H20 Guide Blows!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inspect'rGadget

Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Saint Paul
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the program guide on the H20's absolutely sucks. I just got 2 new H20's and if I didn't need em to get HD locals in the Twin Cities, I'd toss them in the trash. What is the deal with having to pick the filter for the guide every time you want to look at it. Thats why they call it "Favorites" D*.

Anyone know if there is a software fix to upgrade the HD300 to MPEG4 capable? Barring that, think D* would redesign the guide if enough of us called, or maybe if we threatened the software engineers with actually having to *USE* the garbage that they designed.

This was done as a software update, its not going anywhere. It makes sence if you use it, I do not use it very often. All you have to do is push the select button 1 extra time to by-pass it. I dont see that as reason enough to throw the h20 away. The software update did the same thing to the SD recievers. I will ask my wife if the TIVO does it now as well.

Inspect'rGadget said:
Anyone know if there is a software fix to upgrade the HD300 to MPEG4 capable?

No; the MPEG4 comes as a result of hardware/chips on the mainboard of the receiver, not via software.

Barring that, think D* would redesign the guide if enough of us called, or maybe if we threatened the software engineers with actually having to *USE* the garbage that they designed.

Constructive feedback would be the better action.

So far for me, the H20 has been the most solid HD D* receiver I've owned. It definitely has it's issues, although I'd consider them all kind of minor as most have work arounds:

- Crashes when scrolling in edit mode for favorites, blocked chans, and caller id (only H20-600?) Workaround: Manually enter the chan # in to scroll down further in the list when editing.

- No stereo sound output on SD channels through optical out if L+R RCAs aren't plugged in. Workaround: Plug RCAs into L+R audio outputs; don't have to be connected at other end.

- Pressing guide brings receiver to a guide "menu" as opposed to right to the guide. Workaround: Press guide twice!

The pressing the guide button twice annoyed me at first too. The RCA receivers in my house did not exhibit this behavior. Perhaps in a software update D* will change it back or at least put in a user configurable setting to determine the functionality of the guide button. Pressing guide twice isn't the end of the world :rolleyes: I find the crashing bugs and the odd "feature" with the optical audio out much more annoying. Hopefully most of these issues will be fixed on the HR20.

If you ever wanted to test out a few rock solid HD units on a second TV were HD locals may not be needed, try the Sony SAT-HD300, LG LSS-3200A, or the Zenith HD-SAT520

I think the H20 is the best and most solid of all Directv's new receivers, that said I think the interface is horrible and the guide filter system should have the option to be disabled...

charper1 said:
Constructive feedback would be the better action.
Did that work with the HR10-250 guide? They really fixed that good, it has Fisher Price speed. They never did anything about it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
yeah having to push the guide button twice is annoying, what is more annoying is the lag in speed it takes for the guide to come up... you press guide twice, and then there is a delay before you see the guide.

Its the the numeric pad drives me nuts on the HDtivo. Its so slow, you have to train yourself not to look at the TV when pressing the numbers. Strange as it might sound I loved the old e86 HIRD reciever for guide speed and button pressing. It was great IMO. It makes getting a snail paced user interface in the HDtivo really surprising.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.