H23 with Existing Dish/Switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Is there something that would prevent an H23 from working with an existing single-LNB round dish and standard multi-switch? (I only need SD channels for now.)

Our old Sony receivers are dying, and I wanted to use H23's as replacements, anticipating an eventual dish and display upgrade to HD. But, in the mean time, they need to work as SD receivers using the existing dish, switch, wiring, and displays.

Unfortunately, when I go thru the initial setup screen, I get an error message that "the number of satellites does match the order number." I have no idea what that means. When I do a signal test, all of the transponders appear to be received correctly. The remaining Sony boxes are working correctly, so there are no switch or LNB issues in general. I can think of only three reasons this is happening:
-The H23 does not work with single LNB/mutliswitch systems. (Unlikely, as those are choices in the setup menu.)
-I am missing or improperly entering some important setup info.
-The H23 is defective.

Any ideas out there in D* expert land? (I'm far more familiar with E* gear.) Thanks.

Last edited:
If you go through the set up menu and select the single round dish (assuming that dish is aimed at 101) it should pick everything up in SD just fine.

Unplug the box for a minute, then plug it back in and go through the sat set up menu.

should work.. select 18 inch dish and check to make sure you got signal. keep in mind, your H23 is a HD reciever. it will want to pick up HD signal first before SD signal.

I know numberous time I select SL3 lnb as the install is suppose to be, i sometimes get SL5 setting and thats NOT what i selected when i activated the reciever and will give me error messages and says it does not match satellite configuration. so i select SL5 and it does pick up SL3 and passes.

try this..

Reset your reciever... when it gets to the first message

Hello starting your reciever..

press 02468 on your remote and let it download the latest software..

then try your satellite setup again by selecting 18 inch round. ... see if that helps. takes roughly 10 mins to do the download. sometimes with those new H23 still have glitches and software will take care of it... sometimes.

just a shot in the dark... otherwise you will def need to upgrade the dish.

Thanks. I didn't know you could force a SW download. I wish E* receivers could do that!

If the single 18" is an option, shouldn't it work with that? Otherwise, why include that as an option? I really can't upgrade the dish right now.

it has to have every dish possible. even though we dont have multi sat 3 LNB in our area, its still there.

i havent had much luck with getting 18 dish to work on the H23s.. ive had better luck with h20s, h21s and h22s. h23 still have bugs in it.

at one point i had an H23 do all of its error message all at once like channel not purchase, this show is blacked out, authorization has expired, SFSS... all at once on the same channel and then went away.

called my sup and he said that it was normal for H23s bc they are still brand new and still fixing bugs and glitches out.

its possible yours may be doing that not allowing you to do a 18 inch dish set up.

I have an H23 that I use with an 18 inch dish every summer at my boat dock. Works great. You don't get your locals and all is in SD.

with slimline dish you get 3 satellites. with the 18 inch dish you only get one satellite. 101 which doesn't have local channels.

that may be . in my area locals are on 99 or 119. some locals were 72.5 but have been moved to 99 and 103. whatever, the H23 does work with the 18 round dish.

Most larger markets the SD locals are on 101

My neighbor has a single 18" dish and gets Minneapolis locals on it

Locals that were on 72.5 or 119 migrated to 99 & 103

UPDATE: I forced the SW DL. It's working now. It still shows an error during the sat setup test. But, it gets EPG and programming OK now.

Attachments

• IMG_0116[1].JPG
    IMG_0116[1].JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 154
what is the ERROR code and then call in and see if you can get the error code translated...

if its code 0003.. PM me and i will tell you a way around it

also a few questions..

are you getting good signal? it has to hit 85% or better to pass... if it falls beneath that, it will say fail. make sure all fittings are tight on the lnbs. its possible you got a bad LNB.. but not likely.

are there diplexers? splitters? in the line to the reciever? lot of questons need to be answered.

Thanks. The jpg above shows the error screen. I've also attached jpgs of the signal screens below. I thought I posted information that answers your other questions in my earlier posts:
-single LNB 18" dish
-multiswitch
-older SD receivers work fine with existing dish/switch

That's it. I'm not sure what other questions need to be answered.

The bottom line, though, is that I am receiving programming OK now, despite it failing the system test. I guess the new SW did it.

Attachments

• IMG_0114[1].JPG
    IMG_0114[1].JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0115[1].JPG
    IMG_0115[1].JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 139
Wow. That's low? In E* world, that would be considered outstanding.:eek:

We've never had any dropouts, even in the rain. So, I guess those levels have been ok for the old Sony receivers. I'll make sure to tweak for higher numbers when we replace our dish with a slimline when we upgrade to HD.

Wow. That's low? In E* world, that would be considered outstanding.:eek:

We've never had any dropouts, even in the rain. So, I guess those levels have been ok for the old Sony receivers. I'll make sure to tweak for higher numbers when we replace our dish with a slimline when we upgrade to HD.

My 101 numbers, except for the few spotbeams there are 96 or higher on all my H21's and HR2X's so yes you should see if you can peak that dish a bit better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts