H20 Receiver - Can I receive OTA if I cancel DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gchasse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
I have an H20 model I bought about 10 years ago. I am thinking of cancelling my DirecTV subscription.

I have an HD TV that does not have a tuner built in, so I rely on the receiver to get the HD signal. This receiver also has the ability to receive the OTA signal with an antenna, which I use as I get additional local stations through this.

The question I have is, if I cancel DirecTV, will the tuner still work for the OTA signals?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

should be able to but you need a connection to the satellite.
I had an old H10 that I used for a while like that

I have an H20 model I bought about 10 years ago. I am thinking of cancelling my DirecTV subscription.

I have an HD TV that does not have a tuner built in, so I rely on the receiver to get the HD signal. This receiver also has the ability to receive the OTA signal with an antenna, which I use as I get additional local stations through this.

The question I have is, if I cancel DirecTV, will the tuner still work for the OTA signals?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I don't remember for sure, it's been a long time since I have seen a H20 .... curious, is it a -600, if so call D* and tell them that it's running Hot, they were replacing the -600's awhile back, maybe they'd upgrade you for cheap.

Are you planning to keep the Recvr connected to the D* sat dish (or are you turning OFF your D* all together)
IF you want to play with the set up and try it .... try this, Disconnect the Sat Feed, unplug the recvr, turn it back on and it will search for the Sat signal, get into the menu and try to load your OTA channels ... If it loads, once done, go to them and find out ... If it does work, your good, if not, plug the Sat feed back in and reset and you should be back to where you were. nothing lost, you may have to redo your OTA again.

Not as I remember with the H20. Older DirecTV boxes like the H10 mentioned by iceberg work fine for OTA only

The other thing to add is that all recent TVs have the digital chip installed. There are many OTA antennae that will serve. The AM 21 was / is a patch for older TVs. The capabilities of recent TVs is impressive. Prices are coming down & none require the converter chip (already forgot its name). It is in there.......just connect your antenna, internet feed & stereo system. You can have OTA HD, streaming video feed and shake the walls with your sound system.

Leave your Directv installation intact. They may want your receivers but doubt it. You can come back with a phone call if things get too bleak in the wasteland.

The days of B&W with rabbit ears is gone.

Joe:everybodydance:

The other thing to add is that all recent TVs have the digital chip installed. There are many OTA antennae that will serve. The AM 21 was / is a patch for older TVs. The capabilities of recent TVs is impressive. Prices are coming down & none require the converter chip (already forgot its name). It is in there........connect your antenna, internet feed & stereo system. You can have OYA HD, streaming video feed and shake the walls with your sound system.

Joe

Actually, it's a patch for newer dvrs that don't have ota tuners in them.

The other thing to add is that all recent TVs have the digital chip installed. There are many OTA antennae that will serve. The AM 21 was / is a patch for older TVs. The capabilities of recent TVs is impressive. Prices are coming down & none require the converter chip (already forgot its name). It is in there.......just connect your antenna, internet feed & stereo system. You can have OTA HD, streaming video feed and shake the walls with your sound system.

Joe

If the TV still works fine why junk it?
My dad has an old Panasonic "HDTV Ready" TV....It gets HD but you need a source (cable box, satellite box) to get HD on it

H20 won't work without a sub,H10 will work but it needs to be hooked to the dish.
Now if you can find one ,get a Hughes HTL-HD (old direct hd box),doesn't need a sub or a dish,has a nice front panel display and a good OTA tuner.They also came Sony branded but I can't remember the model #.It will also tune analog signals if you still have any of those in your area,I do.

Thank you all very much for the info. I see the notes that the H20 won't work, but I am going to try and unplug it and reset it without the satellite feed to see if it works just in case. No hurt in trying.

A couple things to note to some who responded. My tv is 10 years old and does not have the tuner built in (Hitachi 51S500) and I own the receiver (I bought one of the last receivers they sold).

I assume based on what I am told that I will not be able to receive the signal, but if I do, I will update this thread.

Actually, it's a patch for newer dvrs that don't have ota tuners in them.

I thought they handed out / sold the AM 21 as all the analog TV stations went digital. I haven't kept up with what they have been putting into DVRs. I gave up when they started pushing installers to show customers how to work the system....even though there could be an instruction manual for both a SD receiver and a DVR. Anyhow, the other side of my idea on the fancy new sets is...with all those components included you have to get the set serviced each time one of the features fails.

There was a time when you could fix a B & W by just shaking all the gum wrappers, puffed oats and dead cowboys and indians out of the bottom of the set. We live in techie times.

Joe:facepalm

Last edited:
If the TV still works fine why junk it?
My dad has an old Panasonic "HDTV Ready" TV....It gets HD but you need a source (cable box, satellite box) to get HD on it

You're right. Folks won't change stuff for two reasons. First, it still works. Second, they know how to work it. Both good reasons. + Scrap mongers are reporting a surplus of glass as the old sets get recycled. Since the cycle ends with the old sets......what to do with the carcass?

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts