Hard drive DVR

campercarm

Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I have Dish month/month service in my motor home, use two 711z receivers one for the front tv, and one for the rear tv.
I have a external hard drive that I mounted with the front receiver. Payed for the activation , and it works great.
I wanted to move that hard drive to the rear receiver.
Display on the screen said that a hard drive was connected to the receiver, that the receiver needed to be restarted?
Not sure hat that would do to the hard drive and recordings on it?
Called Dish support the person I received was clueless.
When asked for someone who knew about this , she said she was trained technician.
Then I said Satellite Guys would be able to help me.

You mean 211Z?
I would go ahead and do the restart, as long as it does not say the EHD will be reformatted. I do believe that is normal 211 behavior.

Reactions: TheKrell
Unless you have no interest in saving any existing content on the EHD, you'll need to keep the EHD together with its associated receiver. The EHD setup for the ViP211z is not much like that of the ViP DVRs.

You may have to delete the existing partitions to get the EHD to work with a different receiver.

Unless you have no interest in saving any existing content on the EHD, you'll need to keep the EHD together with its associated receiver. The EHD setup for the ViP211z is not much like that of the ViP DVRs.

You may have to delete the existing partitions to get the EHD to work with a different receiver.
As long as both 211s are associated to the same account, he should be able to use EHD on both, No?

Last edited:
As long as both 221s are associated to the same account, he should be able to use EHD on both, No?
No!

I thought I made it clear that the ViP211 EHD does NOT work like the ViP DVR series EHD. The content is NOT transferable between ViP211 boxes. To reason that it should or must be is pissing into the wind.

You sure about that? Cause I could have sworn people do that when they get an RA

Yeah. I could have sworn people have reported moving their 211 EHDs from one 211 to another without issue.

Edited to add: thanks GaryS.

To avoid sullying your hands with DBStalk, here's the relevant quote from Ray C:
The activation fee for the 211 external hard drive is a one-time account level fee. You can have multiple 211/211k receivers and an EHD attached to each. You can even move EHD from one 211/211k to another on the same account. The receiver must be active on the account.

Reactions: KAB and GaryPen
No!

I thought I made it clear that the ViP211 EHD does NOT work like the ViP DVR series EHD. The content is NOT transferable between ViP211 boxes. To reason that it should or must be is pissing into the wind.
You made it clear you were wrong, and pretty forcefully, too.

You made it clear you were wrong, and pretty forcefully, too.
It would appear that I was if you're willing to bet on information from technical support. My information came from someone who tried to move the EHD between ViP211s (active on the same account) and said that it did NOT work.

I tried the restart and it worked ok.
I was able to access the previous recordings ok.

So now I know what the process is to move the hard drive between the two receivers.

Thank you all for your assistance, it is appreciated ..

It would appear that I was if you're willing to bet on information from technical support. My information came from someone who tried to move the EHD between ViP211s (active on the same account) and said that it did NOT work.
It still appears you were.

Reactions: KAB and Tampa8

So now I know what the process is to move the hard drive between the two receivers.

Thank you all for your assistance, it is appreciated ..
That's what we're here for.

Reactions: GaryPen
Seems that someone did not follow the screen instructions and just gave up.

Before I got my Hopper/Joey system I had 3 211's and could move hard drives around them with no problem.

All had drive docks, just reboot when you move the drive.

It has always been that way I don't know where the idea that they could not be moved between 211's on the same account came from but it is incorrect.

It has always been that way I don't know where the idea that they could not be moved between 211's on the same account came from but it is incorrect.
Apparently it came from an anecdotal story from one user who "tried".

Reactions: Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)