H21 700 b band converter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

53jimc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Roebuck, SC
Question, I was setting up one of the new to me H21 700 DVRs and when I get to the satellite set up screen it has a note at the bottom that a b band converter is required. Is that true?

I'm using an older slimline dish (3lnb it only has one eyeball). I'm getting "771 in 2" on the locals and on a bunch of other channels, so I think I need to change from dual to single based on some of the threads I've looked at, so far, but just curious if I need the b band converter.

Thanks,

Jim

53jimc said:
Question, I was setting up one of the new to me H21 700 DVRs and when I get to the satellite set up screen it has a note at the bottom that a b band converter is required. Is that true?

I'm using an older slimline dish (3lnb it only has one eyeball). I'm getting "771 in 2" on the locals and on a bunch of other channels, so I think I need to change from dual to single based on some of the threads I've looked at, so far, but just curious if I need the b band converter.

Thanks,

Jim

You'll need a BBC if its not swm. You'll also need 2 lines running to it too. Both need BBC's. As for searching on tuner 2, you'll still see it until the BBC's are installed.

You'll need a BBC if its not swm. You'll also need 2 lines running to it too. Both need BBC's. As for searching on tuner 2, you'll still see it until the BBC's are installed.

Thanks. I already have the two lines to the receiver, just wasn't sure about the b band converters.
Is this information posted in a sticky somewhere? When trying to search for a solution so many hits come up it's almost impossible to find what you need without going through tons of posts. Of course, I am search challenged.

Is it a H21 (receiver) or HR21 (DVR)?

as for what needs BBC's and what doesnt its really easy
SWM setup (one output on LNB)...no BBC's required and DVR's only need one line
non SWM setup (4 outputs on LNB) BBC's required and 2 lines per DVR...the exception for the BBC's is the 23 (HR23 or H23)...they do not require BBC's

Is it a H21 (receiver) or HR21 (DVR)?

as for what needs BBC's and what doesnt its really easy
SWM setup (one output on LNB)...no BBC's required and DVR's only need one line
non SWM setup (4 outputs on LNB) BBC's required and 2 lines per DVR...the exception for the BBC's is the 23 (HR23 or H23)...they do not require BBC's

Thanks Ice, I really appreciate the clarification.
Yep, I got 2 HR21s from D*. I'm going full hog on DVRs for the house and man cave. No longer can the SO tell me what I can and can't record. (I hope she doesn't read this!)
I already had a HR23, so no BBC needed there. When I tried to add the HR21, no dice. So, BBC it is. I got a couple off ebay cheap. I shoulda called D*, I guess, but acted on impulse.
I may get the gear and go full SWM everywhere (except the man cave). Seems easier that way.

Just for clarification.. It IS a Slimline 3 isnt it? There are 2 3lnb Dishes that DirecTV uses, the 18"x20" 3 LNB and the Slimline 3 LNB. The 18x20 catches Satellites 101, 119 and 72(?), the Slimline 3 is for HD signals and catches 99, 101 and 103 (99 and 103 carry the HD Channels)
You need B-Band converters for a Slimline 3 without a SWM... if you have the 18x20, then you need a new dish

Just for clarification.. It IS a Slimline 3 isnt it? There are 2 3lnb Dishes that DirecTV uses, the 18"x20" 3 LNB and the Slimline 3 LNB. The 18x20 catches Satellites 101, 119 and 72(?), the Slimline 3 is for HD signals and catches 99, 101 and 103 (99 and 103 carry the HD Channels)
You need B-Band converters for a Slimline 3 without a SWM... if you have the 18x20, then you need a new dish

Well, it has slimline on the dish itself. There is only one "eyeball" for the LNB, but, it does have 4 RG6 cable outputs on it. I ran a HR23 on it for a few years before I asked for more DVRs. It does not have SWM, I'm sure of that. When I look at my HR23 setup it has the Slimline 3 setup, not the 5.

I'm thinking of getting a SWM dish with a 4x8 multiswitch from ebay. They have them for $69, including shipping.

If you get a swm lnb you dont need the 4x8. you either need to get a swm 3 lnb with a 21v power inserter and depending how many receivers you have total a 2,4 or 8 way swm splitter. option#2 get a swm 8 module with a 29 v pi and adequate splitter. (option 2 may be the 4x8 that you are talking about, are they calling it a 4x8 or swm 8 module)

If you get a swm lnb you dont need the 4x8. you either need to get a swm 3 lnb with a 21v power inserter and depending how many receivers you have total a 2,4 or 8 way swm splitter. option#2 get a swm 8 module with a 29 v pi and adequate splitter. (option 2 may be the 4x8 that you are talking about, are they calling it a 4x8 or swm 8 module)

Here's what I was referring to, is this a good setup and price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-KAK...892?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item4608da3134

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)