Happy 25th Birthday Street Fighter 2!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Yes, 25 years ago today, fighting games were changed FOREVER with the release of Street Fighter 2. Again, much like Doom there is a world before SF 2 and then a world after SF 2. Polygon wrote up a very extensive article that has numerous interviews with the staff that made the original game.

http://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history

I have many fond memories of the SF 2 games. I remember when I used to visit my cousin, we'd literally just go into his room with his Sega Genesis and play each other for HOURS straight. Luckily our parents didn't complain, probably because it gave them more time together without us bothering them. Then I remembered playing in college when the SF 2 collection came out on PSX. I'd make my roommate so damn mad because I'd play as Ken and every time he'd try to jump attack I'd just Shoryuken him out of the air. It got so bad that he would refuse to play me unless I was on the second controller because I wasn't as good at doing it from that side. Still, fun times nonetheless.

BTW, if you were wondering why people don't remember the original Street Fighter, well there's a very good reason for that: It's sh*t.

(NSFW language)

FYI, even though he's playing the TG-16 port, I can attest that the game was awful. I played it in the arcades back in the day and the controls nearly rendered the game unplayable.

I never played much Street Fighter mostly I didn't have a Super Nintendo or Genesis as a kid. I went straight from the NES to the PS1. The most time I've ever spent with a Street Fighter game was when IV came out on the 360. I was in college at the time so we had plenty of people to play against. Unfortunately, because I didn't play the old ones growing up I didn't know the combos like the other guys did and I usually got my ass kicked.

Speaking of SF2, apparently Kanye West is a fan of the game (or at least his producer is, but I thought he produced his own stuff, but anyway.) One of his songs is littered with SF 2 sound drops. If you can tolerate Kanye for just 3:31 of your life you may find this interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts