Harmonic Encoder Improvements? (Feedback Need it)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sparklies

I noticed Sparklies or a scramble Picture on Cartoon Network it happens allot they need to work on that Channel i have to watch that channel. :D

I agree with you on cartoon network, that channel has to be the worst. I am a big adult swim watcher and it is painful to watch. I almost switch over to cable to watch it but it is only a little better.

I record a 2 hour block on Disney for my daughter every day from 9-11 am and the PQ has been pretty awful since the encoders went active. We used to be able to watch the dvr recordings in LP mode (like long play 6 hour mode on a vcr) but now, even watching live on my pj, the PQ is downright yucky.

Watching the Heat play the Timberwolves on TNTHD. While the PQ is stunning, a fair amount of movement softens the area of movement more than I've ever seen. I find this watching Soccer on Worldsport too. I do not remember seeing this before the new encoders.

Timberwolves on TNT tonight

Also watching the Timberwolves on TNT tonight. Have to admit that overall this is the best pictute quality I have seen on ANY sports event in a long time. Colors vivid.....detail extraordinary.....contrast perfect....back to that 3D effect I have heard others mention. One of those special times that my Mitz RPTV calibration seems to really shine thru. Don't see the 'softness' I saw SOFTWIZ mention. I will look closer however.

Scott in Minneapolis

Rave not as good as before

RAVE HD has developed audio dropout and a freezing of the picture in the last week or so.

Sean, do you know if the Harmonic encoders utilize statistical multiplexing? I assume they do, it would be really dumb to use encoders that weren't.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, it does.

Sean, what model of Harmonic Encoders does Voom use? I was on their website and was going to download the PDFs to read more about how they work and compare them to the previous Motorola encoders.

I watched the Praying Mantis show on DiscoveryHD and as long as the image was static, it had the 3D effect, it was awesome, one of the best images I have yet to see on Voom, but as soon as there was movement, there was noise and pixelation.

I hope they get this figured out soon, I would love for all of the HD to look like this show did while static.

Watching The Rundown on MAXHD right now and the sound is about 1 second ahead of the picture. It's quite annoying. Anyone else experiencing this?

DarrellP said:
I watched the Praying Mantis show on DiscoveryHD and as long as the image was static, it had the 3D effect, it was awesome, one of the best images I have yet to see on Voom, but as soon as there was movement, there was noise and pixelation.

I hope they get this figured out soon, I would love for all of the HD to look like this show did while static.

I agreed. The main problem is whenever there is movement or the images fade to cut to another video frame.

Watched voom for about 2 hours last night and the picture was AMAZING (on the HD channels anyway). I think we're getting close to the PQ we were getting before the encoder switch.. the 106" does not lie!

I watched College Basketball on ESPN-HD last night and NBA Basketball on TNT-HD and made the same observations than many of you. Static images look razor-sharp (almost like 3D) :yes , but as soon as there was movement or close-ups, there was noise and pixelation :no.

maceddie said:
RAVE HD has developed audio dropout and a freezing of the picture in the last week or so.
I noticed this watching farm aid on wednesday night. Very annoying. Then last night I went home and it was doing this on all of the channels except ota and the guide was lagging and it took about 45 seconds to change the channel.

When I went to check the ota channels, all the ones I had previously hidden were now un-hidden. i went in about 6 or 7 times to hide them and they kept unhiding. I called voom and explained the situation ( i'm not for sure how the guy i was speaking to got hired in the first place) and the guy started going into his explanation how voom doesn't guarantee you can get all of your local channels...... I explain again. Get put on hold for 5 minutes. He comes back, asks what exactly i mean by hiding the channels, explain AGAIN, get put on hold another 2 minutes. Guy comes back says he's sending out a "refresher" signal, call back if still having trouble. Thank you Voom, for hiring retards.

I soft booted the system and the signal cut out seems to have gone away along with the guide and channel changing issues, but the channel hiding issue is still there. Is this a known problem? Anyone else experiencing this?

d151b said:
I noticed this watching farm aid on wednesday night. Very annoying. Then last night I went home and it was doing this on all of the channels except ota and the guide was lagging and it took about 45 seconds to change the channel.

When I went to check the ota channels, all the ones I had previously hidden were now un-hidden. i went in about 6 or 7 times to hide them and they kept unhiding. I called voom and explained the situation ( i'm not for sure how the guy i was speaking to got hired in the first place) and the guy started going into his explanation how voom doesn't guarantee you can get all of your local channels...... I explain again. Get put on hold for 5 minutes. He comes back, asks what exactly i mean by hiding the channels, explain AGAIN, get put on hold another 2 minutes. Guy comes back says he's sending out a "refresher" signal, call back if still having trouble. Thank you Voom, for hiring retards.

I soft booted the system and the signal cut out seems to have gone away along with the guide and channel changing issues, but the channel hiding issue is still there. Is this a known problem? Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, I'm having problems with hiding channels, and other issues, after receipt of my local Super DMA. Check out my post and post your problems at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=393793&postcount=12 - the VOOM/Motora engineers should be monitoring this thread. In my opinion, OTA/PSIP/Channle Mapping issues have the potential to render the Moto STB unstable.

it just shows a single quote. can you list the thread link?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts