H3 Prob or ??

My line conditioner got me by. Then I did some troubleshooting and discovered the house circuits were not balanced. I added circuits to the HT and kitchen. Much safer.

Thanks all - Since it's been almost 2 full days now, I think I can safely say that I've found the problem (with much help) - the Hopper seems to be working flawlessly (or as close to "flawlessly" as a Hopper 3 can get). I'll pursue the electrical issue(s). I wouldn't be surprised a bit if I don't find some imbalancing here too.
Thanks again.

If adding a UPS solved your Hopper issues, you almost certainly have some problem on that electrical circuit. So unless you are absolutely confident of the quality and condition of the wiring throughout your house, I would call a good diagnostic electrician today. It could save your life.
absolutely - and I'm looking for some one now. Thanks!

Thanks all - Since it's been almost 2 full days now, I think I can safely say that I've found the problem (with much help) - the Hopper seems to be working flawlessly (or as close to "flawlessly" as a Hopper 3 can get). I'll pursue the electrical issue(s). I wouldn't be surprised a bit if I don't find some imbalancing here too.
Thanks again.
Congrats on finding out the problem and yes I would have your circuits checked by a pro, you never know it might be as simple as replacing a breaker but better to be safe than sorry. Everybody likes a happy ending.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Me too - I'm not sure I can afford this, but on the other hand, it sounds like something I can't afford to leave to chance.
When houses are wired, many homes have outlets daisy-chained with romex, where the wire ends are stripped and plugged into holes on the back with spring-loaded contacts. This is very common when electricians are rushed or low-balled for the cost of a job. It's not unheard of for half a dozen or more outlets to be daisy-chained in this manner. The wires can tarnish, those spring loaded contacts have been known to weaken, or heat up, and become intermittent. Or even cause electrical fires in the walls in extreme cases. Competent electricians that are not rushed will strip the wires, bend hooks on the ends, and fasten the wires to the outlet with the side screws. Much better contact and much less chance of issues in the future. Prior to becoming a broadcast engineer, I was an electricians assistant. I pulled all of the wiring and mounted the breaker panels and outlet/switch boxes, preparing the site for the electrician to come in and make the connections. I observed many electricians at work. As a broadcast engineer, I had to wire studios and broadcast stations at times.

When I would buy a house, I would go through every outlet and switch box, replacing outlets and switches with higher quality, and redo all of the connections from plug-in on the back to secured under the screws.

You may want an electrician check your wall switches and outlets to look for these less secure way of wires being attached. Load balancing is important as well. You don't want your sensitive electronics on the same circuit as a heavy startup demand appliance, like a fridge, freezer, air conditioner, electric fireplace/heater, or dehumidifier. Good luck!

...You don't want your sensitive electronics on the same circuit as a heavy startup demand appliance, like a fridge, freezer, air conditioner, electric fireplace/heater, or dehumidifier. Good luck!
Thanks for the excellent summary of potential wiring issues. But even if the wiring is good to go, your other point about what else is on the same circuit as the Dish/AV equipment, is something for everyone to think about.

When houses are wired, many homes have outlets daisy-chained with romex, where the wire ends are stripped and plugged into holes on the back with spring-loaded contacts. This is very common when electricians are rushed or low-balled for the cost of a job. It's not unheard of for half a dozen or more outlets to be daisy-chained in this manner. The wires can tarnish, those spring loaded contacts have been known to weaken, or heat up, and become intermittent. Or even cause electrical fires in the walls in extreme cases. Competent electricians that are not rushed will strip the wires, bend hooks on the ends, and fasten the wires to the outlet with the side screws. Much better contact and much less chance of issues in the future. Prior to becoming a broadcast engineer, I was an electricians assistant. I pulled all of the wiring and mounted the breaker panels and outlet/switch boxes, preparing the site for the electrician to come in and make the connections. I observed many electricians at work. As a broadcast engineer, I had to wire studios and broadcast stations at times.

When I would buy a house, I would go through every outlet and switch box, replacing outlets and switches with higher quality, and redo all of the connections from plug-in on the back to secured under the screws.

You may want an electrician check your wall switches and outlets to look for these less secure way of wires being attached. Load balancing is important as well. You don't want your sensitive electronics on the same circuit as a heavy startup demand appliance, like a fridge, freezer, air conditioner, electric fireplace/heater, or dehumidifier. Good luck!

Excellent insight, Bobin -

Something I had totally forgotten (probably just like so many other problems that we allow ourselves to become "accustomed" to, over time)..... roughly half of the outlets in this house must have been really poor quality - or something - as anything plugged in, literally falls back out. The springs are so sloppy, they won't hold a plug properly. I started at one time to replace the outlets, as I would encounter a problem, but never finished. The house was built in 1987, by a supposedly reputable builder. I've been here since 2005. There are a number of identical (or almost so) homes around us. I don't know neighbors well, but I've never heard of this issue with anyone else.

Anyway, I don't know what (or if) this has anything to do with my current situation, but I've definitely moved up outlet replacement on my priority list.

I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed or frustrated: My Hopper has started flaking out again. It went almost 3 full days without a single glitch, but I got home this afternoon, and I have a dozen or more programs that are "segmented" - multiple pieces. I don't know where to go with this.

I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed or frustrated: My Hopper has started flaking out again. It went almost 3 full days without a single glitch, but I got home this afternoon, and I have a dozen or more programs that are "segmented" - multiple pieces. I don't know where to go with this.
WOW, I am so sorry. This sucks. Maybe your Hopper has bit the dust.

Reactions: xfoneguy
WOW, I am so sorry. This sucks. Maybe your Hopper has bit the dust.
I don't think i'll convince Dish of that - they've had 2 techs out, replaced everything INCLUDING the H3 (this is the 3rd one now for essentially the same issue)...... DANG!! I'm really at a loss

I don't think i'll convince Dish of that - they've had 2 techs out, replaced everything INCLUDING the H3 (this is the 3rd one now for essentially the same issue)...... DANG!! I'm really at a loss
I would go the route of having an electrician check the house out before I make another call to Dish. Possibly any electrical problems are affecting/damaging the Hoppers which is why they work for awhile, then flake out - albeit I know this is one you had problems with previously before changing outlets

I would go the route of having an electrician check the house out before I make another call to Dish. Possibly any electrical problems are affecting/damaging the Hoppers which is why they work for awhile, then flake out - albeit I know this is one you had problems with previously before changing outlets
Absolutely - I can't see that this is any longer a Dish problem. Something weird is going on here. Hopefully I can find someone affordable to check this out.

Slightly different symptoms this time around ..... no reboots that I've seen, but the screen goes dark for a few seconds and in the lower left corner is a "Please wait - refresh in progress". When that happens, everything that is recording apparently stops and restarts (hence, the segments) The "Diagnostics" screen shows 20 "internal resets", whatever that is. 5 "signal notifications". Last time around, both of those numbers were almost identical and I was getting a lot of obvious reboots (the Kangaroo routine).

Granted, I'm grasping for straws here, but straws is about all I have left - So, I've disconnected the Hopper from HDMI altogether and moved it to Component. Probably futile, but I'm out of ideas, other than the electrician route..