Halo 5 Announced for 2015

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There's supposed to be 15 DLC multiplayer maps released (along with 20 coming with launch) and they're all going to be free. Good move by 343. About time they started implementing a FEW of the good ideas that Bungie came up with.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059775

Yep. I think part of this came from Evolve too. They went out and said that they weren't going to do anything to divide the player base so all maps would be free. Not too long after that Respawn decided to make Titanfall's season pass free for the same reason. I think developers of multiplayer focused games are finally starting to realize that charging for map packs can ruin an already shrinking player base a few months after launch.

If they want to keep a strong multiplayer community and still charge for DLC they are going to have to find other things to sell besides maps like cosmetic items or story DLC.

I think it may have also come from the fact that we're all still pissed over the (ongoing) disaster of the MCC. I mean I honestly only see myself picking up this game if A: It has a metacritic rating of 90+ and B: It's at LEAST 40% off.

I really think they all could have been T. There is no graphic violence or sex and there has never been much in terms of language. Due to the Spartan armor most of the characters dying look more machine than human.

Yes, the point of the game is to shoot enemies with a gun but there aren't limbs flying everywhere like you would see in something like Gears of War. It's really pretty tame stuff.

Anyone else think this is a really dumb idea?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ent-point-to-end-of-series-local-multiplayer/

This sort of flew under the radar but basically, there's NO split screen in Halo 5. Not with 2 or 4 players, AND they're removing LAN support. So the only way you can play any sort of multiplayer is with other people with Xbox Live. And their excuse as to why they got rid of it really reads like, "We STILL don't know how to optimize our code so rather than delay the game to get the best experience, we're just scrapping split screen."

Last edited:

Ehh... I really don't care. I can't remember the last time I tried to play a game in split screen. It may have been a couple random co-op campaign missions in the original Gears of War.

Playing with friends in the same room as you is some of the most fun you can have with video games. They said they aren't able to push visuals and have a good framerate if they have to be able to render everything twice though. I would much rather have the best possible experience with one player on my Xbox than take a hit on the off chance that someone is going to want to come to my house and play the campaign in split screen with me.

With the way things work these days I'm much more likely to play with friends over the internet than on my couch. I don't have a problem with them acknowledging that and moving forward. Split screen just isn't as important as it was back in the Halo 1 days.

Not only that but split screen kind of sucks. Everything is super small and widescreen content doesn't split into two that easily. Either you have a really zoomed in view that cuts huge portions off what you would normally see or you have black bars and it's an even smaller picture.

Ehh... I really don't care. I can't remember the last time I tried to play a game in split screen. It may have been a couple random co-op campaign missions in the original Gears of War.

Playing with friends in the same room as you is some of the most fun you can have with video games. They said they aren't able to push visuals and have a good framerate if they have to be able to render everything twice though. I would much rather have the best possible experience with one player on my Xbox than take a hit on the off chance that someone is going to want to come to my house and play the campaign in split screen with me.

With the way things work these days I'm much more likely to play with friends over the internet than on my couch. I don't have a problem with them acknowledging that and moving forward. Split screen just isn't as important as it was back in the Halo 1 days.

Not only that but split screen kind of sucks. Everything is super small and widescreen content doesn't split into two that easily. Either you have a really zoomed in view that cuts huge portions off what you would normally see or you have black bars and it's an even smaller picture.

While I get and understand all that, the fact of the matter is that if they really tried, they could pull it off. These modern consoles should have more than enough horsepower to handle such a task, and I see no issue with just downgrading the visuals/frame rate when there's more than 1 player. Games have done that in the past and I'm sure that gamers would understand.

As far as split screen combat sort of sucking, yes that is somewhat true, but really it just is so much fun getting a big match going locally. I had so much fun playing Halo 1 MP with multiple people over my college LAN back in the day, and with 5 you can't do that. It wasn't uncommon for people to jump on 2 consoles for some fun 4 on 4 action. Now you need 8 separate Xbox Ones, 8 copies of the game, 8 Xbox Live Accounts, 8 Microphones, 8 displays and 8 controllers. So in order to do a "classic" 4v4 Halo Match, you need FORTY EIGHT pieces of hardware/software, as opposed to 14 (2 + 2 + 2 + 8.)

But okay, that's a bit of an extreme case. But what about if you and your significant other or child wanted to play the game with you? I'm sorry, but it's a little weird that I can play co-op with you, who lives 700 miles/11 hours away, but I can't do it with someone who is sitting on the same couch as me, in a game series where the previous SIX games all had the feature. I had so much fun when I would visit my family from NJ in the past because we were all gamers and we'd bring our Xboxes and hook them up and do local LAN and split screen games. Now we can't do something that has been a part of FPS games since 1997...

So basically, 343 said, "We decided to sacrifice fun for graphics" which last I checked was one of the cardinal sins of a developer. I know it sounds like I'm trying to make a mountain of a molehill, but taken outside of the realm of our primary experience as guys who mainly do single player/online multiplayer, this really hurts a large number of fans. As game series' continue, they should be ADDING options, not removing them.

