenna do you have? If you have the Channel Master antenna that came with the service, you should have access to UHF and VHF locals. My OTA signal varies from 50-70. How far are you from the antennas?

I called Voom directly about KNWS, and the CSR put me on hold, then came back with "We are going zip code by zip code and adding all digital local channels that are missing from our guide. A lot of people from Houston have been calling about KNWS. I'll put in a special request for it to get done."

The CSR also told me to put all Voom boxes in standby (hit SAT on the remote) every night so I get the latest download. Apparently they are adding channels night by night as they finish. You won't be able to tell if your box was upgraded like a software version upgrade, but I'll notice when I can finally watch Astros and Rockets games (Like tonight :mad: )!!

Sorry I missed this thread . I have had my Voom since 2/28 and have had to software upgrades....the lastest 5.68...

I have been using a Silver Sensor and I get all the channels that Voom now offers..PBS was the hardest to get but comes in great. I do not get the Astro channel 51 but hope they will upgrade this soon.....I like baseball and it has been very very good to Me.! But I can get channel 51 on the D* so I can watch there until Voom adds it. HD=Voom :)

I didnt know there was a houston thread. but i live off 288 south. pearland.

i had my voom install on 3-12. when the guy came he couldnt get the OTA atenna to work. so after a lot of messing around he found the diplexer was bad. but now i get all the OTA channels and the PG info. Only thing missin is the KNWS channel. its kinda late for that now since the rockets season is over..but astrol would be nice.

Since the diplexer was bad, did the installer run a seperate line for the OTA? If not, and its easy for you, you might want to run a line without a diplex.

I can't decide what I want more: Tivo to work or KNWS in the guide.

Wow PDQ, I didn't think you could pick up VHF stations (ie..PBS) with a Silver Sensor since the antenna is UHF only. That's the reason I didn't get one of those. I got a small RCA UHF/VHF for my apt and it works fine. But I've heard good things about the SS. And yes, PBS is one of the best HD channels out there I think. I definitely wanted to pick it up.

I had INHD & INHD2 with TWC at my last residence. Voom is better than TWC for HD of course, but really hope Voom gets these 2 eventually. They are GREAT channels!

The Rockets face the Lakers tonight on ESPN. Sure wish I could watch it.

I'm kind of tired of posting this kind of stuff. I really need ESPN!!! :mad:

Been Vooming for about a month now, and I like it alot. I got the 2 receiver deal and had 1 hooked up with the stealth ant, and the other hooked up with the ant I had. The stealth picks up CBS and UPN but won't lock on. Not a big deal, I will just run another cable from my ant. PQ IMO is great with a front projector. :rolleyes:

Cool boatman. I've only had it since 4/7, but loving it. PQ was going thru some pains, but now seems to be much better. Love the OTAs too. Viva la Voom!

Has anyone here in Houston noticed that CBS showing black bars on both sides is OFF center about 1 to 2 inches to the left....All other local channels is OK...I have tried to watch it on Voom and D* and the CBS channels always shows that the screen is off center....Anyone have this problem? HD=Voom

yes, this is a CBS problem. I've tested it on multiple tuners on multiple TVs. I use a TV stretch mode to fill the screen when CBS broadcasts 4:3. But stretching is annoying.

I'll call KHOU's engineer to find out why this happens. I'll also ask him how hard it would be to use gray bars instead of black bars to prevent burn-in. My burn-in concern is the reason I stretch the picture.

Thanks Astrosuperfan : I was looking on their web site today but could not find a source to ask....Hope they can fix the problem...also coloured bars would be nice like WB channel 20 ...I don't like stretching also....HD=Voom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)