had to fix my solomend/openbox in the midst of putting up dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
i knew the receiver was working because ewtn was ok but no response from the controller. it had died in the past and i had replaced several 1000mf/16v capacitors with temporary fixes. in the meantime got 1000mf/25v to replace the bad ones. one of the fixes was 470mf/16v so i replaced that one. it was the right one because i fired up the receiver and it worked. if anyone has an open box or solomend that is failed and wants to part with it, i would be interested in it. i spent 40 years in tech work for the navy and at&t and school districts so playing with electronic is fun. charlie

This is really interesting. I have 2 Solomend which sometimes give me a headache to make them to boot. Do you think you can post maybe a handwritting diagram showing which ones need to be replaced?? or maybe and faster a photo??? Will really appreciated!!! Thanks

This is really interesting. I have 2 Solomend which sometimes give me a headache to make them to boot. Do you think you can post maybe a handwritting diagram showing which ones need to be replaced?? or maybe and faster a photo??? Will really appreciated!!! Thanks

The odds are you have a bad capacitor in the power supply and without a cap tester that can put a load on it the easy way is to just replace all of them because if one is going bad then more than likely you may have others with the same date code. If it's not the powersupply ones then it might be harder to fix as the main logic board might have more than one layer to it and without the right tools you just might destory the board. You can alway try using heat and cold to trouble shoot the problem.

to start with my solomend was hard to boot. the 'on' would stay on and if i switched it off and on a couple of times it finally booted. the capacitors i replaced were two 1000mf/16v and one 1000mf/25v with three 1000mf/25v electrolytics. i did replace a 33mf/200v or so, can't remember now, with a 33mf/450v because i didn't like the stuff that oozed out of it. it might have been ok but i knew the 1000mfs were bad because the top of them was slightly bulged. hope this helps. charlie

My solomend still has a problem of not booting up if power to the unit gets disconnected.Solution for me at the present is to apply a ice pack to the unit then it will boot up.When i find some time i will get a can of freeze spray and one by one zap parts in the solomend till i find the one that will fix the boot problem.Easy way to troubleshoot without a schematic.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)