Harmonic Encoder Improvements? (Feedback Need it)

This whole thing with adjustments to the encoders is just growing pains. Evidently, we had to go to the new encoders before implementing MPEG4.

AND if we ever make it to MPEG4(I sure hope we do), we're probably are going to have a few weeks of getting it tweaked out also.

Watched some HDNews and DiscoveryHD last night. Picture not quite as soft as before, and less blocking during medium/fast panning. Still not as good as before the encoder swap imo.

Just a little further to go and PQ will be enjoyable again (meaning good enough to just kick back and watch the show, instead of being drawn out of it by the softness and blocking). Keep tweaking VOOM engineers, its much appreciated by us on the receiving end :up !

Rob.

DarrellP said:
I browsed through the entire lineup tonight and there are just too many channels to complain about. Several SD channels were quite nice, but the majority of theme sucked. Equator still sucks but most of the other HD looks good until there is a scene transition. If we had a 24/7 acquarium, PQ would be outstanding, but come on Voom, things MOVE on the screen and it requires MORE BANDWIDTH, NOW COUGH IT UP AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT CRAMMING 3 MORE CHANNELS UP THERE.

I WANT QUALITY OVER QUANTITY, Comprendo?

I agree. But dont say it in the new channel thread. We do NOT have the bandwidth for more channels:rolleyes: Voom needs to stop and think about what they are doing. If this is what we are headed for Im gone to Dish, infact D* may offer the same quality if Voom keeps shoe horning in channels on Rainbow1.

I'm just hopping that the addition of new channels yesterday doesn't mean that VOOM is is done tweaking. I still think that with more tweaking they should be able to get better quality than before.

HELP!!!!!!
Cartoon network looks HORRIBLE. The blocks and lines are all over the screen. Strange symbols and trails all over the picture..

HELP!!!!!!

We are missing our Adult Swim cartoons.

Thanks,

danielle_s said:
I'm starting to wonder if when they changed all the encoders for the channels, it was like starting over.
They had channel 700 running the Harmonics for quite some time before the cutover, so they know how much bandwidth needs to be allocated to obtain a decent picture. My greatest fear is that Voom will become the Dish Network of HD. (Note: Dish's HD is fantastic, their SD sucks the wad and I am afraid Voom is trying to add too much, too soon and just don't have the bandwidth to accomodate it.) :(

I agree with everyone else............the picture is not as good as it was. Less sharp, lacks the 3D effect it had before. I'm not sure what they did but it is not meeting my expectations right now. You buy HD for the quality not the quantity. I signed up with Voom for both and one is missing now. Hope that it is only temporary.

FWIW, I never thought Voom had the 3D WOW on any channels. The best they had was Rave. Comparing Voom to HDNET on Dish, well, there is no comparison. I also thought Voom looked better before.

I know what they are doing, they are slowly cranking up the bandwidth until we say "WOW, now that's a great picture", even though it won't be. They are feeding us crap, then when we get escargot, we'll think it's great, when what we actually want is Filet Mignon or Caviar.

I think what some people are seeing is the difference in gamma between the two systems. With different gamma settings, your picture can appear flat or on the other hand more 3d like. I think the "more 3d like" was probably overdone causing problems with the darker shades in the picture.

I prefer what we're now getting (in terms of gamma) as I can better optimize the picture on my TV.

I'm sorry. Gamma may be different, but the softness and pixelization blockiness is still horrible on almost all of the SD channels. The HD varies some but it not as severely bad. Some of the SD is hardly enjoyable or watchable at times. PLEASE don't let this be the new norm!!!!

I hope we still hear they are promising to fix this. Call to CSRs - both reps didn't even know about the harmonic compression changeover. We are going to have to be very vocal about this!

When is the projected change to MPEG4?

Wally said:
I'm sorry. Gamma may be different, but the softness and pixelization blockiness is still horrible on almost all of the SD channels. The HD varies some but it not as severely bad. Some of the SD is hardly enjoyable or watchable at times. PLEASE don't let this be the new norm!!!!

I have to agree. The last few nights cartoon network has been unwatchable.
I have seen so many fragments at some times it appears like they are running 2 versions out of sync..

DarrellP said:
FWIW, I never thought Voom had the 3D WOW on any channels. The best they had was Rave. Comparing Voom to HDNET on Dish, well, there is no comparison. I also thought Voom looked better before.

I know what they are doing, they are slowly cranking up the bandwidth until we say "WOW, now that's a great picture", even though it won't be. They are feeding us crap, then when we get escargot, we'll think it's great, when what we actually want is Filet Mignon or Caviar.

Wow, I am starting to think this may be true. A week since they brought the new encoders on line and these problems still aren't fixed.

I am sorry, but it doesn't take this long to "tweak". Gosh I hate that word, it is such a copout. I won't let any of my staff use it.

Sorry again I am just disappointed after having a couple of months of great PQ, suddenly finding out that Voom may shut down of service, then having to deal with the degraded PQ.

I watched College Basketball on ESPNHD last night and PQ was pretty dam good :yes Also, watched the Microcosmos doumentary in WorldCinema and it was, IMO, one of the best PQ I ever seen in VOOM. :cool:
Later I briefly watched FoxNews and the PQ sucked :mad:
I hope all this means that they're tweaking the HD channels first and will do the SD's later.

Walter, I watched the Microcosmos and agree, it looked awesome, but then I tuned in Basketball on Worldsport for a few minutes and it looked about as bad as a KGW Blazer's broadcast.

Walter L. said:
I watched College Basketball on ESPNHD last night and PQ was pretty dam good :yes Also, watched the Microcosmos doumentary in WorldCinema and it was, IMO, one of the best PQ I ever seen in VOOM. :cool:
Later I briefly watched FoxNews and the PQ sucked :mad:
I hope all this means that they're tweaking the HD channels first and will do the SD's later.

Walter,

I did catch part of Microcosmos doc (right after the Kestrel doc) and will agree that this transmission was top notch. The segment I did watch didn't have a lot of motion so I don't think the software was being taxed too much.
However changing to Monster right before the start the next movie and the Fying Saucer intro had the same pixelation problems as before.

(watching those 2 snails that close was .... well ...yuck)

Hey, is it just me or are the SD channels below channel 300 better in picture quality than those above. Take a look at those below ESPNHD and those above. What do you think?

Spike, I agree with you on that one! It seems TCM & AMC have always been pretty good. If all the SD could look that good, I just might watch something.

Spike said:
Hey, is it just me or are the SD channels below channel 300 better in picture quality than those above. Take a look at those below ESPNHD and those above. What do you think?
Meybe they're tweaking channels in numerical order. Oh hell, I'm trying to stay positive.

SEAN OR SCOTT: Have you hear something from the VOOM engineers about how the tweaking is going? Are they still tweaking? Are they still monitoring this thread?

Yes, they are. They are also working on the sparklies SD channels. You will see soon no more sparklies channels. Keep posting. They are very much involved in making it working.

Just to tell you from the work it involves is not as easy as 1-2-3. I do not want to shoot down anyone's message here but it is not that easy and it is not an exact science either as there are various variables involved.

Any feedback positive or negative is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)