Hard drive size limits

shibby191

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2007
Somewhere
Just got the new DVR and setup was pretty simple. I have an old Hitachi 1 TB drive laying around that I was thinking of using but the manual seems to indicate only drives up to 500GB can be used.

So the question is, can drives larger then 500GB be used and if so, will the full drive space be available?

Thanks!

shibby191

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2007
Somewhere
Well, decided to try it anyway. It formatted fine and it's done a couple test records and playback with no problem. So far so good. The wife is happy. :)

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
I had some trouble with a smaller drive - but my "IT" grandchild told me the problem was the STB only recognized FAT32 while windowsXP formats something else (I forgot the name). She told me to playback to the DVD recorder and save the programs on the DVD before trying to make regular DVDs on the computer. I have not tried to use the computer since! Solved my problem. Oh, hooking the drive to the computer corrupted the file names and therefore the files, was her explaination. Solved by a 7 year old!

Glorystar1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 28, 2007
Roseville, California
shibby191
We are currently adding support for larger drives. While a 1TB drive may work, there has been no formal testing. Please post how well your drive works and what enclosure is used in the drive thread. See thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/gloryst...satpro-dvr1100c-confirmed-usb-2-0-drives.html

rv1pop
Your granddaughter is correct. The DVR uses USB drives formatted to FAT32. This format can be read by both a PC and MAC. You may format a drive to FAT32 with either to MAC or to a PC (Windows limits the size of a FAT32 drive so you will need to either use DOS or a program like SwissKnife).

Simply connecting a USB drive to a computer and playing back a program on the computer will not change or corrupt the recorded files. Do not change the file names with a computer. This may corrupt the file.

I had some trouble with a smaller drive - but my "IT" grandchild told me the problem was the STB only recognized FAT32 while windowsXP formats something else (I forgot the name). She told me to playback to the DVD recorder and save the programs on the DVD before trying to make regular DVDs on the computer. I have not tried to use the computer since! Solved my problem. Oh, hooking the drive to the computer corrupted the file names and therefore the files, was her explaination. Solved by a 7 year old!

shibby191

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2007
Somewhere
shibby191
We are currently adding support for larger drives. While a 1TB drive may work, there has been no formal testing. Please post how well your drive works and what enclosure is used in the drive thread. See thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/gloryst...satpro-dvr1100c-confirmed-usb-2-0-drives.html

Will do. It's just a standard off the shelf external drive. It's not an internal with an enclosure. I tried to post to the thread and it gave me a warning that it was too old so hopefully the post goes thru.

Gary Z

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 27, 2005
Seguin, Texas
Just wanted to give my input on drives larger then 500 GB. I have a 750 GB Maxtor OneTouch 4Plus. The DVR1100c formats the disk fine, but the when trying to save Channel lists or record a program the result is gibberish and an unreadable file. I then formatted the drive to 500 GB and all works perfectly. The remaining 250 GB I left unformatted and does not seem to affect the operation of the drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)