H21-100 Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NNelson123

Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
I just upgraded my bedroom TV to a new LG 42LG50 LCD TV and wanted to replace my standard definition D12-100 receiver with a new H21-100 receiver (I wanted another HD DVR but I only had a single wire ran to the room and it's impossible to obtain a SWM box from DirecTV).

Anyway, I went to Best Buy and picked up the new H21-100 receiver. I popped the smart card in, plugged it all in and called DirecTV to activate it. After inputting all the values (5 LNB dish, zipcode, etc.) I was at the "Advanced Program Guide Data" screen where it always gets stuck at 99% complete. I can't get it to go past 99% and even if it sits there for hours, it never goes past 99%. What could be the problem?

I called DirecTV support and they had me reseat the smartcard, reset the box, reactivated it, unplugged it, etc. only to tell me I need to pay $80 to have a technician come diagnose my problem on a brand new receiver and a 3 month old "professional" install (that's another gripe in itself for another post). I am using the B-Band Converter with this installation.

I'm about to return this thing to Best Buy and tell them the $100 for the receiver + $80 to diagnose it isn't worth it for me to get HD to that room. I feel very frustrated with this (seemingly) simple configuration. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, a side note, is DirecTV coming out with a HD DVR that only requires one wire? My cousin made mention of it but the only thing I can find is using the old dual wire setup with a SWM box.

Also, to add to this, the 103 degrees (a) satellite fails when I do the check. DirecTV told me that was fine and I could ignore it since none of my channels here in Ohio come from the 103 degrees satellite. Hopefully they are right in saying that and this isn't causing my problems.

Also, a side note, is DirecTV coming out with a HD DVR that only requires one wire? My cousin made mention of it but the only thing I can find is using the old dual wire setup with a SWM box.
The HR21 will work fine with one line. You'll only be able to utilize one tuner, but it will still operate. We have two bedrooms with DVRs (one being an HR21) that only have one line hooked up to them.

You could always return it to BB and buy it from DirecTV to get the free install. Then they'd get it squared away before they left. You could also get a second line run as part of that install if you wanted.

I appreciate your responses. For what it's worth, I got a little impatient and returned the receiver to Best Buy yesterday afternoon and exchanged it out. The new receiver that I replaced it with works just fine.

I wish I knew the HR21 (or now the HR22 it looks like) would work with one tuner hooked up. I'd have considered it more had I known that but I think I'll stick with the H21 for now and see what's on the horizon for DirecTV for HD DVRs using a single wire.

Thanks again.

Or you can upgrade to SWM technology (costs about $100-$150 if you do-it-yourself) and use the HR21 with just one wire, and still use both tuners.

You can return the H21 for an HR21 to best buy and pay the difference for the duration of their normal return period, generally two weeks. Then just call D* and switch the receiver again, just tell them you changed your mind and got the DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)