Harmonic Encoder Improvements? (Feedback Need it)

RogerD

Are you using the DVI or component output from the Voom receiver??

My experience with the component output is that originally with the harmonic encoder upgrade, colors were too saturated. Evidently a good deal of that has been corrected. If you're using DVI, you might want to test against component. I'll try it on DVI and see how it compares to component.

Also, check your resolution setting(red button under door). I usually have mine set on native. With the upgrade, it must have been switched to 720p which could be a different group of settings on your plasma.

Regarding the other issues you mentioned, I'm seeing the same thing, however its improved quite a bit from Thursday.

RogerD said:
No, the PQ is not getting better. I watched a few shows that I had watched before tonight and yesterday night. They were considerably worse in my 50" plasma TV. The color is dull, not as bright or vibrant as before. The picture is not as sharp as before and is blurry at times. Scene changes take some time (half a second maybe) to stabilized. It is not my illusion because when I switch to OTA HD channels, I get back the vibrant HD PQ that I am looking for. I think VOOM needs to respond back and let us know if this PQ degradation is only temporary or not. If this is going to be permanent, there is no point for me to keep VOOM.

I share the same views, I hadn't had a chance to look at VOOM until last night, and what I noticed were the same exact things. Even the equator ads didn't grab me like they used to, and the whole scene change thing you were talking about describes what I saw.

I try not to be anal about this sort of thing, but I noticed it even though I wasn't trying to...I hope it improves.

As I said before in the beginning of the post, they are still tweaking the new encoders. They will get it right. It is just a matter of time. We are all seeing the pixelation in motion, frame to frame cuts, and any frame that flashes with vibrant colors. The still picture look ok but these pixelation problems are not only in all the HD channels but it also propagated to the SD channels which used to look acceptable.

They are working on it and your feedback has been quite good so far. I personally vote to not add any channels until these technical problems are resolved. They need to do it as soon as possible but I also understand that it is going to take some time to do it. We are all in the same boat and I am glad that they are trying to work with us to resolve the issues.

I'm not sure if adding new channels have anything much to do with fine tuning the new encoders. Kinda sounds unrelated.

Thoughts?

It may or it may not. But I am looking it at it from my perspective. At this point I wish I could have the PQ back to the way that it was before rather than having new channels. Although, it is possible that both solutions could be worked on parallel ways;

I guess I was just ranting a little bit since I am not very happy with the PQ :(

Have they given you any indication on which channels have been "fixed" already? Because as I stated earlier ESPN is the best its ever looked on voom. (the no pixelization on the fast moving CGI intros)

Sean - I'm not sure I agree.

My Sony LMD230WS LCD is incredibly unforgiving in regards to pixilation and compression and I can report all channels including SD show marked improvement IMO.

Voom PQ will never look as good as orginal source material out of my HDCAM deck - however it is closer to ANYTHING else in the consumer realm.

I took those pictures out of monsters hd today. They are playing that graphic during intermission. I am also seeing the same on WorldSport.

Sean said:
"The still picture look ok but these pixelation problems are not only in all the HD channels but it also propagated to the SD channels which used to look acceptable."

I don't agree. On SD channels the STILL pictures look soft and smoothed out with less detail. I can even see compression pixelization on still pics that give a REDUCED PALETTE.

I do agree that it is very nice that they are taking input and are interested in our feedback. I also agree that I'd rather have the PQ back w/no new channels than otherwise.

I hope they've put the first major efforts on the HD, and they'll get those SDs better next.

I agree with Sean. I know it'll take time to tweak the encoders. And I'm glad Voom is asking for our feedback. But if we are going to suffer PQ in the long run just to add channels, I don't want the new channels. I miss the old PQ.

Add me to the "quality is more important than quantity" list. I'm sure that the channel additions are affecting picture quality right now. The whole point of the new encoders is to reduce bandwidth. Hopefully they can squeeze enough for the new channels without degrading the existing channels. I'm confident they will continue tweeking until they allot just enough bandwidth to achieve a quality picture.

I've noticed every problem that has been mentioned in this thread:

HD Channels
Pixellation on fast motion and transitions
Skeeters on channels where I hadn't seen them before
Over saturation of colors
Not as sharp

SD Channels
Terrible! Makes cable look good.
Not only not sharp, but blurry.
Color banding and lots of noise in shadows.
Dull color palette.
ABCFamily is too bright! I'm afraid its going to burn a hole in my display.

I know some of the problems with SD are inherent but the PQ has declined greatly. I also agree that the HD channels have to be fixed first so the SD will look bad longer but please VoOM don't short change them. We do watch SD too and we want as good of picture as we can get.

And last but not least, thanks for listening to your customers. Its good to know that you are interested in our satisfaction.

All right, I know a few of you think I am a basher, but when my Step-Father came to me and asked where he could get more HD ( he retired a year ago and has become quite lazy and watches TV all day ) I told him about Voom and since , unlike me, did not care about the HD-DVR, signed up and has had it about a week now ( along with E* and Comcast also), today I saw it for the first time ( just for a couple min. he was watching Goldeneye on Showtime) I won't comment just to keep the peace here and I know they are working on it, but he is not happy with me, he brought up everything Plasmata just posted but with a lot more cussing at me for recommending this thing to him, I explained about the encoders so they will add more channels soon and that seemed to calm him down, but he is real close to canceling already.
Voom needs to say something on screen or mail or something to all the subs about what is going on with the picture, namely the subs that are not here and to all the new subs that do not know what is going on with the picture.

i just got voom today, came over from TWC. I think the PQ is excellent, as good if not better than twc. The only thing i noticed is the picture leaving streaks sometimes, i dont know if im explaining it right. Anyway, that doesnt bother me and otherwise this service is amazing

I noticed that the DiscoveryHD is softer now than it had been. I just switched my display from Component to DVI and the Motorola box to 720P for my DLP. It is better but DiscoveryHD used to be a knockout. Also see skeeters. Wonder if some of that is in the original transfer.

Neo, welcome to Voom. Wait till you see the picture when they get things back to where they were prior to the new encoders. It'll knock your socks off!! :D

It appears that the PQ on some HD channels have improved quite a lot today. Color saturation and brightness are much improved. Showtime HD channels improve the most in my opinion. Starz channels still look a bit over compressed. Most VOOM exclusive channels have also improved. But I think HDN and RUSH are still a notch or two worse than before. I am using DVI/1080i.

Most of my enoyment of VOOM is back. If VOOM can just give me one more channel, FSN Bay Area HD, before April, I will be the happiest man in world for at least the rest of the year. I would not mind to pay extra for that channel either.

I've watched quite a few HDCinema flicks the last couple of days, all look great.

Discovery channel last night was terrible, very soft and lots of major blocking, AND the dreaded skeeters were back :no .

Rob.

techweb said:
Add to the list of problems caused by the new encoders, digital audio dropouts, at least on Rave.

I experienced the same issue this weekend. Was driving me crazy and I was thinking that there was something wrong with my setup. Glad to know that it is not me, but would still like it to go away. I too was watching Rave when I noticed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts