Hardwire Network Connection To HR44

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dalyew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
My HR44 is right beside my modem & router but my installer told me not to use the wired connection to the dvr as I may get some conflicts (or something like that) so I've kept it to wireless. Previously I had my Dish Hopper connected directly to my router & tempted to do the same now.

My questions are, is the installer right & if not, is there any advantage with a wired connection over a wireless one to the dvr?

I really am not having any issues with my current wireless configuration but notice on demand downloads are a little slower than I experienced when with Dish.

A wired connection should be much faster, especially when downloading. I don't know anything about DirectTV equipment but the only conflict I can think of might be with IP addresses. If the DVR is working ok with the wireless connection I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a wired connection. Your download speed should be better as well. I have a TiVo, three ROKU's a Wii, a PS 3, two lap tops, two iPads and three smartphones, a wireless printer, a desktop, and my wife's work setup which consists of a desk top and a VOIP phone, connected through a CISCO router which is connected to our router, the majority of the devices connect over wireless, I never have any IP address conflicts.

Sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have not had any issues with my HR44 wired through Ethernet from my living room, back to the router. As long as you have a good install on the coax, it does not matter how it is connected to the router, to grab an IP for all equipment on the MOca network, just as long as it works.

no no no..... incorrect. As an installer, I will confirm that you should NOT use the ethernet port on the back of an HR44 as it can and will eventually cause IP conflicts with the clients and multiroom viewing capabilities. If you are dead set on having a hardwired internet connection (not that there is anything at all wrong with this, in fact as an installer I would have installed it using a hardwired adapter myself especially if the router is right next to the 44) call up directv and tell them you want an installer sent back out because the "internet is giving you problems" dont go into any more details than that, just say its dropping out (doesnt matter if it is or not). Tell them note the order to have a "broadband deca" brought out and installed. This is a specialized adapter that will connect directly to your router via ethernet and convert the internet signal into the coax network, and properly distribute it to the rest of your directv receivers. All the installer will have to do is put a 2way swm splitter behind the genie, and run two jumpers from it, one to the bb deca, one to the genie. Done.. You can also accomplish this yourself if you want to purchase the splitter/bb deca off ebay or a retail website, but why pay for it. Google is your friend.

Sorry, using wired ethernet from the HR44 works fine. No IP conflicts, no issues with MRV. Problems must lie somewhere else.

no no no..... incorrect. As an installer, I will confirm that you should NOT use the ethernet port on the back of an HR44 as it can and will eventually cause IP conflicts with the clients and multiroom viewing capabilities. If you are dead set on having a hardwired internet connection (not that there is anything at all wrong with this, in fact as an installer I would have installed it using a hardwired adapter myself especially if the router is right next to the 44) call up directv and tell them you want an installer sent back out because the "internet is giving you problems" dont go into any more details than that, just say its dropping out (doesnt matter if it is or not). Tell them note the order to have a "broadband deca" brought out and installed. This is a specialized adapter that will connect directly to your router via ethernet and convert the internet signal into the coax network, and properly distribute it to the rest of your directv receivers. All the installer will have to do is put a 2way swm splitter behind the genie, and run two jumpers from it, one to the bb deca, one to the genie. Done.. You can also accomplish this yourself if you want to purchase the splitter/bb deca off ebay or a retail website, but why pay for it. Google is your friend.

Actually, my wireless router does drop the signal for a few seconds a few times daily but no fault of any Directv equipment. It more affect our other wireless devices but occasionally I have to reboot it when the HR44 is unable to connect to the Internet, that's what reminded me about what the installer said, as I'm tempted to do the direct connection.

Thanks for the tip, I think I may call them & report back here the outcome.

Sorry, using wired ethernet from the HR44 works fine. No IP conflicts, no issues with MRV. Problems must lie somewhere else.

I respectfully disagree with this. The adapters are made for a reason, if you have a genie only setup it should work in theory, but any installer will tell you connecting a ethernet to the port on a 44/34 will disable the internal deca.

Actually, my wireless router does drop the signal for a few seconds a few times daily but no fault of any Directv equipment. It more affect our other wireless devices but occasionally I have to reboot it when the HR44 is unable to connect to the Internet, that's what reminded me about what the installer said, as I'm tempted to do the direct connection.

Thanks for the tip, I think I may call them & report back here the outcome.

Lastly check if your hr44 is a -200. If so the internal wifi on these is currently defective and that is a known issue.