I'm basically done with 343 at this point. They so royally messed up the MCC and never bothered to fix it, and now they're basically going to release "Call of Halo" and remove the local multiplayer that made the game so beloved in the first place. Hell, I even took Halo 5 out of my Gamefly queue, and I never thought I'd see myself doing that.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant. Sorry.

While I get and understand all that, the fact of the matter is that if they really tried, they could pull it off. These modern consoles should have more than enough horsepower to handle such a task, and I see no issue with just downgrading the visuals/frame rate when there's more than 1 player. Games have done that in the past and I'm sure that gamers would understand.

As far as split screen combat sort of sucking, yes that is somewhat true, but really it just is so much fun getting a big match going locally. I had so much fun playing Halo 1 MP with multiple people over my college LAN back in the day, and with 5 you can't do that. It wasn't uncommon for people to jump on 2 consoles for some fun 4 on 4 action. Now you need 8 separate Xbox Ones, 8 copies of the game, 8 Xbox Live Accounts, 8 Microphones, 8 displays and 8 controllers. So in order to do a "classic" 4v4 Halo Match, you need FORTY EIGHT pieces of hardware/software, as opposed to 14 (2 + 2 + 2 + 8.)

But okay, that's a bit of an extreme case. But what about if you and your significant other or child wanted to play the game with you? I'm sorry, but it's a little weird that I can play co-op with you, who lives 700 miles/11 hours away, but I can't do it with someone who is sitting on the same couch as me, in a game series where the previous SIX games all had the feature. I had so much fun when I would visit my family from NJ in the past because we were all gamers and we'd bring our Xboxes and hook them up and do local LAN and split screen games. Now we can't do something that has been a part of FPS games since 1997...

So basically, 343 said, "We decided to sacrifice fun for graphics" which last I checked was one of the cardinal sins of a developer. I know it sounds like I'm trying to make a mountain of a molehill, but taken outside of the realm of our primary experience as guys who mainly do single player/online multiplayer, this really hurts a large number of fans. As game series' continue, they should be ADDING options, not removing them.

I'm basically done with 343 at this point. They so royally messed up the MCC and never bothered to fix it, and now they're basically going to release "Call of Halo" and remove the local multiplayer that made the game so beloved in the first place. Hell, I even took Halo 5 out of my Gamefly queue, and I never thought I'd see myself doing that.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant. Sorry.

All of that is true. I remember playing lots of Halo 1 with 4 players on one TV and Halo 2 and 3 over the college dorm LAN. It is some of the most fun you can have playing games. I would have almost no chance of actually using split screen in Halo 5 though. Just not gonna happen.

That being said, I realize that I am talking about my own personal situation and not everyone else's. I'm sure this will be a big disappointment for people who would use it. For example, I have cousins who are brothers and have played every Halo campaign together in co-op on the same TV. Now, these guys were really to young to be playing these games when Halo:CE came out but they did it anyways and it was their tradition with all the newer games. They weren't going to be playing Halo 5 like this either way since they are both grown up and moved to different parts of the country but they would have been devastated if this happened when they were younger and still lived together.

I can see why parents with multiple kids would hate this. Instead of letting their kids play together on one TV they either have to buy them two TVs, two Xbox Ones, two copies of the game, and two Live accounts or they just can't play together anymore. Then it becomes a situation where they are fighting over who gets to use the Xbox when the parents used to just be able to send them to the basement to play and not have to deal with them for a few hours.

Halo 5 will have a day one patch of approximately 9663676416 bytes and a total footprint of about 59055800320 bytes. If you get the digital copy and preload your edition will have the patch included. If you install via disc you'll have to download the patch separately.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2493403,00.asp

Luckily I have an external hard drive and fast internet so this kind of thing doesn't effect me. I don't really care how big the install size or day one patches are as long a game actually works on release date. In some cases a big day one patch is actually a good thing because it means they kept polishing it until release date after it had gone gold. Even solid games can benefit from more polish time.

In other cases it obviously means that a game wasn't ready when it went gold and it's going to be a buggy mess. It all depends on the game but the point is that a day one patch isn't inherently bad.

Series Director of Halo 5 says there's "Plenty of chance" that Halo 5 could be on PC

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/halo-...of-chance-that-halo-5-could-appear-on-the-pc/

That'd be cool IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if this AND the MCC came out on Windows 10. I think pretty soon it's not going to be Xbox One Vs PS4, but Windows 10 (One and PC) versus PS4.

Halo 5 would be cool but I think PC gamers would be all over the Master Chief Collection if it came to PC. I know they got a version of Halo 1 and Halo 2 for PC but I think a full collection of Halo games with a solid online multiplayer network on PC would sell like crazy. It better actually work if it comes out though. PC gamers can get a bit rabid when a game doesn't work.

Halo 5 would be cool but I think PC gamers would be all over the Master Chief Collection if it came to PC. I know they got a version of Halo 1 and Halo 2 for PC but I think a full collection of Halo games with a solid online multiplayer network on PC would sell like crazy. It better actually work if it comes out though. PC gamers can get a bit rabid when a game doesn't work.
Well there's that and also Major Nelson threw this out there not too long ago..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts