H10 receiver and Channel 73 (ESPN HD) resolution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pmorali

Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
I have a strange problem with my H10 (connected to TV through ARCAM AVR250 receiver and component video cables). When I tune to channel 73 (ESPN HD), I get a blue screen. The TV does not automatically switch to the 1080i resolution but seem to be stuck (and the resolution light on the H10 receiver is on 720p). I have to manually switch the resolution on the H10 receiver to 1080i to get an image on the TV screen.

What is strange is that I only get this with channel 73. All other HD channels work fine?

Any ideas or suggestions? DirecTV is troubleshouting but has not found the problem yet.

ESPN-HD operates in 720p. Does your TV display 720p or does it convert it? If it displays all HD formats try setting the DirecTV box the NATIVE. If your TV converts you should be able to select the appropriate output format for the DirecTV receiver so it is always correct for your TV.

Thanks for your help. My TV (Mitsubishi Diamond WS-55813) does not support 720p. So I changed the resolution menu to 480i/p & 1080i only (which disbales Native), and got 73 to now work when I tune in.

Seems like the Native mode was slightly better for SDTV though.

Does you box have a setting to force 1080i always? Try that and see what you think. It will stretch the SD programming though and you may not like that.

pmorali said:
Thanks for your help. My TV (Mitsubishi Diamond WS-55813) does not support 720p. So I changed the resolution menu to 480i/p & 1080i only (which disbales Native), and got 73 to now work when I tune in.

Seems like the Native mode was slightly better for SDTV though.

with the H10 you can force 1080i. Just set it to the that...the box will do the conversion and it will look much better if your TV can support 1080i.

Yep, that's what I did, force 1080i on the box. But it stretches SD a little unfortunatelly.

Thanks for your help guys.

Hancox, you should be able to fix the stretching on 480i as well. I am not familiar with the H10, so I don't know the exact setting, but look for a video setting for 'fullscreen' (that is, 480i) signal viewing that sets the receiver to use 'pillar box'. This puts black bars on the left and right of your image for 480i pictures so that they are not stretched (and the setting should have no effect on widescreen signals).

Now you just have to worry about burn-in; if your TV is suceptible to burn-in you might want to set the side bars to display in grey instead of black (another receiver setting that you probably have), or not use the pillar-box setting at all.

Hope that helps,
--Dino

Dino,
Thanks, this is the way I configured my H10. 480i/p & 1080i resolution only, and pillar box with gray side bars when on 480 i/p.

Thanks to all for your help. Much appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)