H3 nightly reboot

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
I have our H3 set to reboot nightly at 3am but most of the time at some point during the late morning or early afternoon then i will get the popup stating that the unit hasn't rebooted lately and it will do so in 60 seconds unless i cancel it. if i cancel it then eventually it will state that i can't stop the reboot and it will go ahead and do it. I dont know why it can't stick with the 3am reboot time that i set it for. we had this same issue with our H2, that it wouldn't stick with the preset reboot time. Is this a known problem? it really sucks if it's in the middle of recording a show and forces a reboot like that.

I have our H3 set to reboot nightly at 3am but most of the time at some point during the late morning or early afternoon then i will get the popup stating that the unit hasn't rebooted lately and it will do so in 60 seconds unless i cancel it. if i cancel it then eventually it will state that i can't stop the reboot and it will go ahead and do it. I dont know why it can't stick with the 3am reboot time that i set it for

I left mine at the default, whatever that is. I note my Joey's reboot shortly after 3AM, and my H3 reboots shortly after 4AM. Did you change the Hopper to reboot at 3?

Does it actually reboot at 2AM? None of my Dish equipment does that!
On mine which is a Hopper2/sling I have it set for 3am and sometimes it reboots at 3:15 am or sometimes at 3: 30am. I think it's how much data they have to download, plus I've never had any problems with the times and I've changed it at least 4 different times. Why don't you set a recording for 3am and see if it shuts down.

Reactions: TheKrell
i set it for 3am because sometimes my wife is up until after midnight and i didnt want it interrupting her shows. no, we have no recordings in the middle of the night.
Similar situation here; usually everyone gets to bed by 2 AM or so

And even though I'm usually sleeping during my reboot times the hard drive wakes me up because it makes a distinctive power up noise and then I find myself staring at the time on my alarm clock

The bedroom is not the ideal place for an H3.

The sound you hear is the internal fan reving up at reboot - part of the reboot process.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The bedroom is not the ideal place for an H3.

The sound you hear is the internal fan reving up at reboot - part of the reboot process.
It is if the Dish account is in your name and you have nosy roommates that like to phutz with things in the household that are included in their rent but are none of their business as far as configuration goes ;)

Reactions: pattykay

I have never once heard that since my H3 is in our basement equipment room. :D But I have occasionally been awake at 3AM and saw (and delayed) the J3 reboot. And I've also tried to watch a bit later, e.g. 4AM or 5AM, and the Joey is disconnected from the Hopper which is presumably still doing it's nightly reboot.

Similar situation here; usually everyone gets to bed by 2 AM or so

And even though I'm usually sleeping during my reboot times the hard drive wakes me up because it makes a distinctive power up noise and then I find myself staring at the time on my alarm clock
If you have an Echo Dot, try the Sleep Jar skill (or any other skill that makes relaxing background noise to sleep to) and see if that drowns out the sound of the Hopper 3. I use that skill, and I have multiple DVR's in my bedroom, including a Hopper Duo and a really old 512. The reboot noise doesn't bother me. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)