H20 Receiver can I record?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I opted for H20 instead of HR20 cause there was significant up front money that I had to pay.. but now I am almost regretting that I didn't get HR20.

Is it possible to record H20 using external device? like hook it up to computer.
I want be able to record some of my favorite shows and watch at later time.

What other folks with H20 are doing to record? if all possible.

Use Vista

If your computer is running Vista (Ultimate edition or Home Premium) and you have a tuner card, you can definitely record. It works wonderfully with the SD channels. A bonus is that you can also save shows to DVD or create WMV files out of them. The problem is that as far as I know, there is no way to watch or record the HD channels on DirecTV. There are some computers sold with CableCard TV tuners, but I think these only work with cable. A long time ago Microsoft announced some sort of partnership with DirecTV under which there would be receiver cards that would permit one to do away with the receiver entirely, but I dont think these have ever eventuated.

How long ago did you sign up? It might be possible to get a free upgrade to an HR20 if you call retention. Search around a little - there are plenty of threads on the topic.

In any case, you're probably not going to get a recording device worth anything for much less than the upgrade fee for an HR20.

You can get an old set-top ReplayTV and that will also allow you to off-load recordings to your PC to edit & burn to DVD. It will not be in HD but you likely will not be burning any HD to disc for a while anyway.

I signed up yesterday. Tech came and performed the install yesterday. But right now I am having installation issue with one of the slimeline dishes and can't get all HD channels I signed up for. It's 5:00 pm and no show as of yet and getting darker.

Last edited:
I signed up yesterday. Tech came and performed the install yesterday. But right now I am having installation issue with one of the slimeline dishes and can't get all HD channels I signed up for. It's 5:00 pm and no show as of yet and getting darker.

Slimeline:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)