I must agree with kitty. The 34/44's are now having issues with MRV because we was able to connect directly to them and now we're getting service calls on them. Only fix is to unhook it and connect a broadband deca

No, using the wired ethernet connection does not disable the internal DECA. You're thinking about the HR24.
There are thousands of people connecting their HR44 to internet via the wired connection. Most DirecTV installers don't even know this will work because they have been trained always to use the CCK.

I'm glad I posted this question, I'm now even more undecided as before lol. When I get some time I'll try connecting my HR44 via ethernet and see what happens. I just hope stuff doesn't start hitting the fan :).

No, I'm thinking of the 34/44. If clients are used you're fine, adding receiver to the mix with the Ethernet connected without an actual deca is what's causing service numbers to spike from coast to coast. Whether directv had done is now causing us techs headaches. Nobody knows why but they're are dropping MRV from genies when they have cat5/6 connected directly to the 34/44

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm confused. I checked my DirecTV contacts (including installers) and they tell me there has been no spike in these problems, as far as they know there are no issues with the HR44 connected directly to the router. Mine is connected that way, and it is showing no issues at all. I have two clients and three DVRs connected.

We've been told differently on the east coast. I'm seeing at least 3-5 a week where we walk in and nothing except clients see the genie, in hook the cable and install a deca and rerun network and then everything comes back to life. I can't see how me seeing this this often is only in a remote location unless we're seeing software here that other parts haven't received yet? Just a guess though

We've been told differently on the east coast. I'm seeing at least 3-5 a week where we walk in and nothing except clients see the genie, in hook the cable and install a deca and rerun network and then everything comes back to life. I can't see how me seeing this this often is only in a remote location unless we're seeing software here that other parts haven't received yet? Just a guess though

A lot can do with poorly wired ethernet jacks, poor sub-grade consumer equipment (switches, routers), poor placement of said equipment, nicked ethernet wiring, etc.. I use only business grade switches & Access Points, and have properly wired ethernet lines and jacks, never have had any issues, with either my HR44 or any network equipment.

Usually I top out around 625mbps between my notebook which is wifi, and my NAS, which is hard wired downstairs through a Netgear GS108 switch. Again, if the person who set up their network did not know what they were doing, or had someone who hacked it together, yes you are going to have issues.

not to start an argument, but the word of two certified in house installers with monthly training and updates and such is worth something. Directv wouldnt tell us specifically not to do something for no apparent reason. Take the advice as you will, but I posted what is "officially" a correct installation diagram (in words)

A lot can do with poorly wired ethernet jacks, poor sub-grade consumer equipment (switches, routers), poor placement of said equipment, nicked ethernet wiring, etc.. I use only business grade switches & Access Points, and have properly wired ethernet lines and jacks, never have had any issues, with either my HR44 or any network equipment. Usually I top out around 625mbps between my notebook which is wifi, and my NAS, which is hard wired downstairs through a Netgear GS108 switch. Again, if the person who set up their network did not know what they were doing, or had someone who hacked it together, yes you are going to have issues.

This is about as pointless of knowledge has half the stuff on the internet. We're told what we're told for a reason. I'm not and won't argue this. It is what it is. Was it ok for us to connect directly to the genie before, yes nix it now, no. There is a reason for this. We don't make the rules, we just see the consequences of our actions in service calls. I've seen completely rewired jobs and brand new everything still have a repeat call because of a hard wired connection. So until you supply my truck with top of the line equipment and pay my house payment, I couldn't care less

not to start an argument, but the word of two certified in house installers with monthly training and updates and such is worth something. Directv wouldnt tell us specifically not to do something for no apparent reason. Take the advice as you will, but I posted what is "officially" a correct installation diagram (in words)

DirecTV has always put in the training that you are supposed to connect the Genies to the internet using a CCK instead of a direct connection. No-one really knows why. One of the senior techs at corporate was asked why. The only response was that they wanted to use a standard method for connection for all the DVRs so as not to confuse the techs.

DirecTV has always put in the training that you are supposed to connect the Genies to the internet using a CCK instead of a direct connection. No-one really knows why. One of the senior techs at corporate was asked why. The only response was that they wanted to use a standard method for connection for all the DVRs so as not to confuse the techs.

We was allowed to connect them hard wired from the time the 34 was launched up to just maybe a month ago. When hard wired the clients act fine but for some odd reason (yet to get an answer from anybody) other receivers can lose sight of the genie. But they all still seem to stay connected to the Internet. Along with the blast fact the also added several known trouble routers to the do not connect list. If these are tied to each other who knows but as for the wired vs deca, I agree, the wired shouldn't be an issue BUT what I've had to roll on service call wise says something completely different

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)